TV: Jimmy Kimmel On His Way Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
The problem is that Kimmel is known to have used his position to attack Trump on a number of occasions. One has to wonder if those types of statements helped him avoid the scrutiny up to this point.

Given that he started with programs like "The Man Show", it shouldn't be surprising to see this.

Wonder if Fallon is up next to the cultural guillotine.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm sure he can retire quite comfortably so he'll be fine. I just don't know where it will stop. Again, EVERYONE has skeletons.
Oh, I don't feel bad for him at all, he has a ton of money, and he's been a supporter of this type of stuff. While it's satisfying to see what goes around comes around, I'm still not a fan of this type of culture.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The problem is that Kimmel is known to have used his position to attack Trump on a number of occasions. One has to wonder if those types of statements helped him avoid the scrutiny up to this point.

Given that he started with programs like "The Man Show", it shouldn't be surprising to see this.

Wonder if Fallon is up next to the cultural guillotine.
Fallon had his blackface moment come up recently. Did a Chris Rock impression.

I just hope they don't come for Robert Downey Jr. for his blackface in Tropic Thunder because the context of his blackface was to parody the ridiculousness of blackface, it was mocking everyone else that was doing it unironically.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

I just hope they don't come for Robert Downey Jr. for his blackface in Tropic Thunder because the context of his blackface was to parody the ridiculousness of blackface, it was mocking everyone else that was doing it unironically.

Tropic Thunder was in 2008.

So, enough time for clueless types to take up the denunciation.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

The question is, when does it end?

No one is perfect and everyone has skeletons - especially comedians. Is there anyone capable of passing the purity test?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
People have gone after it in the past, but it feels like the current climate, they are more effective in cancelling, so we'll see.
The Left loved it when the Right was getting cancelled. Now it's coming full circle - as anyone who's been around knew it would.

I just think networks / companies should have more backbone. Stand up to the "woke" and they will move on to someone who does not stand up to them.

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I can't and don't defend his behavior. I don't care if he keeps his show. This stuff is from the 90s The Man Show. His ex Sarah Silverman lost a film role, because she was in an anti-racism skit that used blackface. I think it was from the 90s.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I can't and don't defend his behavior. I don't care if he keeps his show. This stuff is from the 90s Man Show. His ex Sarah Silverman lost a film role, because she was in an anti-racism skit that used blackface. I think it was from the 90s.
I've heard that Sarah Silverman is a VERY nice person.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I can't and don't defend his behavior. I don't care if he keeps his show. This stuff is from the 90s The Man Show. His ex Sarah Silverman lost a film role, because she was in an anti-racism skit that used blackface. I think it was from the 90s.
Sarah Silverman's blackface was in 2007 when she was 37. She even talked about how being in that Hollywood liberal bubble, she thought she was dealing with racism by using racism. It's just bizarre that they thought this stuff was genuinely a way to fight against racism, and this stuff was pretty recent when they were grown adults.

Sarah Silverman says blackface sketch got her fired from movie - CNN

Reactions: Voight

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The question is, when does it end?

No one is perfect and everyone has skeletons - especially comedians. Is there anyone capable of passing the purity test?
It's been that way in U.S. politics for a long time. Notable exceptions surfacing just in the last little bit.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
U.S. politicians running for local & national offices have long been targeted for their social as well as moral missteps. The entertainment industry is nothing more than politics with a theme song.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
U.S. politicians running for local & national offices have long been targeted for their social as well as moral missteps. The entertainment industry is nothing more than politics with a theme song.
Fair enough. Thanks!

archangel2

May 19, 2019

HE announced monday he was taking the summer off and then this came out. HE is a coward in my books. He is going to try to lay low and hope the mayhem passes.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He was among the "Notable exceptions" in my initial post. Thanks for emphasizing that.
Yeah, and the exceptions tend to happen when it becomes an us vs them situation, and people gloss over their own side, or when both sides have skeletons in their closet. That's why people like Kimmel have lasted this long without facing the major backlash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad