Speculation: Jimmy Vesey should be expendable

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
yes, but he can play up and down the lineup and not seem out of place. he's very much like Jarnkrok with more grit in that sense.

plus he's an RFA and only 23 years old.

Hate to burst your bubble, but this is a phrase created by announcers/FO's trying to justify things to fans. Notice how the only "play up and down the lineup" players are always lower line player's who end up having their role questioned on the team.

The classic case of this was Chris Kelly in Boston. Pure fourth liner by the end of his time, but because they stuck him in the top 6 when there were injuries (he didn't produce), he was a "valuable player who could play up and down the lineup".

Reactions: Teemu

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
He's not a bust. People hyped him because he was going to be available for nothing, and he just won an award. Everybody who has seen him play knew he wasn't this elite player that was going to save a franchise. He was a bottom 6 player we got for nothing.

I’m sorry, you can spin it however you like but the hype on here was for a guy that many were saying was a top 6 if not top 3 level player. Bottom 6 guys are easily attainable and such the hype wouldn’t have been even close

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Didn't you guys just give up a 1st and decent prospect for one?

Does that suddenly make Vesey more valuable or something? Or did you just throw that out there because someone said something true, relevant, and counter to what was expected of Vesey when he was being courted by teams?

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Vesey is mediocre as hell and he plays like a bottom 6 forward but lets get the facts right. Hartman averages around 51 sec per game on the pp (2nd unit i would think?). Vesey averages around 1 min 24 seconds per game on the pp (2nd pp unit).

Less than 90 minutes of PP time over almost two years, so technically sure, he very occasionally plays on the power play. Vesey is at 216 minutes and counting over that same time period. Anyway, Hartman is better than Vesey at literally everything related to hockey, except for staying out of the penalty box I guess. I still have no idea why he was brought up in comparison, it just invites further criticism of Vesey by comparing him to a clearly superior player.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hate to burst your bubble, but this is a phrase created by announcers/FO's trying to justify things to fans. Notice how the only "play up and down the lineup" players are always lower line player's who end up having their role questioned on the team.

The classic case of this was Chris Kelly in Boston. Pure fourth liner by the end of his time, but because they stuck him in the top 6 when there were injuries (he didn't produce), he was a "valuable player who could play up and down the lineup".

I agree with this. Every first liner can play up and down the lineup but they don't because they're on the first line. If you even have to bring it up, it's an inherent inferiority compared to players who just play up in the lineup.

It's the same as the proverbial baseball player who can "hit in any spot in the order." That's nice of him but if he's good he just bats third... :laugh:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
No one would have heard of Vesey, unless he was free agent out of college. There are lots of 3rd/4th liners on every team about the same playing value.
Kinda reminds me of the trades for Arizona's Domi. He's just another young player trying to find his way in the NHL, with one difference, he has famous NHL father.

Reactions: Mork

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Us Preds fans were bent out of shape about him last year. So much has changed in a year. Fiala establishing himself as a top 6er, potentially top 3. Arvidsson just keeps willing his way to score goals. Turris addition. Tolaven looking like a top winger prospect. Smith, Jarnkronk, Watson, Hartman upping their game.

Thankfully we can just forgot about this dude. Can't believe we were "guaranteeing" him a top 6 wing spot last year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
No one would have heard of Vesey, unless he was free agent out of college. There are lots of 3rd/4th liners on every team about the same playing value.
Kinda reminds me of the trades for Arizona's Domi. He's just another young player trying to find his way in the NHL, with one difference, he has famous NHL father.

ummmm, he was pretty damn well known prior to that...you know, only winning that silly little Hobey Baker award - helping to lead Team USA to Gold at the WJC (when he got moved up to the top line is when team USA actually started playing well, he deserves a shit load of credit for that Gold).....you know, those little things that nobody knows of or follows...good lord.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
ummmm, he was pretty damn well known prior to that...you know, only winning that silly little Hobey Baker award - helping to lead Team USA to Gold at the WJC (when he got moved up to the top line is when team USA actually started playing well, he deserves a **** load of credit for that Gold).....you know, those little things that nobody knows of or follows...good lord.

Thanks for proving my point. Please take a look at the Hobey Baker winners. Yep, win it as a freshman and coming out to play in the NHL you might have a successful NHL career. If you're a senior and win it, almost always you have a marginally NHL career. Generally staying four years in college and then starting in the pros, these players almost never have achieve stardom in the NHL, hence my statement of being 3rd/4th line players. Not saying it that's bad, or that guys shouldn't complete their college education, and being even a marginal NHL player isn't a fine occupation, but being a star in college or even junior or even the AHL does not always translate into stardom in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucks1096

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
That's for proving my point. Please take a look at the Hobey Baker winners. Yep, win it as a freshman and coming out to play in the NHL you might have a successful NHL career. If you're a senior and win it, almost always you have a marginally NHL career. Generally staying four years in college and then starting in the pros, these players almost never have achieve stardom in the NHL, hence my statement of being 3rd/4th line players. Not saying it that's bad, or that guys shouldn't complete their college education, and being even a marginal NHL player isn't a fine occupation, but being a star in college or even junior or even the AHL does not always translate into stardom in the NHL.

You are 100% bang on. Agree with everything you said

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Remember when the Leafs wanted to sign him. He could have been a staple on the Matthews-Nylander line.

What a shame a decision like that turned out to be for him.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Nice to see he shoved a hat-trick up the bashers behinds last night. Last year Vesey had 116 shots in 80 games. He has 117 shots in 67 games this year. That is not playing on the PP which I believe he should. He has very good hands down low. He's only 24. I think he will start trending the right way soon. I would expect with PP time he will be a 20-25 G, 40-45 point guy next season. I'd like to see him work on his skating in the off-season and pick up a step. Either way, with a better system, he should be a good NHL forward. That is enough considering the Rangers gave up nothing but money to get him. He like a lot of the forwards is a guy that will benefit from watching the relentless work ethic of Lias Andersson who I believe will have a profound effect on the team.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Vesey was overrated out of college.

He's a decent goal scoring 4th liner.

16 goals and 27 points last year

15 goals and 22 points thus far this year

At 24 (gonna be 25 in may) I'm not convinced that those numbers will improve.

I'd give him a similar contract to what Fast got, but not more than that.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No, basically a 13th forward. If that's the Rangers idea of a bottom six player, no wonder they've fallen apart. Look around the league, any decent team has at least a few bottom 6 guys that are clearly superior to Jimmy Vesey.
Total hyperbole.

Reactions: bl02

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I’m sure I speak for all Nashville fans in really being heartbroken Vesey’s career isn’t working out.
Spare me. Unless the Preds have never in their history signed a free agent, this kind of comment is 100% sour grapes.

Reactions: bl02

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Thanks for proving my point. Please take a look at the Hobey Baker winners. Yep, win it as a freshman and coming out to play in the NHL you might have a successful NHL career. If you're a senior and win it, almost always you have a marginally NHL career. Generally staying four years in college and then starting in the pros, these players almost never have achieve stardom in the NHL, hence my statement of being 3rd/4th line players. Not saying it that's bad, or that guys shouldn't complete their college education, and being even a marginal NHL player isn't a fine occupation, but being a star in college or even junior or even the AHL does not always translate into stardom in the NHL.
None of which is addressing the point of the post you are responding to. His point was that Vesey was well known in the hockey world, not that he was a guaranteed future star.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
None of which is addressing the point of the post you are responding to. His point was that Vesey was well known in the hockey world, not that he was a guaranteed future star.

OK, I'm saying he was unknown by NHL hockey fans. It wasn't until he went on his "LeBron" tour of picking my team, that he gained any NHL relevance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad