Post-Game Talk: Jinx?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Draisaitl has definitely upped his play the last few games....however, it seems all of us, except for one individual can admit that there was a stretch where he was playing absolutely horrible.
He was not very good for an extended stretch - the man even admitted it himself, so if anyone needed verification, there it was in black and white. But to a couple guys or so on here, he could do no wrong and it was everybody else's fault. Probably why people started to pile on a bit. Gawd, there was even one poster on here that implied Drai had done enough, he didn't need to do any backchecking or defensive play. His scoring was all that was needed. It was embarrassing.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So do Haas, Nygard, Kassian, RNH, Archibald and Sheahan. Why single out an AHL callup?

Guy has 3 pts in 5 games, is +3 and has a 25% shooting percentage so far. What do you want out of him? Pastrnak levels of production already?

I'm not panicking or anything. Not calling him a bust. He has lots of time to grow.

But I don't think it's an exaggeration to say a BIG concern with little Yamamoto is his lack of finish.

This isn't just his 5 games this year. Yamamoto, in his limited nhl career, but now 31 games over 3 years, has ALWAYS been gifted time with 2 of the best players on the planet and so far has consistently failed to finish a rather large amount of grade AAA chances. It happened in his first year, his second, and now his third.

In 31 games I "feel" like I've said 31 times, "damn, he needs to get those in the back of the net".

The goals he has gotten so far are literally the kind anyone could get.

Until he starts generating grade AAA scoring chances for others. Or starts finishing the grade AAA chances he has been given at a decent clip. It's a rather big concern for a player of his stature and skillset.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
so you really don’t care about the team or winning at all, you only care about what’s best for Drai?

It’s interesting that before you were banned under a different name you did the exact same thing with Gagner. You’ve hated Nuge from the moment he was drafted because he took some of the spotlight from Sam. You also complained non stop about his linemates and blamed all of Gagner’s shortcomings as a player on other players.

do you even consider yourself to be an Oilers fan?

Best part is I think Tippett said Draisaitl likes playing with Yamo haha

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yamamoto looks like a sure-fire NHLer to me. He's so good on the forecheck. Even if he isn't able to develop his finishing ability to a top-6 level, I think he's a 10 goal a year third liner at minimum. The Oilers could use some guys like that too, so even if that ends up being his limit I'm okay with that.

I also think that he would be pretty good on the PP once he's developed a bit at the NHL level. Could be one of those tweeners that fills in on the top line when injuries happen.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yamamoto looks like a sure-fire NHLer to me. He's so good on the forecheck. Even if he isn't able to develop his finishing ability to a top-6 level, I think he's a 10 goal a year third liner at minimum. The Oilers could use some guys like that too, so even if that ends up being his limit I'm okay with that.

I also think that he would be pretty good on the PP once he's developed a bit at the NHL level. Could be one of those tweeners that fills in on the top line when injuries happen.
He'll keep picking goals, imo, because he goes to the right and the hard areas and with his hands and skill, he can find that garbage to keep being good depth production.

Reactions: frag2

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Normally I agree with most of what Drivesaitl says, but I have to disagree with him on this point. Since his recall, Yamamoto has looked excellent, far better than either of his previous stints here. In fact, I think he's injected some energy into the team that I felt was missing on many nights. Although he isn't necessarily cashing on all of his chances, he's continuing to work hard and the goals will come with time. Hopefully starting against the Flamers on Saturday.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm not panicking or anything. Not calling him a bust. He has lots of time to grow.

But I don't think it's an exaggeration to say a BIG concern with little Yamamoto is his lack of finish.

This isn't just his 5 games this year. Yamamoto, in his limited nhl career, but now 31 games over 3 years, has ALWAYS been gifted time with 2 of the best players on the planet and so far has consistently failed to finish a rather large amount of grade AAA chances. It happened in his first year, his second, and now his third.

In 31 games I "feel" like I've said 31 times, "damn, he needs to get those in the back of the net".

The goals he has gotten so far are literally the kind anyone could get.

Until he starts generating grade AAA scoring chances for others. Or starts finishing the grade AAA chances he has been given at a decent clip. It's a rather big concern for a player of his stature and skillset.

you do realize that a good NHL goalie stops between 91-92% of all shots right? Why is Yamamoto held to this standard that he needs to be a sniper so early in his career?

the way he is playing now he looks like he’d be a lock to get 20-20 next year while being our best forechecker. Might even develop into a good PKer too. That’s a win.

it’s like posters would rather a player who creates nothing and isn’t in position to create and potentially cash in on scoring chances than a guy who, so far this year, has been.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Normally I agree with most of what Drivesaitl says, but I have to disagree with him on this point. Since his recall, Yamamoto has looked excellent, far better than either of his previous stints here. In fact, I think he's injected some energy into the team that I felt was missing on many nights. Although he isn't necessarily cashing on all of his chances, he's continuing to work hard and the goals will come with time. Hopefully starting against the Flamers on Saturday.

If anything, Yamamoto forces Draisaitl and Nuge to skate/move their feet. Guy hustles every shift and it looks bad on the 2 veterans if they're just coasting and both have been guilty of that for parts of the season

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
you do realize that a good NHL goalie stops between 91-92% of all shots right? Why is Yamamoto held to this standard that he needs to be a sniper so early in his career?

the way he is playing now he looks like he’d be a lock to get 20-20 next year while being our best forechecker. Might even develop into a good PKer too. That’s a win.

it’s like posters would rather a player who creates nothing and isn’t in position to create and potentially cash in on scoring chances than a guy who, so far this year, has been.

Think we got some serious over excitement for Yama.

As I explained Yama is playing with 2 of the world best. Players like Yakupov, Maroon, and Chiasson have done a much better job under the same circumstances.

Believing tiny Yamamoto can be anything other than a top 6 scorer, at this point despite a feisty start to this year, seems optimistic.

I'm not saying it's not possible, and I see why everyone is so excited, but the beer goggles are certainly on for many at the moment.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

You're arguing with a guy that claimed he saw Yamamoto play this preseason...;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
you aren't understanding what im saying, Drive wants us to help Drai out, thats fine and dandy, but look we're winning now and he still isn't satisfied with Drai's linemates. He has made it very clear he would rather Drai put up many points over the Oilers winning and I dont care for that.

Helping the Oilers, and helping Drai out are not mutually exclusive. The current results are limited sample. Is this direction sustainable? The team didn't even play well last night.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

I'm with Matty on this one.

Nygard isn't getting nearly enough press for the game he had.

Hopefully it's a sign of things to come. Coming from overseas is obviously a big adjustment for these guys, so maybe he's putting the north american game together a bit now and will continue to improve.

Reactions: nabob and Aerchon

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Awesome road trip so far and it’s great to be in the thick of things at this point in the season. That might have been a breakout game for Nygard, I felt like he was dragging the team into the fight during that bad start (along with Sheahan and Archibald).

As for Yamamoto, I’ll take the captain’s word for it when he says that he has provided a boost of energy, over the opinion of hfboard posters. Before he was recalled we were staring into the abyss. He hasn’t been taking over games or anything but he’s been a significant piece of a team that seems to have found its mojo again.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Think we got some serious over excitement for Yama.

As I explained Yama is playing with 2 of the world best. Players like Yakupov, Maroon, and Chiasson have done a much better job under the same circumstances.

Believing tiny Yamamoto can be anything other than a top 6 scorer, at this point despite a feisty start to this year, seems optimistic.

I'm not saying it's not possible, and I see why everyone is so excited, but the beer goggles are certainly on for many at the moment.

So basically you’re just telling others that they should never be happy or excited about something because things might not turn out. heaven forbid anyone is optimistic about a player who has excelled against his peers at every level despite his size lol. You can have a shitty negative attitude all you want, but to tell others they should feel the same way is ridiculous.

Reality is that there is no way Yamamoto should have played a NHL game before this season. You’re still judging him as the player who should have been sent to junior instead of staying up for a cup of coffee.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
He was not very good for an extended stretch - the man even admitted it himself, so if anyone needed verification, there it was in black and white. But to a couple guys or so on here, he could do no wrong and it was everybody else's fault. Probably why people started to pile on a bit. Gawd, there was even one poster on here that implied Drai had done enough, he didn't need to do any backchecking or defensive play. His scoring was all that was needed. It was embarrassing.

Everybody seems to been needed that extra energy boost Yamamoto bringed up, like everyone is tried out with the outher one - no combinations or energy was left. Draisaitl seems to do his best whe he is paired with a good brain (Nuge/McDavid) and a player that gives an extra spark (Yamamoto/ one again McDavid and to some extent Kassian).
McDavid seems to need another brain, that can read him off. And Nuge needs someone that is dynamic, and has some edge.
So why not bring Benson up. He seems to be everything that Nuge isnt.

Draisaitl/Nuge McDavid Neal
Benson Draisaitl/Nuge Yamamoto
Nygård Sheahan Chiasson
Archibald Haas Kassian

awful is that this team has ONE pure LW, Nygård.
The rest are converted from C or RW...

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Everybody seems to been needed that extra energy boost Yamamoto bringed up, like everyone is tried out with the outher one - no combinations or energy was left. Draisaitl seems to do his best whe he is paired with a good brain (Nuge/McDavid) and a player that gives an extra spark (Yamamoto/ one again McDavid and to some extent Kassian).
McDavid seems to need another brain, that can read him off. And Nuge needs someone that is dynamic, and has some edge.
So why not bring Benson up. He seems to be everything that Nuge isnt.

Draisaitl/Nuge McDavid Neal
Benson Draisaitl/Nuge Yamamoto
Nygård Sheahan Chiasson
Archibald Haas Kassian

awful is that this team has ONE pure LW, Nygård.
The rest are converted from C or RW...
Nuge is better as a LW than a C IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad