TV: Jimmy Kimmel On His Way Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hasn't it been one of the worst kept secrets that Mel Gibson isn't a good guy and is pretty crazy?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I wonder is Winona Ryder will lose her job for stealing other people's stuff ?

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hasn't it been one of the worst kept secrets that Mel Gibson isn't a good guy and is pretty crazy?

It's not even a secret.

Meanwhile, Winona Ryder stole $5,500 worth of clothes and accessories from a store.

Anyway, I hate feeling any kind of sympathy for Mel Gibson because he's a bitter, twisted and crazy individual.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He sure was a good looking dude when he was young, tho... (smile)

6a00d8341c2ca253ef017ee64061ee970d-800wi

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Everyone is Hollywood is SCUM.

Burn the whole place down for all I care.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The only beef that I have of all of this is his use of the N word. However he wasnt calling a real person that word (it would have been MUCH worse had he done that), but was instead in character as Snoop. IMO the N word is a complete no go for anyone (especially white people) to use and IMO should be buried. The rest of it was done in fun and in a time where people for the most part didnt complain about any and everything. Times change and people change, its really easy for someone that is 18-25 years old to call out what was said 20+ years ago because they didnt remember what it was like as an adult in that time. IMO it was a better time because people are too damn sensitive in this day and age.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
On the one hand, "oven dodger" is just about one of the worst things I've heard.

On the other hand, it was at a party in 1995.

I think that I have heard only 1 worse racial "joke". Some people have a lot of hatred for certain groups, ethnicities, etc. pretty damned messed up.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Amen!

All of this will come back to haunt the snowflakes. Everything comes around.

I have always lived my life by treating others as I would like to be treated and that everyone should be treated equally until they prove otherwise. I can say that I have never pushed away anyone because of how they look or what their views are in life. Having everyone scared to say anything, especially if its innocent and can get twisted by someone that is looking to put words in your mouth is not a good look for society IMO.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I have always lived my life by treating others as I would like to be treated and that everyone should be treated equally until they prove otherwise. I can say that I have never pushed away anyone because of how they look or what their views are in life. Having everyone scared to say anything, especially if its innocent and can get twisted by someone that is looking to put words in your mouth is not a good look for society IMO.
No it's not.

Everyone has skeletons. EVERYONE. If you / someone makes a mistake, own up to it, apologize and move on.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Meh...now that the left is being exposed the goalposts will move and it will be forgiven.

Funny how that works.

So many people want cancel culture until it takes something or someone they like.

I honestly don't give a shit what people did many years ago. Times were different. Hell, I watch Seinfeld episodes that would offend people today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Everyone is Hollywood is SCUM.

Burn the whole place down for all I care.

to say everyone is scum is a bit much. You’re just being overly emotional. There are some good people in Hollywood. There are some horrible people there too though. Mixed bag.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just think it's weird how they justify the blackface incidents as if it happened a long time ago. A lot of these happened 10-15 years ago when many of them were grown adults. The problem is they don't really understand the actual issue with blackface and the impressions. Blackface started out as a way for white people to keep blacks from getting black roles and in the worse ways, it was done to dehumanize them. That's why when they argue impressions, it's an absurd argument IMO. Have a black comedian do the impression. Being ignorant of that history isn't a good excuse for me.

This is a little OT, but it reminds of something that I read the other day about a movie called Slave Ship, which was sort of a 1930s version of Amistad. Even though it's supposedly critical of the slave trade and one of the 1930s Hollywood movies that portrays black people in a somewhat positive light, one of the studio executives reportedly said something to the effect of "Can we make it without the Negroes?" :facepalm:.

member 51464

I wonder is Winona Ryder will lose her job for stealing other people's stuff ?
She was convicted of grand theft, shoplifting, and vandalism but was acquitted on the felony charge of burglary. In December 2002, she was sentenced to three years of probation, 480 hours of community service, $3,700 in fines, and $6,355 in restitution to the Saks Fifth Avenue store, and she was ordered to attend psychological and drug counseling.[104] Superior Court Judge Elden Fox reviewed Ryder's probation report and noted that she served 480 hours of community service, and the felonies were reduced to misdemeanors on June 18, 2004. She remained on probation until December 2005

She paid her restitution and was held accountable. It's more than a lot of famous people get.

On the topic of Mel Gibson, I'm more surprised he was ever back "in" as he's been saying rather insane things for a long, long time.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I'm guessing that this is based less on remarks that he made 25 years ago and more on the fact that he recently denied them and called Ryder a liar. Think about it: how could he possibly remember offhand comments that he made at a party 25 years ago? Also, as the offended party, isn't her memory of them likely much better than his? He may not remember saying them, but probably recognizes that they sound like things that he might've said back then.

There are several better ways that he could've responded:

A) By owning it, apologizing to Ryder and saying that that's not the man that he is anymore.
B) By saying that he doesn't remember saying that, but apologizing to Ryder if he did.
C) By denying that he said that and suggesting that he was misheard or misunderstood, anything but calling Ryder a liar.

I imagine that choosing any of those might've allowed him to keep the job, but, instead, he chose just about the worst response, the kind that makes him seem unapologetic and still the rude person that he's accused of being 25 years ago. That's the danger in being a so-called "counter puncher," IMO. You have to be careful about when and how you strike back at accusations or you risk lending merit to them.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Cancel culture is an abomination, particularly when people are dredging up moments from decades ago and retroactively applying present cultural standards.

People are scared shitless to say or do the wrong thing, even when their intentions are good. Maybe when there are more bodies on the pyre than in the audience and the culture becomes so monotonous and bland that nobody bothers to tune in, the calculation will change.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Without having to read through this entire thread, is this the original title of the thread or was it changed when actual news of him potentially losing his job came out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad