Speculation: Jimmy Vesey should be expendable

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
Has not put up the points that were to be expected. Not been that top 9 difference maker and is in a contract year. Should he be traded for assets or re-signed and what kind of contract would that look like?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
His value isn't very high right now. There's really no point in trading him. He isn't going to get much of a raise. Give him a 2 year deal and see if he can find a role on the team going forward.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Didn't you guys just give up a 1st and decent prospect for one?

yes, but he can play up and down the lineup and not seem out of place. he's very much like Jarnkrok with more grit in that sense.

plus he's an RFA and only 23 years old.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Has not put up the points that were to be expected. Not been that top 9 difference maker and is in a contract year. Should he be traded for assets or re-signed and what kind of contract would that look like?

i don't think there is any reason to make that call yet.
His next deal will be -2-3 years at reasonable Hit

Not sure how many points "were to be expected"
but actually, he rarely got regular top 6 W reps with Nash, Grabner, Zucc, Kreider, Miller and others getting ice ahead of him

These remaining weeks, without that top heavy depth ahead of him,
let's see if he can build off more opportunities to score and to lead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Didn't you guys just give up a 1st and decent prospect for one?
Not really

JSPNgdE.png

As far as Vesey goes, try and trade him I guess and if there's no takers can we just like.....not sign him?

I have no interest in keeping him around. There's a million better players.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I didn't give up anything for anyone.

But if you mean Nashville, well, Ryan Hartman doesn't play on the PP and he'd be tied for 4th on the entire Rangers team in even strength points. He's much, much, much better than Jimmy Vesey and younger to boot.

50 minutes of powerplay time this season.

@ the bolded. Wow what a feat that is....

Ryan Hartman isn't "much much much" better than anyone in the NHL.

and none of this changes the fact that a 1st and a B prospect were given up for a 4th line player, player you claimed to be expendable.

Reactions: Canuck Luck

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
50 minutes of powerplay time this season.

@ the bolded. Wow what a feat that is....

Ryan Hartman isn't "much much much" better than anyone in the NHL.

and none of this changes the fact that a 1st and a B prospect were given up for a 4th line player, player you claimed to be expendable.

Look at the other post in response to you above. Ryan Hartman is miles better than Vesey. Hartman isn't a 4th liner, Vesey is. Besides, I said "most 4th liners are pretty expendable". Certainly when they're low quality 4th liners like Vesey.

Reactions: adsfan

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Not really

As far as Vesey goes, try and trade him I guess and if there's no takers can we just like.....not sign him?

I have no interest in keeping him around. There's a million better players.

Look at the other post in response to you above. Ryan Hartman is miles better than Vesey. Hartman isn't a 4th liner, Vesey is. Besides, I said "most 4th liners are pretty expendable". Certainly when they're low quality 4th liners like Vesey.

67424207.jpg

CF% of Teammates

Vesey: 46%
Hartman: 53%

the dangers of advanced stats....

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
67424207.jpg

CF% of Teammates

Vesey: 46%
Hartman: 53%

the dangers of advanced stats....

Quality of Teammates doesn't equate players who are miles apart, just like Quality of Competition and zone starts don't.

Hartman is closer to 1st line than 4th line. Absolutely nothing he does is at a 4th line rate except for ice time.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I would like to see what he does with a coach who doesn't only value water bugs who have no size and don't hit anybody. At worst Vesey could be one of the better 4th line wingers in the league. 4th lines have a way of being big factor in the playoffs. He's a hold for me. Remember Boyle on our 4th line. Took him a long time to figure it out. Vesey is already light years better than Boyle was at his age.

Reactions: Buffalo Preds

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would like to see what he does with a coach who doesn't only value water bugs who have no size and don't hit anybody. At worst Vesey could be one of the better 4th line wingers in the league. 4th lines have a way of being big factor in the playoffs. He's a hold for me. Remember Boyle on our 4th line. Took him a long time to figure it out. Vesey is already light years better than Boyle was at his age.
When has Vesey ever hit anyone?

Reactions: haveandare

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
People forgot how he was probably the 2nd or 3rd best forward on the team in the playoffs last year. Guy is a fine 3rd/4th line player but Ranger fans seem done with him. We all realize he's not a top 6 guy.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
I think I'd hang on to him for now, I think he has more to give. And hell if this is him, he'll be a useful 4th liner

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Quality of Teammates doesn't equate players who are miles apart, just like Quality of Competition and zone starts don't.

Hartman is closer to 1st line than 4th line. Absolutely nothing he does is at a 4th line rate except for ice time.

the biggest difference between the 2 players per your chart is their Shot Gen/Supp. and that is heavily influenced by your teammates and the difference in teammates is monumental as you can see.

and man the bolded is pretty ridiculous....i dont' even

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
No reason to sell low on him, even if he doesn't pan out he is a pretty good, young bottom six player with speed, grit & the occasionally flash of brilliance

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
the biggest difference between the 2 players per your chart is their Shot Gen/Supp. and that is heavily influenced by your teammates and the difference in teammates is monumental as you can see.

and man the bolded is pretty ridiculous....i dont' even

Yeah, it's influenced by your teammates.

It doesn't magically make you go from a 2 (4th line rate) to a 7 (borderline 1st line rate).

Of Chicago forwards with 1,000 minutes played since the start of last year, Hartman is 3rd in CF%rel and 5th in p/60. He was a top six forward for them. He's closer to 1st line than 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad