TV: Jimmy Kimmel On His Way Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
First Bill Maher, then Howard Stern, now Jimmy Kimmel. Who's next? Everyone has skeletons - I know Trevor Noah has made anti-Semitic comments in the past.

These guys thought it was great when the people on the right were getting their lives ruined. Now it's their turn.
What do you mean by "These guys thought it was great when people on the right were getting their lives ruined. Now it's their turn?" What kind of examples?

I'm a democrat, but I can't stand the far left and cancel culture. Like you said, where does it end? The ignorance of them tearing down a statue of Grant speaks for itself. I just don't even know if they know where they're going at this point in time.

I do, however, think there's a difference between comedy and real life. A comedic act that is now considered offense doesn't carry the same weight as an actual offensive act/belief in my opinion.

I just don't know anymore. I hate where this country is at with the extremes of both sides getting dumber yet louder. Human beings were too stupid to handle the advancement of technology.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
What do you mean by "These guys thought it was great when people on the right were getting their lives ruined. Now it's their turn?" What kind of examples?

I'm a democrat, but I can't stand the far left and cancel culture. Like you said, where does it end? The ignorance of them tearing down a statue of Grant speaks for itself. I just don't even know if they know where they're going at this point in time.

I do, however, think there's a difference between comedy and real life. A comedic act that is now considered offense doesn't carry the same weight as an actual offensive act/belief in my opinion.

I just don't know anymore. I hate where this country is at with the extremes of both sides getting dumber yet louder. Human beings were too stupid to handle the advancement of technology.
I can give you 3 righties off the top of my head (I'm watching them as we speak) who had their jobs threatened and been attacked endlessly on line - the first had mobs threaten violence at his home...

Tucker Carlsen, Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham.

There are also some right wing actors who can't find work because of this craziness - James Wood and Dean Cain come to mind.

As for the rest of your post, I agree 100% - especially about us being too stupid to handle the technological world we've created.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

I think the vast majority of regular people are either unaware of this culture war or just wish the stupid thing would be over with. Like you said, the statue of Grant getting torn down is the epitome of it.

I do think there's been an inconsistent application of the cancel rule. Megyn Kelly got cancelled just for talking about blackface in a way that wasn't 100% condemning it, but we've known about plenty of other politicians and celebrities that have actually done blackface, and nothing has really come of it, Trudeau and Gov. Northam as the political examples. It's probably tough when you have to pick between a leader who you have moral objections with and another that you have policy objections with.

In an ideal world, these incidents would be used as learning/teaching moments, so we could just grow as a society, but I think we are too far down the rabbit hole.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And we keep waiting and waiting and waiting, yet cancel culture gets stronger and stronger and stronger.

It's companies listening to twitter outrage and twitter's user base really doesn't represent the country, and the engagement on twitter is dominated by a small fraction of its user base. People that don't pay attention to politics or twitter have very little idea of what is going on. I went back home this weekend, and my parents had no idea that a Grant statue was torn down or why people would do it. It's something that regular people are just not tuned in to. The people that are, don't really know how to counter it.

My take on it, and I don't want it to be too political, the corporations give in because they want the divide to be about culture, not class because if it turns into class, then those people will lose their power.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's companies listening to twitter outrage and twitter's user base really doesn't represent the country, and the engagement on twitter is dominated by a small fraction of its user base. People that don't pay attention to politics or twitter have very little idea of what is going on. I went back home this weekend, and my parents had no idea that a Grant statue was torn down or why people would do it. It's something that regular people are just not tuned in to. The people that are, don't really know how to counter it.
^^ I wrote something similar but you've said it better. ^^

I agree, we don't know how to fight it.

Some moron on Twitter says something and CNN says, "Social Media is exploding!!!!", so it feeds itself.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm retired and live a comfortable life, so this craziness won't affect me. But the young people (the left) have to realize this kind of ugliness eventually feeds on itself (like it is doing with Kimmel) so be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I don't think Jimmy Kimmel is a racist guy cos he did blackface earlier. Obviously him doing it on TV makes it a bit more questionable. Trudeau showed in the past 10 years that he isn't racist and I think you can somewhat apply the same logic to Kimmel. He isn't exactly Don Cherry consistently going on the air and implying casual racism or sexism over the years.

Also don't blame people on the far left like me for this. This is nothing but some twitter primadonnas and companies more worried about an HR hit than common sense that per-maturely pull the plug on this sort of stuff.

Reactions: montreal

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I don't think Jimmy Kimmel is a racist guy cos he did blackface earlier. Obviously him doing it on TV makes it a bit more questionable. Trudeau showed in the past 10 years that he isn't racist and I think you can somewhat apply the same logic to Kimmel. He isn't exactly Don Cherry consistently going on the air and implying casual racism or sexism over the years.

Also don't blame people on the far left like me for this. This is nothing but some twitter primadonnas and companies more worried about an HR hit than common sense that per-maturely pull the plug on this sort of stuff.

He used the big bad N word

member 51464

I fully support renaming U.S. army forts and camps that are currently named after traitors who fought for the confederacy. It's a bit of a joke considering some of them were named during world war 2. It's not as if they were all well intentioned efforts during reconstruction to reconcile.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I fully support renaming U.S. army forts and camps that are currently named after traitors who fought for the confederacy. It's a bit of a joke considering some of them were named during world war 2. It's not as if they were all well intentioned efforts during reconstruction to reconcile.
I think this is a reasonable take to have. When some of the bases were created during WW1 and WW2, the government let the locals pick a name because they were more worried about the war at hand and didn't think the base would be a long-term base, that's essentially the story behind Fort Bragg.

I don't think it's controversial to want to remove anything that could commemorate the Confederacy in public, and we should have museums that can teach future generations about what happened during the Jim Crow era with many of the Confederate statues. I'd think it's safe to say the majority of the country agrees with that. It's clear though, that it has opened that slippery slope, and it's unclear where the line is drawn on historical individuals.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
The problem is that Kimmel is known to have used his position to attack Trump on a number of occasions. One has to wonder if those types of statements helped him avoid the scrutiny up to this point.

yeah, that's fair speculation. To me, a lot of this is basically old fashioned Psych 101. It's become a pretty universally accepted meme that the most vocal homophobes are often struggling with their own sexual preferences. And I think a lot of Whites who are always finding and condemning the racism in other Whites (ie- Kimmel's fixation with Trump's purported bigotries), are really projecting (& then scapegoating on to others), their own racist motives & impulses.
I remember when televangelists were always seemingly in moral scandals, a lot of the public loved it.. bcuz everyone likes it when vocal hypocrites get their comeuppance. People are gonna enjoy seeing a sanctimonious Kimmel squirm & grovel. It is delicious..

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That's fair.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ALL the late night hosts like to talk down to / lecture everyone.
I agree, it's annoying.

That can work (Letterman) but today's stable of talk show hosts are insufferable. The only guy that I can stand watching from time to time is Fallon. Even he has some skeletons in the closet.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That can work (Letterman) but today's stable of talk show hosts are insufferable. The only guy that I can stand watching from time to time is Fallon. Even he has some skeletons in the closet.
I miss Letterman, too. :)

I agree, EVERYONE has skeletons and I can't stand the late night group either.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
He's already made his millions, and assuming he wasn't dumb with his money, is undoubtedly set up for life at this point.

A couple years too late from the "woke left" on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad