Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Vesey is a cap dump to fill the roster for one season. What the hell were you expecting for a 3rd round pick?
Vesey is garbage that we didn’t need, why should we fill this hole with garbage if your coach says before the start of the season that the team is ready to fight for the playoffs, but since your GM is an idiot and fills the team with garbage, this becomes a difficult task.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Vesey is garbage that we didn’t need, why should we fill this hole with gale if your coach says before the start of the season that the team is ready to fight for the playoffs, but since your GM is an idiot and fills the team with garbage, this becomes a difficult task.
Let’s go take a look at the dozen threads complaining that Tage and Mittelstadt are being gifted roster spots. Now they’re in the AHL because of the excess contracts acquired like Vesey, and it’s also not good enough

I swear the big picture of being a GM is way too complicated for the average fan to comprehend.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Let’s go take a look at the dozen threads complaining that Tage and Mittelstadt are being gifted roster spots. Now they’re in the AHL because of the excess contracts acquired like Vesey, and it’s also not good enough

I swear the big picture of being a GM is way too complicated for the average fan to comprehend.
This is complete nonsense, smart people who at least know a bit about hockey understand that our GM is doing bad things and cannot build this team. I’m sure that with Botterill we will never get into the playoffs.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
This is complete nonsense, smart people who at least know a bit about hockey understand that our GM is doing bad things and cannot build this team. I’m sure that with Botterill we will never get into the playoffs.
Wicked Smaht People

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I'd a team that's up against the cap and needing to rebuild its prospect base to draft a player with the pick.
So, you wanted to wait 5 years for a 3rd round pick to develop and force Krueger to play Tage and Mittelstadt this year instead?

Ya can’t have both. And you can’t force FA to sign in Buffalo

mechaworm

Nov 5, 2019
Vesey seems like a poor scouting move. He's got the skillset of an NHL tweener. You don't spend picks on those types of bodies. You pull them out of the AHL-NHL netherspace with a slightly generous contract.

I could see how, just as many fans reacted originally, one might see his stat line and think we were getting a borderline middle-six forward just entering his prime. But that's what scouting is for.

It's a wasted third. If it's any consolation, it's less of a waste than Murray's wasted third for the same player.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Vesey seems like a poor scouting move. He's got the skillset of an NHL tweener. You don't spend picks on those types of bodies. You pull them out of the AHL-NHL netherspace with a slightly generous contract.

I could see how, just as many fans reacted originally, one might see his stat line and think we were getting a borderline middle-six forward just entering his prime. But that's what scouting is for.

It's a wasted third. If it's any consolation, it's less of a waste than Murray's wasted third for the same player.
No, it's actually worse because having Vesey on our team is actively hurting our team because he is so bad. GMTM gave away a pick for nothing, Botts used a pick to inflict a negative value player on our roster.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
It has. Granted, he sacked most of their amateur scouting staff and their former head pro scout (Christiano) when he took over, so these are his guys swinging and missing on these players.

We have 3 pro scouts listed in our staff directory, and for what it's worth 2 of the 3 have been here since 2014. I'm not sure who the head of pro scouting currently is (Beamish?)
Of the two new hires, one is a local guy with ties to USNTDP (Crowe) and the other has since moved onto the Wild.

In light of both our acquisitions and our rumored targets (Sheary, Galchenyuck, Vesey, Frolik, even the target assets of the ROR trade), I'd personally like to see bigger shakeup.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I don't think it's asking too much of a GM in his 3rd year with the team to plug some of the obvious roster holes with actual solutions rather than cap garbage and prospects who aren't ready.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I don't think it's asking too much of a GM in his 3rd year with the team to plug some of the obvious roster holes with actual solutions rather than cap garbage and prospects who aren't ready.

Can’t force UFAs to sign in Buffalo. Rumors made it clear Botterill was not shy making offers in UFA. And had higher dollar offers than the teams who landed the players.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

they couldn’t even come out of the gate with the best players among their own roster (each year)... expecting them to identify good players on other teams is an enormous stretch

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You need assets of value to trade

Or are we going to cry about turning 3rd round picks into NHL players as was the whine that started this tirade?
Are you serious now? What the hell are valuable assets needed to get a guy like Haula or Soderberg? Botterill just trade off these picks on players that we do not need.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The Rangers get the first pick of the 3rd round (65) for Vesey. In 2016 the Sabres traded the 87th pick to Nashville for the rights to sign him. I'm going to laugh if we trade our two 3rd rounders, 88 & 95 for 65.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
The Rangers get the first pick of the 3rd round (65) for Vesey. In 2016 the Sabres traded the 87th pick to Nashville for the rights to sign him. I'm going to laugh if we trade our two 3rd rounders, 88 & 95 for 65.
We did get a year of “production” from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad