Value of: Jimmy Howard to CGY

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
How? Howard is extremely overrated and his number flatter him. He's a slightly better Smith, he will let in almost as many garbage goals.

Not sure what you are saying here. You don’t think Howard is as good as his numbers indicate? How about the fact he is playing behind one of the worst defenses in the league and is leaps and bounds better than his backup in front of the same d.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not sure what you are saying here. You don’t think Howard is as good as his numbers indicate? How about the fact he is playing behind one of the worst defenses in the league and is leaps and bounds better than his backup in front of the same d.
It was pretty clear.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Think it good trade for Calgary. Wings won't get much more in any trade, unless (and the Wings can only hope) that a true contender has an injury to their # 1 goalie.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
well for one he gives up a decent amount of muffins, causing his low danger SV% to not be all that impressive.

You keep saying that yet you havent provided anything to support that except "word of mouth" from your "friends" who are "red wings fans". Can you provide all these muffins he has let in this season? Because right now, you just sound like a kid who can't get what it wants.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You keep saying that yet you havent provided anything to support that except "word of mouth" from your "friends" who are "red wings fans". Can you provide all these muffins he has let in this season? Because right now, you just sound like a kid who can't get what it wants.
A kid that can't get what he wants?

I DO NOT f***ING WANT HOWARD AT ANY f***ING COST

It's not hard to understand dude, how can I be upset about not getting something I don't want I've said from the start in both threads no.

You guy can keep bragging about his numbers, but bad teams with good goaltending aren't usually bottom feeders.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
A kid that can't get what he wants?

I DO NOT ****ING WANT HOWARD AT ANY ****ING COST

It's not hard to understand dude, how can I be upset about not getting something I don't want I've said from the start in both threads no.

You guy can keep bragging about his numbers, but bad teams with good goaltending aren't usually bottom feeders.

Several teams has been at the bottom of the standings with good goalies. Rangers last year, Sharks in 93, Panthers and Ducks in 02, Sabres in 14 to name a few. Or are you saying that Lundqvist, Ryan Miller, Irbe, Giguere and Luongo were aging bad backups in respective years? :help:

Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Several teams has been at the bottom of the standings with good goalies. Rangers last year, Sharks in 93, Panthers and Ducks in 02, Sabres in 14 to name a few. Or are you saying that Lundqvist, Ryan Miller, Irbe, Giguere and Luongo were aging bad backups in respective years? :help:
"Usually"

I'm done with this stupid argument. Like I said in the last thread, you keep your garbage, we'll keep ours

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

I'll be less adamantly opposed to Howard, but he's very middle of the pack as a backup in my mind. I'd be okay if we got him, but certainly don't want Calgary to splurge to get him. I doubt many other teams are in the great Jimmy Howard sweepstakes either.

Most teams are likely to throw their quality picks and prospects at much better trade deadline targets. The less sought after targets are going to go for a lot less than many fans anticipate this year.

Speedy Creek

Jul 9, 2007
The Flames probably have a 2nd round pick in 2019 (not 2020) since the trade with the Islanders was ...

Traded • Travis Hamonic • fourth round pick (2019 if Flames fail to qualify for 2019 playoffs, else 2020) (?-?) to Flames for • 2018 first round pick (#12-Noah Dobson) • 2018 second round pick (#43-Ruslan Iskhakov) • second round pick (2019 if Flames fail to qualify for 2019 playoffs, else 2020) (?-?)

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
How? Howard is extremely overrated and his number flatter him. He's a slightly better Smith, he will let in almost as many garbage goals.
1. It’s a rental, we’re not getting any term on an aging goalie that will handcuff us on truly making the team better
2. Acquisition cost - we’re not giving up a first +
3. You’ve always had an axe to grind against Howard, he’s a clear upgrade on Smith in the backup position

To be clear, I’d completely rather go after another guy that would be even cheaper (McElhinney type) or similar veteran backup, but this is superior to Quick in nearly every way (except for Quick being a better goalie) but considering everything else I’d go with a deal like this 10/10 times at this point.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I would be looking at names like Nilsson, Mrazek, and Varlamov. I think with how bad Smith has been it's a very low bar to improve upon him.

Howevef I also think Howard will return less than Detroit expects. A few years ago Dubnyk went for a 3rd round pick despite being Arizona's by-far best goalie, I see that as the cost of acquiring a goalie.
Mrazek? LMAO! I hope the Flames do that!

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I'll be less adamantly opposed to Howard, but he's very middle of the pack as a backup in my mind. I'd be okay if we got him, but certainly don't want Calgary to splurge to get him. I doubt many other teams are in the great Jimmy Howard sweepstakes either.

Most teams are likely to throw their quality picks and prospects at much better trade deadline targets. The less sought after targets are going to go for a lot less than many fans anticipate this year.
He wouldn’t be a backup in Calgary ... and as an outsider here and not giving a shit if it’s howard or not if you don’t get an upgrade in nets you guys will regret it, smiths been awful and the other guys a 26-27 yr old rookie

It would be a shame to waste the season cause outside of the goaltending you guys are having a great season and can go pretty far

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Flames don't have a 2nd in 2019. Would have to be 2020
Holland has already said that he's not looking at picks past 2019, He wants to make the playoffs next year. Yeah we all know it's not happening. Unless we make some big splashes this summer. But 2020 picks aren't happening Detroit and Calgary don't make good trading partners. Since Calgary doesn't have their 2019 2nd round pick.

Richard Menzel

Jan 23, 2019

Every goalie gives up bad goals, so that is no argument. 5 on 5 save percentage I do believe Howard is 2nd in the league. Last I knew he has a .914 save percentage. So with that being said a 2nd rd pick plus a prospect is fair market value.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I would be looking at names like Nilsson, Mrazek, and Varlamov. I think with how bad Smith has been it's a very low bar to improve upon him.

Howevef I also think Howard will return less than Detroit expects. A few years ago Dubnyk went for a 3rd round pick despite being Arizona's by-far best goalie, I see that as the cost of acquiring a goalie.

I don't think it's what Holland expects. I think Holland expects it's a long shot for anybody to pay what he's willing to trade Howard for, and he's willing to keep Howard if nobody does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad