Speculation: Jimmy Vesey should be expendable

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
OK, I'm saying he was unknown by NHL hockey fans. It wasn't until he went on his "LeBron" tour of picking my team, that he gained any NHL relevance.

You mean it wasn't until he exercised his right to explore unrestricted free agency... and what's bad about that? Do you criticize a GM for scouting players all over the world to try and get the best team? Why criticize a player for exploring his options?

Reactions: Rangers_23

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
He'll be cheap and the Rangers have no winger depth. Don't see why he would be moved. He's nothing special and maybe he'll top up at being a decent third liner, can't complain at that since the Rangers got him for free.

Reactions: iSophagus and bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Remember when the Leafs wanted to sign him. He could have been a staple on the Matthews-Nylander line.

What a shame a decision like that turned out to be for him.
He actually did make it to the second round of the playoffs last year while having a very strong postseason. This year has been a tough one no doubt but next year the team could be competing for a playoff spot again.

Reactions: Lays and Rangers_23

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
You mean it wasn't until he exercised his right to explore unrestricted free agency... and what's bad about that? Do you criticize a GM for scouting players all over the world to try and get the best team? Why criticize a player for exploring his options?

I didn't criticize him for exercising his right to free agency. The original post was based upon the "importance" as Vesey as a NHLer. And almost all NCAA UFAs who have played 4 years in the NCAA have had middling at best NHL careers. Good for teams trying to find that diamond in the rough, but generally it has been a fruitless exercise. Good for Vesey for getting a fine education, and still landing a job in the NHL, and for playing for the team that he wanted.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Jimmy is not available anymore - he will sign a two years with us after his 3 goal show and 2 meaningless points for us last night. :)

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Nice to see he shoved a hat-trick up the bashers behinds last night.

Even with that "hat-trick he shoved up the bashers behinds last night", he still only has 5 goals and 0 assists over his last 19 games. That's averaging 15 minutes per game with plenty of PP time.

That is not playing on the PP which I believe he should.

He has played 220 minutes on the PP the past two seasons. His production and general performance on the power play certainly doesn't seem to warrant any more time than that.

He's only 24. I think he will start trending the right way soon. I would expect with PP time he will be a 20-25 G, 40-45 point guy next season.

He'll be 25 before next season starts. There aren't too many players that drastically improve after 25, especially not players that have already played 2 full NHL seasons. Like I said, he already plays 1:30 each game on the power play, I don't think he deserves that much time, much less more. And I can't see him ever getting the 20-25 assists that he would need to be a 35+ point player. He might legitimately be the worst passer in the NHL, at least the worst that plays over 10 minutes a game anyway.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Once again, the lack of knowledge on HF is mind boggling. Never ceases to amaze me how many posters on these boards still think this is 1980 when 20 goal scorers were 10 deep on every team. Vesey should be a good, two way, 20 goal guy the next 4-5 years. Get a clue. Most teams don't have a lot of 20 goal scorers.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Once again, the lack of knowledge on HF is mind boggling. Never ceases to amaze me how many posters on these boards still think this is 1980 when 20 goal scorers were 10 deep on every team. Vesey should be a good, two way, 20 goal guy the next 4-5 years. Get a clue. Most teams don't have a lot of 20 goal scorers.

Fine and dandy, but he needs to first, actually score 20 goals, and not be the absolute 9th circle of hell possession-wise while doing so.

So far, he's good with Namestnikov. I'll give that line a chance.

Reactions: haveandare

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
HF is the king of boards when it comes to giving up on 24 year old players and thinking every team has 8, twenty goal scores on the roster. The concept of doing research is lost on 95% the posters here.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
HF is the king of boards when it comes to giving up on 24 year old players and thinking every team has 8, twenty goal scores on the roster. The concept of doing research is lost on 95% the posters here.

"The concept of doing research" certainly seems lost on you. What does twenty goal scorer have to do with this thread? Even after the hat trick on the worst goalie in the NHL this season, he's still not even on pace for 20 goals over 82 games. He's decent at chipping in the occasional goal, no one is arguing that. He's awful to below average at almost everything else related to the game of hockey. That's the issue here. That and the fact that he is playing more minutes than he deserves, which inflates his goal numbers and tricks some folks, like you, into thinking he's more than a very replaceable 4th liner.

Reactions: haveandare

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
We are not married to the guy, but we should not be rushing him out the door.
The most important factor here is to remember he came to us college UFA. We did not pay to select him. He choose us. That means the next college UFA guy has to feel good about considering us too. So Hayes and Vesey can't leave prematurely unless they all on their own disappoint like Brendan Smith.

As to production, he has been unspectacular but while not most reliable, has been productive relative to his position and minutes, he plays hard and does grunt work. If he keeps working and improves technique, he could advance.

2 years, 1.65 m per ballpark, limited ntc

He is not eligible for NTC and/or NMC untl the 2020-21 season.

Last edited:

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
His value will only go up from here. Very confident he'll put up 50 points next year as long as he's not playing with traffic cones for linemates

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Only Buffalo would give up a 3rd round pick to not even sign a bad player.

as for the OP, he's very expendable and for good reason

Most bottom 6 wingers in the league are expendable. Vesey is young, has size, and a knack for going to the net.

He’s also playing for a coach who continues to utilize him in situations that are beyond his limit.

And despite being a 25 year old, he hasn’t played his best hickey. He still has room for growth.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
His value will only go up from here. Very confident he'll put up 50 points next year as long as he's not playing with traffic cones for linemates

really, he has 22 pts in 68 games, if he only could hit the net or avoid hitting the goalie when he finish plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad