Value of: Jimmy Howard to CGY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
We will likely need to add a 1st round pick, which I don't see the Flames doing. What about David Rittich straight up?

Save the pick/prospect for a top-six forward.
Rittich for Howard straight up ? How does that help Detroit exactly ?were not gonna give you howard for free you might not wanna give up a 1st or top prospect but it’ll at the least cost 2 2nds or a 2nd and 3rd type trade with us having to take smiths contract back

We’re not in the business of giving freebies, guys think it’s too much that’s fine but enjoy the first round cause with those 2 as goaltenders in the playoffs I don’t like your odds

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
We'll trade you our late 1st plus a 2nd for Zadina then?

Don't like that deal...I guess you must be overvaluing your "superstar" prospects....the point is you never trade prospect for a bag of lesser parts unless your absolutely forced to.

If we are looking to buy Howard, why are we adding Valimaki to the deal and taking back a 2nd, which is way further back in development than Valimaki? Wouldn't the simpler deal for a contending team be to just acquire Howard and forget about taking a 2nd back?

Just because you don't want Howard doesn't mean you need to come back insulting.

Reactions: NotLeddy and Oddbob

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Not sure how some people are thinking Howard in any package would get the Flames to part with Valimaki or Kylington. That would be absurdly stupid for the Flames.

Calgary should very much be interested though. They need a starting-caliber goalie if they are serious about making a run this year. I’m sure a pair of picks (cond. 1st + 5th or 2nd + 3rd type thing) would be more than enough to get it done. Playing it off as getting a ‘backup’ for Rittich is ridiculous. Rittich isn’t inspiring confidence in anyone, least of all Flames management. Howard is probably the least expensive option out there to acquire. Quick will cost significantly more and Varlamov won’t be cheap either. It really depends how much you want to pour into it this year but without getting a legit starter (Quick/Varly/Howard) at the deadline this team will struggle to get out of the first round.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Should just lock this thread. It'll be such a joy watching Calgary blow their amazing season by going into the playoffs with a 26 year old Czech league journeyman

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Fine if the Flames don't want Howard and don't want to spend to acquire an actual goalie (whether Howard or another), but right now, Calgary and San Jose are two teams I expect to be bounced in the 1st round, unless things change in a great hurry as far as goaltending is concerned. You may not need an elite goalie to go far, but unless you get a Cam Ward or JS Giguere level performance from the so far poor/underwhelming playing Rittich, Smith for Calgary or Jones for San Jose, you are just asking for trouble. Look at Philly, they never go and get a proper starter and how many playoffs have they lost because of it? They are also making potentially another dumb one if it is true they want Cam Talbot.

If I was a Flames fan, I would want them to try to get someone, anyone better, because it looks bad for them standing pat.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Should just lock this thread. It'll be such a joy watching Calgary blow their amazing season by going into the playoffs with a 26 year old Czech league journeyman
Do you know what a journeyman is? Hint, it's not a guy who spent his entire 2 seasons in the Czech league with the same team. And all his time in the Czech 2nd league, U20 league and u18 leagues all with the same organization.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Fine if the Flames don't want Howard and don't want to spend to acquire an actual goalie (whether Howard or another), but right now, Calgary and San Jose are two teams I expect to be bounced in the 1st round, unless things change in a great hurry as far as goaltending is concerned. You may not need an elite goalie to go far, but unless you get a Cam Ward or JS Giguere level performance from the so far poor/underwhelming playing Rittich, Smith for Calgary or Jones for San Jose, you are just asking for trouble. Look at Philly, they never go and get a proper starter and how many playoffs have they lost because of it? They are also making potentially another dumb one if it is true they want Cam Talbot.

If I was a Flames fan, I would want them to try to get someone, anyone better, because it looks bad for them standing pat.
Alot of us do want someone, just not Howard. His stats are misleading because he gives up too many muffins. I'd much rather try and get Anaheim to convince Miller to waive his NMC

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Alot of us do want someone, just not Howard. His stats are misleading because he gives up too many muffins. I'd much rather try and get Anaheim to convince Miller to waive his NMC

Howard doesn't give up "muffins", seems like you are just going by some "advanced stat" and not even watching him play! Also late 2nd round picks do not hold anywhere close to the value that HF puts on them. These get traded all the time, because GMs know, there is a great chance you get at best a bottom tier player and many times you get nothing out of it. If you are a going for it now team, adding a UFA that you have no intention of bringing back, is not that big of a deal, if it means you give your team a better chance to win. Howard has been phenomenal this year, and his stats don't even show how good he has played. Detroit would be dead last by a country mile if for example we had to have Bernier play for us, or if Howard was performing like Smith has for you guys. Also, our defence is bottom 1-3 in the league, and Howard has performed amazing in front of it. With the Flames he would have a much better support for him, both offensively and defensively.

I honestly believe he is more than good enough to get you into a more competitive state, as you don't need the absolute best goalie in the league, but Howard, when healthy has been a Top 10 goalie for most of the past 4 seasons.

Regarding Miller, what makes him so great? He used to be a good goalie, but now he is a backup goalie, Howard is still a starter and much better. Look how good the Blues benefited from Miller a few years ago, didn't work out so well. He has only played 38 games the past 2 seasons combined.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Do you know what a journeyman is? Hint, it's not a guy who spent his entire 2 seasons in the Czech league with the same team. And all his time in the Czech 2nd league, U20 league and u18 leagues all with the same organization.

Ok fine you have a non journeyman, Czech league goalie. Guy was still playing in Czech2 only a few years ago.

Lol Ryan Miller like are you serious ? He's not even an upgrade on Smith

Sep 13, 2009
Rittich for Howard straight up ? How does that help Detroit exactly ?were not gonna give you howard for free you might not wanna give up a 1st or top prospect but it’ll at the least cost 2 2nds or a 2nd and 3rd type trade with us having to take smiths contract back

We’re not in the business of giving freebies, guys think it’s too much that’s fine but enjoy the first round cause with those 2 as goaltenders in the playoffs I don’t like your odds

Rittich's young and can develop into a 1 or 1A in Detroit. The Flames just can't afford to be patient at the moment. Having said that, I would do Smith + 2nd (2020) + 3rd (2019) for Howard.

Reactions: jkutswings

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Miller’s 38 and played 10 games lmao

Ya you go get him and let me know how that works out

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Rittich's young and can develop into a 1 or 1A in Detroit. The Flames just can't afford to be patient at the moment. Having said that, I would do Smith + 2nd (2020) + 3rd (2019) for Howard.
You can hold on to rittich then and hope he develops into a 1a in Calgary we don’t want him

Make the 2nd a 1st conditional on if the flames make it to the western finals and jimmy players a certain amount of games ... can mess around the draft years if need be and I’d do that for sure

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Howard doesn't give up "muffins", seems like you are just going by some "advanced stat" and not even watching him play!
I don't even like advanced stats, I only looked it up because some guy kept claiming me and my wing fan friends were stupid for saying he lets in muffins. It was stats to back up an observation, not just relying on stats as the whole f***ing argument. But please keep telling me who I have watched play.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't even like advanced stats, I only looked it up because some guy kept claiming me and my wing fan friends were stupid for saying he lets in muffins. It was stats to back up an observation, not just relying on stats as the whole ****ing argument. But please keep telling me who I have watched play.

Relax, just telling you what it came across as, and nothing more.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
If anything at all happens it will be a 2nd and 3rd pick for Jimmy for the playoffs and he comes back here they where talking about it on the radio after game show tonight.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I don't even like advanced stats, I only looked it up because some guy kept claiming me and my wing fan friends were stupid for saying he lets in muffins. It was stats to back up an observation, not just relying on stats as the whole ****ing argument. But please keep telling me who I have watched play.

What the f*** is a “muffin?” I recognize your handle just from the moronic use of this term the last time you called out Howard. Stop trying to make fetch happen; it’s not going to happen

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What the **** is a “muffin?” I recognize your handle just from the moronic use of this term the last time you called out Howard. Stop trying to make fetch happen; it’s not going to happen
A muffin is a soft goal against... a term almost everyone knows

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
He's the Flames equivalent of "Zaitsev + 2nd" :laugh:

How are Zaitsev and Smith equal? one is a PURE cap dump of 5 years, the other is a dump for this season only, NO ONE will pay a 2nd + middle pick for Howard unless hes coming signed for 3 years at 6M(with 50% retained) :D

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
How are Zaitsev and Smith equal? one is a PURE cap dump of 5 years, the other is a dump for this season only, NO ONE will pay a 2nd + middle pick for Howard unless hes coming signed for 3 years at 6M(with 50% retained) :D

I meant the poster not the goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad