Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Will Vesey go through a streak with 1 goal in 29 games? Or how about 3 in three-and-a-half months? If so, the appreciating will probably be similar.

Sam was goalless the first 9 games to start the season, 1 in his first 16, 2 his first 22 and 3 goals in the first TWENTY FIVE GAMES of the season.But of course not a peep was said. I love how Sheary is the one vilified for a bad stretch. And of course Botts is an idiot for moving a 4th round pick for our 4th leading scorer at forward this past year.

Sheary got 14 and a half minutes and didn't have the benefit of playing with Eichel or Skinner. Sheary isn't a star but he is a solid middle 6 option capable of .5 ppg. I don't care what anyone says, Sheary is a legit top 9 forward and was unlucky. Vesey has similar production to Sheary and that is a good thing. Vesey and Sheary can score 15-18 goals a piece and do it in 15 mins or less a game.

Reactions: Hasek

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Sam was goalless the first 9 games to start the season, 1 in his first 16, 2 his first 22 and 3 goals in the first TWENTY FIVE GAMES of the season.But of course not a peep was said. I love how Sheary is the one vilified for a bad stretch. And of course Botts is an idiot for moving a 4th round pick for our 4th leading scorer at forward this past year.

Sheary got 14 and a half minutes and didn't have the benefit of playing with Eichel or Skinner. Sheary isn't a star but he is a solid middle 6 option capable of .5 ppg. I don't care what anyone says, Sheary is a legit top 9 forward and was unlucky. Vesey has similar production to Sheary and that is a good thing. Vesey and Sheary can score 15-18 goals a piece and do it in 15 mins or less a game.
Because Reinhart's contributions aren't strictly limited to finishing plays.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

One? Really? Pominville has been roasted for his two lengthy disappearances each of the last two seasons. Sam caught hell for his start two years ago. Okposo is thrown under the bus with regularity for his prolonged absence from the scoresheet, regardless of his near-death experience. Kane's disappearance prior to being traded? Roundly criticized. Girgensons and Larsson, despite Sheary getting 4.5 times the starts in the offensive zone, get roasted. So I don't buy what your selling about who does or does not catch flak.

Sheary had the second highest deployment advantage as a Sabre since they started tracking that (12 years). He did f*** all with that.

Wasn't a problem for Skinner :D

If Sheary had half the first 57 games that Skinner did...

Bringing it back around to Vesey: he had top 6 minutes with the Rangers. If he's not in the Sabres top 6, it will be interesting to see if he can have the same output. Granted, no Howden is probably a plus, but will it balance out?

Reactions: sabremike

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I like him on Eichel's RW with Skinner as the LW. I know the advanced stats show that Krueger should split apart Skinner and Eichel, but they do form a very good top line. Vesey can play the Pominville role: go to the net, play in the corners, clean up some trash. Vesey is better at it that Pominville.

Then re-sign him long-term and keep the first line together.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Sheary gets crap because he's awful defensively. He's awful in terms of possession. If he's not scoring he's a waste.

I'm hoping Vesey is a bit better than that, but it's not the streakiness with Sheary. It's his being noticeably bad everywhere but the scoresheet.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Sheary gets crap because he's awful defensively. He's awful in terms of possession. If he's not scoring he's a waste.

I'm hoping Vesey is a bit better than that, but it's not the streakiness with Sheary. It's his being noticeably bad everywhere but the scoresheet.

Vesey thus far has been substantially worse defensively while also scoring less. Conor did have the benefit of better linemates. Shrug, I don't have much confidence in either of them anymore but they're only here one more year.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Vesey thus far has been substantially worse defensively while also scoring less. Conor did have the benefit of better linemates. Shrug, I don't have much confidence in either of them anymore but they're only here one more year.
If they each pitch in 15-20 goals on the middle two lines, that would be decent depth scoring.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If they each pitch in 15-20 goals on the middle two lines, that would be decent depth scoring.

It would be impressive to see Vesey hit 15 or more in third line minutes on this team. That would be noteworthy and perhaps push his deadline draft value if the Sabres are out of contention .

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
The fact that he goes to the net, tending toward the right side, to generate his chances, makes me want him to be the garbage man with Jack and Olofsson.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It shouldn't be written in stone. Skinner is capable of scoring and producing offense without a center like Eichel.

It’ll be interesting to see what they do there, but if they do give a nod to how well they played together last year, it seems like the choice would be to shift Sam to his own line particularly with Casey.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It shouldn't be written in stone. Skinner is capable of scoring and producing offense without a center like Eichel.

Lines are never written in stone.

But, a lot of Skinner's improvement in Shooting % and his jump to 40 goals last year was given to his chemistry with Eichel.

If that is the case, then I can see why RK would want to keep those two together for the bulk of the year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I agree it shouldn’t be written in stone. Flexibility and trying different options should always be on the coach’s mind for a team as bad as we’ve been.

That said, Jack and Skinner have play styles that compliment each other very well. I can’t remember if it was Sean Tierney or Evolving Wild but one tweeted some numbers for Jack and commented on his high rate of mid to longer range shots in the offensive zone. How that perfectly complimented Skinner’s game around the net.

Reactions: Paxon and Fezzy126

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Realistically Skinner is only good in the offensive zone and Eichel is one of the best in the league at controlled zone entries. It's a good fit for that reason alone. I'd like to see them start together at the beginning of the year (or Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart, which had success at the end of the year)

I think Botts has to realize eventually that we have way too many forwards that require offensive sheltering and aren't reliable enough to regularly start in the D zone (the reason I didn't like the Vesey signing at all). One thing that's inevitable is that Girgs/Larsson can for sure expect 80% + D-zone starts.

Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson (O zone tilted)
Johansson-ERod-Reinhart (D zone tilted)
Vesey-Mitts-Sheary (mostly O zone starts)
Girgs-Larsson-Okposo (mostly D zone starts)

Line 3 gets the least # of minutes.

edit: I honestly had no idea this was the Vesey thread

Last edited:
Reactions: Paxon

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I hated this trade this second it happened but I think the criticisms are a bit harsh. His whole line has been terrible not just him. It’s not like he was brought in to carry a line, I’d be shocked if you could get a player like that for a 3rd. I’d like to see him on the top line with Jack or at least given some better linemates than AHL Mitts and a Rodrigues who hasn’t been himself so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad