TV: Jimmy Kimmel On His Way Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
People make mistakes. Don't ruin their lives because of it.

If you mess up, apologize and don't do it again. That should be enough.
Ideally. There is a legitimate argument that people just use that as a cover to continue their bad behavior. Harvey Weinstein did that.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kelly got fired because her ratings sucked. Not because of her weird views on blackface or Santa Clause.
That's why they were looking to get out of the contract because the audience didn't embrace her, which everyone could see coming. They used the blackface discussion as the excuse to make it happen.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
She never found a home at the network.

Sure you can say she was fired for her politics. But by the same token she was only ever hired by NBC because of her politics. If she didn't get into that spat with Trump about blood coming out of "where ever" they wouldn't have hired her. She was the news celeb du'jour and the Twitter #Resistance icon of the moment.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
She never found a home at the network.

Sure you can say she was fired for her politics. But by the same token she was only ever hired by NBC because of her politics. If she didn't get into that spat with Trump about blood coming out of "where ever" they wouldn't have hired her. She was the news celeb du'jour and the Twitter #Resistance icon of the moment.
Yeah, they miscalculated. They thought she'd be a bigger version of Nicole Wallace, but in reality their audience just viewed her as the Fox Queen.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I just think it's weird how they justify the blackface incidents as if it happened a long time ago. A lot of these happened 10-15 years ago when many of them were grown adults. The problem is they don't really understand the actual issue with blackface and the impressions. Blackface started out as a way for white people to keep blacks from getting black roles and in the worse ways, it was done to dehumanize them. That's why when they argue impressions, it's an absurd argument IMO. Have a black comedian do the impression. Being ignorant of that history isn't a good excuse for me.

Someone I know very well idolized Jimi Hendrix and dressed up as him in the 90s for Halloween, including blackface. Jimi was his hero, but he was white.

He didn't dress up as a stereotypical black person, sporting dreadlocks and an accent, or what have you. He didn't portray him as anything but a rock and roll legend. There were no exaggerated features or the like.

He dressed up as an actual living historical person, and not even in a comedic way, but as an homage. The costume as as authentic as possible. It wasn't intended to be funny in any manner.

Personally, I wouldn't even call that blackface, but whatever. We all know better now and that's fine, no more honoring people of a different race by trying to assume their image. It's been permanently tainted by the abomination that was blackface in the early era of Hollywood.

But I do find it ironic that we have a white person here whose favorite famous individual was black, and he could very well be tarred and feathered for a misguided attempt to honour him.

I'd argue that the circumstances matter, but it's probably just easier to do away with it all together.

I am curious how cosplayers are being perceived these days.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Someone I know very well idolized Jimi Hendrix and dressed up as him in the 90s for Halloween, including blackface. Jimi was his hero, but he was white.

He didn't dress up as a stereotypical black person, sporting dreadlocks and an accent, or what have you. He didn't portray him as anything but a rock and roll legend. There were no exaggerated features or the like.

He dressed up as an actual living historical person, and not even in a comedic way, but as an homage. The costume as as authentic as possible. It wasn't intended to be funny in any manner.

Personally, I wouldn't even call that blackface, but whatever. We all know better now and that's fine, no more honoring people of a different race by trying to assume their image. It's been permanently tainted by the abomination that was blackface in the early era of Hollywood.

But I do find it ironic that we have a white person here whose favorite famous individual was black, and he could very well be tarred and feathered for a misguided attempt to honour him.
Yeah, I think this is the use of blackface that can be justified, or like you said, should this even be considered blackface? It should be a positive in society when a white person looks at a black person as their hero. Maybe as a society we can come to a conclusion that dressing up is fine, but don't change your skin color or to wear a mask instead, I don't really know for sure.

member 51464

Apparently you've never seen a hockey game. ;) I agree with Richard Pryor. Using the n word is bad regardless of the user's race. To me anyone who listens to a rapper who uses the n word is just as bad as using it yourself or wearing blackface.
Do you also think watching a movie portraying murder, stealing, or rape is as bad as undertaking those actions yourself?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, I think this is the use of blackface that can be justified, or like you said, should this even be considered blackface? It should be a positive in society when a white person looks at a black person as their hero. Maybe as a society we can come to a conclusion that dressing up is fine, but don't change your skin color or to wear a mask instead, I don't really know for sure.

Well, clearly adopting someone's image isn't the way to go. People say it was always obvious but I'm not so sure.

What Trudeau did was legitimately blackface. It was a generic "black person" costume on both occasions.

Impressions for comedic purposes can also be unsettling, especially if the fact that the actor being of a different race is part of what is supposed to make it funny.

Personally I thought that Fred Armisen's impression of Obama was quite good.

But then it all gets wrapped up with the concept that there are few black roles out there and so why the hell are you casting a white person to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleedblue1223

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
People make mistakes. Don't ruin their lives because of it.

If you mess up, apologize and don't do it again. That should be enough.

Agreed. It can also be a teachable moment so that other people can learn and not do it themselves.

Also, is Jimmy Fallon in trouble for playing Chris Rock in an SNL sketch 20 years ago?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Kimmel isn't going to get cancelled. Be real. If he does it's PC gone too far. And by cancelled I mean losing his show. He MIGHT be asked not to host the Emmys but they aren't going to nuke his career from orbit because he was in blackface. I mean look what happened to Kevin Hart. They just told him not to host. He didn't lose much else.

An apology should suffice. Also, did anyone see Adam Carrola saying that while it was right for him to apologize, that dressing up as Oprah isn't blackface?

I think he has a point, depending on the person's intent (which I think doesn't get focused on enough in these situations). If somebody is dressing up as her because she's their hero, I don't think that should be looked at the same as somebody dressing up as her to insult or make fun of her. It's certainly not a good idea either way, but I don't think we should paint all situations with the same brush.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I know my examples were simplistic but something needs to be done.

For the record : I would happily go in Camp 1.
It's a little disturbing that you view yourself, and others, in such narrow scopes. As I've said, this is such basic"Us vs. Them" mentality. Do you honestly think that this is how simple everyone else is? Do you really think that's how simple YOU are? You're either Group 1 / Right / Red / Us or Group 2 / Left / Blue / Them....?

I hope that my asking you why you think that's a reasonable way to look at the world, despite skirting the question twice, will lead to some introspection.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I quite like Jimmy Kimmel even with all the nonsense hypocrisy he spouted. Nowadays though it seems that he had too much spotlight and honestly some people aren't really built for that sort of thing.

I think this bloke does a good job breaking down the situation...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And for people saying the Tina Fey stuff is just more Fox fake outrage, the stuff they are quoting is from a Daily Beast article earlier this week, they are a left-leaning site.

coupe89

Jan 25, 2006
PEI
Well, clearly adopting someone's image isn't the way to go. People say it was always obvious but I'm not so sure.

What Trudeau did was legitimately blackface. It was a generic "black person" costume on both occasions.

Impressions for comedic purposes can also be unsettling, especially if the fact that the actor being of a different race is part of what is supposed to make it funny.

Personally I thought that Fred Armisen's impression of Obama was quite good.

But then it all gets wrapped up with the concept that there are few black roles out there and so why the hell are you casting a white person to do it.
Trudeau did it more than two times. In one year book alone he has 3 or 4 pictures of himself in different blackface. Plus there is also his groping he got away with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad