Post-Game Talk: Jinx?

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Funny, but not the case.

Look, if this was Omark, or Schremp, who were both annoying all day then I could see this kind of claim. Wouldn't even deny it. I disliked those players.

Yamamoto is not a dislikable kind of guy.

My concern with the player is about 3 things;

1)Smallest player in the NHL.

2) Does not seem to possess the outstanding skillsets that players of such size seem to require in NHL.

3)Takes a lot of punishment. That he doesn't avoid hits I realize can be seen as a positive. But physics wise it has ominous implications. I simply don't think this player can endure longterm NHL play. Either injury, fatigue, exhaustion will be impacts.

Finally, if I was too smart would I spend so much time posting here, and managing to take dumb positions? As I think we all do from time to time.
Are there any other types of players you discriminate against? Or is it just the small ones?

Reactions: TB12

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The poster was responding to notions that Nuge was knocking it out of the ballpark lately. It would seem natural, and helpful for @Dnicks to mention how many of those were PP goals and were empty net goals. PP points being a disclaimer as they can often be unit driven rather than player specific driven and RNH is one of the most insignificant pieces on that first unit PP. Empty net goals coming with disclaimer because they are not normative dataset, and do not require beating a goalie. They are obviously different situations than general EV play implies.

I think we'll leave it at this. And in a first ranked NHL power play I don't see any insignificant pieces and I don't think the players themselves or coaches would either.

Reactions: nabob and TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think we'll leave it at this. And in a first ranked NHL power play I don't see any insignificant pieces and I don't think the players themselves or coaches would either.

You could put anybody in there like, Chiasson, Maroon, Kass, even a Gagner working that half boards and the results would be nearly identical because McDrai are clearly moving the PP results. Take them out of the equation and the Oilers PP is nothing. Clearly. You do know Nuge has less Pts/minute G's/min than anybody getting regular minutes in that first unit PP.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
You could put anybody in there like, Chiasson, Maroon, Kass, even a Gagner working that half boards and the results would be nearly identical because McDrai are clearly moving the PP results. Take them out of the equation and the Oilers PP is nothing. Clearly. You do know Nuge has less Pts/minute G's/min than anybody getting regular minutes in that first unit PP.

He's a proven power play contributor and has been since his rookie year. It is naive and against coaching wisdom to think he can be replaced so easily. I get your player bias - Draisaitl apparently doesn't do anything wrong; Nuge is soft and weak; and small players can't play. Keep your beliefs, I'm not here to change them. I looked at context missing in this thread - a big win - and posted some additional information that disputes the contributions of Nugent Hopkins and some bias that seems to exist around the player.

Carry on...

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He's a proven power play contributor and has been since his rookie year. It is naive and against coaching wisdom to think he can be replaced so easily. I get your player bias - Draisaitl apparently doesn't do anything wrong; Nuge is soft and weak; and small players can't play. Keep your beliefs, I'm not here to change them. I looked at context missing in this thread - a big win - and posted some additional information that disputes the contributions of Nugent Hopkins and some bias that seems to exist around the player.

Carry on...

Strawman argument, carry on.

Nuge is a talented player that has settled for less than he can be. Certainly he can play well at the highest level of play. Certainly he regularly doesn't leave it all on the ice. He could be more than he is.

But that is aside from the obvious notion that McDrai run this PP and are all over it. They are directly involved in almost all the scoring plays that occur on the PP. They move the PP results. Are you actually debating that?

Finally, Nuge has decent PP career production because he's almost always been on PP's with players that are appreciably better producers and finishers than he is.

but that's enough. This thread is done.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The poster was responding to notions that Nuge was knocking it out of the ballpark lately. It would seem natural, and helpful for @Dnicks to mention how many of those were PP goals and were empty net goals. PP points being a disclaimer as they can often be unit driven rather than player specific driven and RNH is one of the most insignificant pieces on that first unit PP. Empty net goals coming with disclaimer because they are not normative dataset, and do not require beating a goalie. They are obviously different situations than general EV play implies.

Don't take this the wrong way bud, but it needs to be said. I appreciate a lot of your comments on here. Some are poignant and generally agreeable and others, not so much. And we all have those. However, I see you doing the same thing with the hockey team that you have done with our football team. You latch on to a fav and trumpet everything he does. Everyone has their favourites and nothing wrong with that. The big difference is that with you, it tends to be to the exclusivity of anyone else on the team. You had Mike Reilly as some sort of Demi-god, who could do no wrong, at any time, even to the point of almost calling the rest of the team a bunch of plugs, who should be privileged to even be sitting in the same dressing room as MR. Rarely acknowledging the accomplishments of anyone else, and then, when doing so, nearly always including MR as the main helping hand.

I see the same thing going on here with Leon. Everyone knows he is a great player and we all love him. But your seeming obsession with everything he does, and then putting down most others at the same time tends to rub a lot of people the wrong way. Understandable. And then , this tends to breed some unfair contempt towards the player amongst some posters. Love Drai all you want, man. But he has his warts and pimples, just like everyone else. Do as you wish, but if I may be so bold as to suggest to judge some of the other players on their own merits and not always slagging (insinuating) them as not "worthy to be playing with or near Drai."

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Don't take this the wrong way bud, but it needs to be said. I appreciate a lot of your comments on here. Some are poignant and generally agreeable and others, not so much. And we all have those. However, I see you doing the same thing with the hockey team that you have done with our football team. You latch on to a fav and trumpet everything he does. Everyone has their favourites and nothing wrong with that. The big difference is that with you, it tends to be to the exclusivity of anyone else on the team. You had Mike Reilly as some sort of Demi-god, who could do no wrong, at any time, even to the point of almost calling the rest of the team a bunch of plugs, who should be privileged to even be sitting in the same dressing room as MR. Rarely acknowledging the accomplishments of anyone else, and then, when doing so, nearly always including MR as the main helping hand.

I see the same thing going on here with Leon. Everyone knows he is a great player and we all love him. But your seeming obsession with everything he does, and then putting down most others at the same time tends to rub a lot of people the wrong way. Understandable. And then , this tends to breed some unfair contempt towards the player amongst some posters. Love Drai all you want, man. But he has his warts and pimples, just like everyone else. Do as you wish, but if I may be so bold as to suggest to judge some of the other players on their own merits and not always slagging (insinuating) them as not "worthy to be playing with or near Drai."

C'mon. Seriously, have I been targeted enough in one thread? The thread is done, I've been called stupid, dumb, anything under the sun in one thread, I've avoided responding in kind at all. I get blamed for taking over a thread when people keep RESPONDING to my posts and even when they keep responding after I've said its done, lets move on. I've even acknowledged I make stupid comments from time to time, like anybody else. But everybody wants to continue weighing in.

By all means bring it to another thread, but these comments don't belong in this one anymore. Its a dead thread, the parrot is dead, its deceased..;)

if you want to PM, or anybody else, with any questions feel free. I've explained my approach with players several times, probably more amenable to doing that than almost anybody on the board.

No small players were harmed in the making of this post.

Reactions: The Batman

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I view it as a net positive that RNH's line is on the ice for empty net goals which of course includes Draisaitl in this work. As I posted above, Draisaitl has 8 non power play points in his last 19games. McDavid potted 11. Nugent Hopkins had 7 non power play points in the same duration (though 16 games having missed 3 games during this time). Considering RNH missed games due to a hand injury and by reports was affected by this injury before finally going on injury reserve, he held his own production wise with the Oilers big guns. Not sure why you opted to call out his production here?

EDIT: I changed my language to non power play points from 5 on 5 because I looked at the game boxscores and can't distinguish game situations like empty net. Although as above, I view it positive for a line and players to be deemed responsible to protect a late game lead situation.

It's definitely a positive to be trusted to be out with the empty net.

I'm just saying it's a little silly to imply RNH is flourishing offensively away from Neal(and that Neal is now killing McDavid's offense) when he has one 5v5 point with Drai/Yam and that was four games ago.

edit: Also, I made a mistake. He only has one empty net point(on Archibald's goal the other night). The other point was 4v4 on the McDavid vs. Rielly goal.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
might be the most toxic PGT in history whether it was a win or a loss. Not sure what happened to you over the last few days but I hope you’re alright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad