Post-Game Talk: Jinx?

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
If anything, Yamamoto forces Draisaitl and Nuge to skate/move their feet. Guy hustles every shift and it looks bad on the 2 veterans if they're just coasting and both have been guilty of that for parts of the season
I've noticed that with Nuge already.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nuge finally playing away from Neal and producing. McD needs Neal off his last me ASAP.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
so you really don’t care about the team or winning at all, you only care about what’s best for Drai?

It’s interesting that before you were banned under a different name you did the exact same thing with Gagner. You’ve hated Nuge from the moment he was drafted because he took some of the spotlight from Sam. You also complained non stop about his linemates and blamed all of Gagner’s shortcomings as a player on other players.

do you even consider yourself to be an Oilers fan?

It’s amazing that having another account when banned is against the rules but hey.

Oilers win and it gets derailed with a crappy unfounded opinion based on nothing more than trying to create a buzz.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Everyone Is Stupid Except Me 10012020185147.jpg

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
New little wrinkle on the Oilers powerplay tonight. McDavid swinging out all the way outside the zone to build speed and/or get lost a little bit outside the coverage? Pretty interesting, and something I haven't noticed any other teams doing.

I can see how that can be very effective, creates a mini 1 on 1 that McDavid will always win. If that high PKer breaks formation, you've got Nuge wide open. If he stays put you've got a lane to the net, forcing a net front PK'er to slide over, creating even more dangerous passing lanes.

Reminded me of LaF in WJC

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He's still just producing on the PP.

3 points at 5v5 in his last 19 games. 1 with Neal/Chiasson, 1 with Khaira/Gagner and 1 with Drai/Yam.

Not great. But in context Draisaitl has 8 5x5 points in the same 19 games. McDavid potted 11 5 x 5. Of course we saw McDavid and Draisaitl play the majority of these games and big minutes together over that time. And we know how their line and individual +/- faired over this tough stretch.

Big win has been the play and scoring contributions of the bottom six over the past half dozen games. And this team is winning with McDavid continuing to dominate as an elite centreman and Draisaitl as a 2C with quality line mates. Huge road trip with balanced lines a very big part of team success.

Reactions: Duke74 and Aerchon

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He's still just producing on the PP.

3 points at 5v5 in his last 19 games. 1 with Neal/Chiasson, 1 with Khaira/Gagner and 1 with Drai/Yam.
Not sure what u r talking about.
Nuge has 10pts in last 8GP.. 5 of which are ES.

Maybe goals instead of points??

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Basically playoffs unless they are thinking calgary will finish ahead of them anyway with Vegas or Arizona. But all three might make that case.

I'd rather take points from both of those pathetic excuses for teams than give them an easy ride, there's 10 points up for grabs and they need all 10.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Five points on the PP. Three at 5v5. Two with the empty net.

I view it as a net positive that RNH's line is on the ice for empty net goals which of course includes Draisaitl in this work. As I posted above, Draisaitl has 8 non power play points in his last 19games. McDavid potted 11. Nugent Hopkins had 7 non power play points in the same duration (though 16 games having missed 3 games during this time). Considering RNH missed games due to a hand injury and by reports was affected by this injury before finally going on injury reserve, he held his own production wise with the Oilers big guns. Not sure why you opted to call out his production here?

EDIT: I changed my language to non power play points from 5 on 5 because I looked at the game boxscores and can't distinguish game situations like empty net. Although as above, I view it positive for a line and players to be deemed responsible to protect a late game lead situation.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I view it as a net positive that RNH's line is on the ice for empty net goals which of course includes Draisaitl in this work. As I posted above, Draisaitl has 8 non power play points in his last 19games. McDavid potted 11. Nugent Hopkins had 7 non power play points in the same duration (though 16 games having missed 3 games during this time). Considering RNH missed games due to a hand injury and by reports was affected by this injury before finally going on injury reserve, he held his own production wise with the Oilers big guns. Not sure why you opted to call out his production here?

EDIT: I changed my language to non power play points from 5 on 5 because I looked at the game boxscores and can't distinguish game situations like empty net. Although as above, I view it positive for a line and players to be deemed responsible to protect a late game lead situation.

You know that empty net goals are considered asterisks. They are not standard EV goals because they of course do not require the regular hockey action of beating a goalie. As such they are not indicative, they are rarer instances and even though they can feature prominently in game outcomes they should be differentiated for the reasons stated.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Funny, but not the case.

Look, if this was Omark, or Schremp, who were both annoying all day then I could see this kind of claim. Wouldn't even deny it. I disliked those players.

Yamamoto is not a dislikable kind of guy.

My concern with the player is about 3 things;

1)Smallest player in the NHL.

2) Does not seem to possess the outstanding skillsets that players of such size seem to require in NHL.

3)Takes a lot of punishment. That he doesn't avoid hits I realize can be seen as a positive. But physics wise it has ominous implications. I simply don't think this player can endure longterm NHL play. Either injury, fatigue, exhaustion will be impacts.

Finally, if I was too smart would I spend so much time posting here, and managing to take dumb positions? As I think we all do from time to time.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not great. But in context Draisaitl has 8 5x5 points in the same 19 games. McDavid potted 11 5 x 5. Of course we saw McDavid and Draisaitl play the majority of these games and big minutes together over that time. And we know how their line and individual +/- faired over this tough stretch.

Big win has been the play and scoring contributions of the bottom six over the past half dozen games. And this team is winning with McDavid continuing to dominate as an elite centreman and Draisaitl as a 2C with quality line mates. Huge road trip with balanced lines a very big part of team success.

Why is 19 games the sample? Is there some demarcation that is significant I'm not aware of? The trouble with setting arbitrary segments is they are arbitrary and distort in thier own way THROUGH the time sample selected.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
You know that empty net goals are considered asterisks. They are not standard EV goals because they of course do not require the regular hockey action of beating a goalie. As such they are not indicative, they are rarer instances and even though they can feature prominently in game outcomes they should be differentiated for the reasons stated.

As I wrote, I just looked at the box scores of the past 19 games which don't show specific situations for goals, therefore changed my language to non-power play points. The central issue remains about the relative production of the three players over that sample size versus a poster choosing to isolate one.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Why is 19 games the sample? Is there some demarcation that is significant I'm not aware of? The trouble with setting arbitrary segments is they are arbitrary and distort in thier own way THROUGH the time sample selected.

You should read the thread. It's not my unit of measurement but one that another poster chose in isolation 5x5 production of Nugent Hopkins. Seemed strange to me so I looked at some context over this time with Draisaitl and McDavid's results. Was a bit random in a thread celebrating a big win...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You should read the thread. It's not my unit of measurement but one that another poster chose in isolation 5x5 production of Nugent Hopkins. Seemed strange to me so I looked at some context over this time with Draisaitl and McDavid's results. Was a bit random in a thread celebrating a big win...

The poster was responding to notions that Nuge was knocking it out of the ballpark lately. It would seem natural, and helpful for @Dnicks to mention how many of those were PP goals and were empty net goals. PP points being a disclaimer as they can often be unit driven rather than player specific driven and RNH is one of the most insignificant pieces on that first unit PP. Empty net goals coming with disclaimer because they are not normative dataset, and do not require beating a goalie. They are obviously different situations than general EV play implies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad