Status
Not open for further replies.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
full

Jimmy Howard

full

2020 2nd (Edit: Flames don't have a 2019 2nd)
2019 7th
Mike Smith

Flames get Smith off the books and a fresh start, and Wings continue building for the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solace2420

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think the 2nd piece needs to be better than a 7th to make up for the fact the 2nd would be in 2020 and the Wings would need to take Smith back for the rest of the year.

Flames:
Jimmy Howard

Wings:
CGY 2020 2nd
NYI 4th 2019/Mangiapane
Mike Smith

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think the 2nd piece needs to be better than a 7th to make up for the fact the 2nd would be in 2020 and the Wings would need to take Smith back for the rest of the year.

Flames:
Jimmy Howard

Wings:
CGY 2020 2nd
NYI 4th 2019/Mangiapane
Mike Smith
Too much. Goalie market doesn't dictate that return.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I guess that answered my question :laugh:
No team is giving you a second and a solid young forward prospect for Jimmy Howard. There are very few buyers looking to acquire a goalie lije that, and several other options.

Start thinking 3rd plus 7th.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
No team is giving you a second and a solid young forward prospect for Jimmy Howard. There are very few buyers looking to acquire a goalie lije that, and several other options.

Start thinking 3rd plus 7th.

Out of curiosity, who are the other options available?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Flames:
Jimmy Howard

Wings:
CGY 2020 2nd
NYI 4th 2019/Mangiapane
Mike Smith

I think you're undervaluing Mangiapane to liken his value to a 4th. While the Flames have certainly hit on their 4ths (Brodie, Gaudreau, Kulak, (Pospisil?)) I still think of them as low value picks. Mangiapane is a high upside player whose 18-21yo NHLes all point to a middle sixer at worst and a guy with bonafide top six upside. He's also finally starting to figure out the NHL game after a rough start to his career. I wouldn't include him in any rental deal.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Out of curiosity, who are the other options available?

I would be looking at names like Nilsson, Mrazek, and Varlamov. I think with how bad Smith has been it's a very low bar to improve upon him.

Howevef I also think Howard will return less than Detroit expects. A few years ago Dubnyk went for a 3rd round pick despite being Arizona's by-far best goalie, I see that as the cost of acquiring a goalie.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
OP is fair, just have to switch the 2nd to 2020. Smith is mandatory. a 2019 7th is fine for now, maybe if there is an issue with the 2020 2nd, change the 7th to a 5th or 6th.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I would be looking at names like Nilsson, Mrazek, and Varlamov. I think with how bad Smith has been it's a very low bar to improve upon him.

Howevef I also think Howard will return less than Detroit expects. A few years ago Dubnyk went for a 3rd round pick despite being Arizona's by-far best goalie, I see that as the cost of acquiring a goalie.

That's fair, if you're only looking to upgrade the backup position it might not cost a 2nd, but I don't think you'd be getting a quality player like Howard in return.

Mrazek isn't good and shouldn't be the guy the Flames make a move for, imo. I also don't think Nilsson is being dealt at this rate, but anything can happen with Ottawa.

Varlamov is probably the piece that makes the most sense, but I'm also not convinced the Avs are willing to punt on this season, which could make things tricky.

Reactions: WingsFanInExile

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
That's fair, if you're only looking to upgrade the backup position it might not cost a 2nd, but I don't think you'd be getting a quality player like Howard in return.

No, but I see whoever we do acquire as purely a backup rental. We simply don't have much cap space next season to extend a guy like Howard, and the cost of two or three months doesn't seem worthwhile. As we saw in previous years you can acquire some pretty good RFA goalies in the offseason for very reasonable prices. A name that is extensively on my radar is Cal Petersen, and I hope the Flames are looking at him as the kind of guy you acquire in the offseason. Maybe even at the deadline but prices at the deadline tend to be inflated for long term adds.

Reactions: stempniaksen

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
People need to understand that Ken Holland doesn't expect a 1st for Howard, but isn't going to move him for anything less than one.

Trading the only goalie in your system worth a **** for a pick around #50 is not smart at all.

It would be 2020...Who knows how the flames will do next year. I doubt they drop off but the past few years have been up and down.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It would be 2020...Who knows how the flames will do next year. I doubt they drop off but the past few years have been up and down.

It's not worth it either way. Detroit has plenty of U25 guys that you'd get with that range pick.

I'm not saying Howard SHOULD return a 1st. I'm just saying Detroit gets very little value out of trading him for anything less, and to lose your only starting caliber goalie for that isn't worth it.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It's not worth it either way. Detroit has plenty of U25 guys that you'd get with that range pick.

I'm not saying Howard SHOULD return a 1st. I'm just saying Detroit gets very little value out of trading him for anything less, and to lose your only starting caliber goalie for that isn't worth it.

"Lose" is a bit of an overatatement, no? It seems pretty public knowledge that if Howard gets moved at the deadline he will likely pull an Antoine Vermette and come right back in July.

So Detroit has little to actually lose and only assets to gain.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad