Value of: Jimmy Howard to CGY

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
"Lose" is a bit of an overatatement, no? It seems pretty public knowledge that if Howard gets moved at the deadline he will likely pull an Antoine Vermette and come right back in July.

So Detroit has little to actually lose and only assets to gain.

Lots of people make that claim and it rarely happens once they see some of the money thrown their way.

To bet on it with an asset like a starting goalie is foolish.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
a 2nd that turns into first if Calgary wins the cup and he starts 50% + of there playoff games. a rental goalie is worth a 2nd and a cup is priceless.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I would be looking at names like Nilsson, Mrazek, and Varlamov. I think with how bad Smith has been it's a very low bar to improve upon him.

Howevef I also think Howard will return less than Detroit expects. A few years ago Dubnyk went for a 3rd round pick despite being Arizona's by-far best goalie, I see that as the cost of acquiring a goalie.

Now Im getting you want a back up goalie but Mrazek is worse than Smith... Nilsson would be a good pick up though.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
OP is fair, just have to switch the 2nd to 2020. Smith is mandatory. a 2019 7th is fine for now, maybe if there is an issue with the 2020 2nd, change the 7th to a 5th or 6th.

I think if youre giving up a 2nd in 2020, the second piece in this deal would have to be better. Maybe make it conditional on games started and how far they go it could become a first, or bump that 7th rounder up to something half decent this year like a 4th.

The flames should make a move for a goalie though. An injury to Rittich or rookie nerves in the playoffs and their playoff run is cooked. A quality vet like Howard to fall back on instead of Smith would be good for them

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think if youre giving up a 2nd in 2020, the second piece in this deal would have to be better. Maybe make it conditional on games started and how far they go it could become a first, or bump that 7th rounder up to something half decent this year like a 4th.

The flames should make a move for a goalie though. An injury to Rittich or rookie nerves in the playoffs and their playoff run is cooked. A quality vet like Howard to fall back on instead of Smith would be good for them

It really depends. I don't know how many other teams are in the market for a goalie. Is it worth being upset about it being a 2020 2nd and 2019 5th vs a 2020 2nd and 2019 4th? Not really an exception draft class anyway.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hard pass, especially at the ridiculous price Wings fans seem to think he can fetch

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Hard pass, especially at the ridiculous price Wings fans seem to think he can fetch

Its not about what we think he can fetch. Its about Red Wings having absolutely no need to trade Howard for lesser draft picks. We have no young goalies ready for a season in the NHL and we can just resign Howard. So Holland has put the price at first, not expecting to get it but as what it would take for him to make the trade.

Like I wrote before. Its fair you want a back up and you can probably pick up Nilsson pretty cheap. But you guys seem pretty salty you cant get a quality goalie with playoff experience like Howard on the cheap. Thats just not how it works.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Basically we Red Wings fans have to do 2 things:

1) Collect draft picks.

But also 2) We need to not suck so badly that all our young kids dont learn... come to the NHL too early, lose every game and basically become so demoralized they ask for trades out of town or plan to leave when they get to UFA status. We know the goalie market sucks. No one will pay a 1st for Howard. We know that.
The trouble is a 2nd round pick just isn't a very nice "asset". Its a 25-30% chance of an NHL player. 70% chance of a pure bust.
I honestly think having an acceptable goalie in net for the next 3 years, which allows our team to at least appear reasonable while being dead last in the league is better than being a tire fire.

So i would pass on this deal overall. And likely expect to simply not get an asset for Howard and re-sign him.

There is a lot of posters on this board that think only #1 should be our concern, and we should just take what we can get.
I am very concerned about #2 though. And I think re-signing Howard has value to the organization.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Its not about what we think he can fetch. Its about Red Wings having absolutely no need to trade Howard for lesser draft picks. We have no young goalies ready for a season in the NHL and we can just resign Howard. So Holland has put the price at first, not expecting to get it but as what it would take for him to make the trade.

Like I wrote before. Its fair you want a back up and you can probably pick up Nilsson pretty cheap. But you guys seem pretty salty you cant get a quality goalie with playoff experience like Howard on the cheap. Thats just not how it works.
Frankly, I don't even want Howard for free. You're more than welcome to keep him

Puckhead44

May 16, 2018
IMO I think Holland knows he won't be GM for Detroit past next season so trading for a 2020 draft pick does nothing for him.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I honestly think having an acceptable goalie in net for the next 3 years, which allows our team to at least appear reasonable while being dead last in the league is better than being a tire fire.
Sorry but you just confused the hell out of me here.

What exactly is the difference between a "tire fire," and a team that "appears reasonable" while being dead last in the league?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So salty. :laugh:
How am I salty? I don't like Howard as a goaltender, I think his stats are extremely flattering. It has nothing to do with what you or any other wings fan has said.

If you want salty, read the repliers after I said I didn't want him in the last thread this stupid idea was brought up in.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like this option better than the Quick to Calgary thread floating around the last few days
How? Howard is extremely overrated and his number flatter him. He's a slightly better Smith, he will let in almost as many garbage goals.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This coming from the guy who thinks he can get both Howard and Nyquist for a 2nd, 4th, and Mike Smith. :laugh:
Excuse me? I was adamant that I wanted nothing to do with Howard, maybe you want to bone up on your reading there buddy. You argued with me about saying Howard is not a good goaltender and that he lets in muffins, nothing to do with his trade value because I wouldn't want the Flames to give up a 7th for him quite frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad