OT: Jimmy Vesey discussion continues ... Pt 2 (Signs with NYR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why does everyone care so much about where this guy signs? Really just seems like your typical run of the mill top NCAA free agent that comes out of div 1 year after year.. A free asset sure but most likely projects to be a tweener imo

I mean, have you ever seen him play? No? Why would he project to be a tweener in your eyes? I find that a really weird thing to say.

Who knows how he progresses but right now he appears to be a top prospect and since he's a free agent, you'd be stupid not to care about signing the guy.

I don't understand why some are perplexed with the idea of signing an asset like that. Even if he really doesn't pan out, it would have been worth it to sign him and find out for yourself.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Button won't like this. :laugh:

Theres plenty of things that Matthews can sell Vesey on. Playing together, building soemthing special in Toronto together, he's been here and seen the facilities, so he can sell him on that too. Thats just off the top of my head.

Button acting like a moron just to act like a moron.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Both points are valid.
I am not trying to invalidate your thoughts on this. I'm just saying it's not some aborhent practice.
At the end of the day these guys make millions playing a game they love.
Also all companies have entry level mid level and up contracts. As an engineer he would start at an established entry level and work his way up the pay scale just like any other job or the nhl.

Sometimes they go even further than standardized compensation packages - look at the wage fixing scandal in Silicon Valley. Superstars who can get jobs anywhere and get paid millions do exist, but it's not common. Also, unions are even worse. In most unions it's about seniority, not merit.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Landing him is essentially like getting an extra first rnd pick.

But if you look at this yrs draft with mathews at top where would vessey go if he was also drafted this yr.
Top 5 top 10 top 15 top 20 between 21 and 3o

1 1 Toronto Auston Matthews C Zurich SC [Swiss-A]
1 2 Win Patrik Laine R Tappara Tampere [SM-liiga]
1 3 Col Pierre-Luc Dubois L Cape Breton S E[QMJHL]
1 4 Edmonton Jesse Puljujarvi R Karpat [SM-liiga]
1 5 Vanc Olli Juolevi D London Knights [OHL]
1 6 Cal Matthew Tkachuk L London Knights [OHL]
1 7 Ari Clayton Keller C U.S. National DeTeam [USHL]
1 8 BufAlexander Nylander L MissiSteelheads [OHL]
1 9 Mon Mikhail Sergachev D WinSpitfires [OHL]
1 10 Colorado Tyson Jost C Penticton Vees [BCHL]
1 11 Ottawa Logan Brown C Windsor Spitfires [OHL]
1 12 NJMichael McLeod C Missis Steelheads [OHL]
1 13 Carolina Jake Bean D Calgary Hitmen [WHL]

1 14 Bos Charles McAvoy D Boston University [H-East]
1 15 Min Luke Kunin C U. of Wisconsin [Big-10]
1 16 Arizona Jakob Chychrun D Sarnia Sting [OHL]
1 17 Nash Dante Fabbro D Penticton Vees [BCHL]
1 18 Win Logan Stanley D Windsor Spitfires [OHL]
1 19 NYI Kieffer Bellows L U.S. Nl D Team [USHL]
1 20 Det Dennis Cholowski D Chilliwack Chiefs [BCHL]
1 21 Car Julien Gauthier R Val d'Or Foreurs [QMJHL]
1 22 Philadelphia German Rubtsov C Russia U-18 team
1 23 Florida Henrik Borgstrom C HIFK Juniors (Finland)
1 24 Anaheim Max Jones L London Knights [OHL]
1 25 Dallas Riley Tufte L Fargo Force [USHL]
1 26 StL Tage Thompson C U. of Connecticut [H-East]
1 27 TB Brett Howden C Moose Jaw Warriors [WHL]
1 28 Was Lucas Johansen D Kelowna Rockets [WHL]
1 29 Bos Trent Frederic C U.S. ND Team [USHL]
1 30 Anaheim Sam Steel C Regina Pats [WHL]

Good way to put it in context. I think given that he's being rated anywhere from a #10ish to #35ish prospect overall in most lists, and given the offensive upside, I'd expect him to go around this range

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If I were him I would jump on Chicago or Pitt. Possible you get some Cups. Then you're a FA again and can pick a long term destination.

If honestly do the same if I was in his skates - hockey careers are often so short, maximize all the chances you can at a cup - especially when you have the rare opportunity to sign with a contender.

That said hope he comes to the Leafs.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I dont think that Matthews will actually be part of it, but rather that he is a Leaf and Jimmy would have the opportunity to play with a potentially elite C

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Button won't like this. :laugh:

Matthews is selling Vesey on riding shotgun with him. ;)

No doubt Vesey knows who Matthews is and being Americans both it might be an easier sell then even if Edmonton wanted to use McDavid.

That said Jack Eichel could not convince him and that would be similar to using Matthews as a selling tool.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Matthews will be the "We're going to grab coffee, you guys wait here, we'll be right back"

Then Matthews does a little sales pitch. "Man, can you imagine me, you and Mitch on a line!"

To go along with the basic "My experience so far has been great, I mean, It's Toronto!"

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Why does everyone care so much about where this guy signs? Really just seems like your typical run of the mill top NCAA free agent that comes out of div 1 year after year.. A free asset sure but most likely projects to be a tweener imo

He's a 3rd round NHL drafted prospect who would've been playing in the league this past year but told Nashville he wants to stay for his fourth year and get a degree, he's not your stereotypical college free agent.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
However at the end of the day, not many people can sit in a room with Brendan Shanahan, Lou Lamoriello, and Mike Babcock, and tell them "No".

Stamkos the long exception. Though, I think he more wanted to stay put in Tampa Bay, rather than not wanting to come here

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I mean, have you ever seen him play? No? Why would he project to be a tweener in your eyes? I find that a really weird thing to say.

Who knows how he progresses but right now he appears to be a top prospect and since he's a free agent, you'd be stupid not to care about signing the guy.

I don't understand why some are perplexed with the idea of signing an asset like that. Even if he really doesn't pan out, it would have been worth it to sign him and find out for yourself.

I've seen him play. Not as dynamic as Eichel or Connor. I'd be suprised if he could crack a good lineup. 2 years in the AHL, might develop well.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
I've seen him play. Not as dynamic as Eichel or Connor. I'd be suprised if he could crack a good lineup. 2 years in the AHL, might develop well.

If you expect him to be anywhere close to those guys then your way off base to begin with.

2 years in the AHL would put him at 25. That aint happening. He will be on an NHL roster next season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
His scoring equivalence suggests he COULD be a 40ish point guy next season. If of course he manages the smooth transition to the NHL

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

Actually I have seen him play. I finished a workterm in Boston from January up until may this year and I was able to catch a handful of crimson' games. He's a great college player no doubt, and you don't need to look that far to find comparable players that come out of div 1 that have produced like he has over the course of his time at Harvard.

From my viewings, he was usually noticeable in one way or another every game, pretty fast skater, puts himself in good little soft spots in the offensive zone, nice hands. Very soft hands around the net, almost reminds me of jvr in that regard. Mucks it up sometimes too. But when I look for one particular area where he flat out dominates I don't really see one. With that being said he'll obviously play in the NHL in some capacity, hes ready, but based on his production and what I saw from him live I think he'll be a solid 20-20 winger in a good year.

No one is perplexed with the idea of signing him, I'm just shocked as to how much hype this kid is getting. I guess it's to be expected in the middle of the summer though. It would be cool if we signed him and I hope the leafs can, but I'm not loosing good sleep over it if we dont. It's a free asset at the end of the day

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If you expect him to be anywhere close to those guys then your way off base to begin with.

2 years in the AHL would put him at 25. That aint happening. He will be on an NHL roster next season.

Probably mentioned Eichel because of this

overtension_news_fd8a4f04c61aa19d0e2f7013ebe60bb6.jpg

Jimmy Vesey wins 2016 Hobey Baker Award

3f5fb30d53d985c863d62151d593e961.jpg

Jack Eichel wins 2015 Hobey Baker Award (runner-up Jimmy Vesey)

After finishing runner-up as Best NCAA player in 2015, Vesey won the award in 2016. ;)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Main boards are pretty sensitive.

Lots of Leafs bashing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad