News Article: Jimmy Hayes, Matt Beleskey embrace challenge of coming to Bruins

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Just out of curiosity, why is it ok for you to sit here and insist that he "only took the money" without knowing for sure what each and every offer made was... but when someone else cites reports (even conjectural reports) that he left money on the table, you call bull?

You certainly seem extremely confident - I presume you have some sort of insider info on every offer that was tended?

Guy has career year and scores 22 goals after a career high of 9. He's 27, this is the contract to cement his entire financial future. When this contract ends he will be 32 and unless he is the big exception, this is when power-forwards start to retire. We only know of two deals, what the Ducks offered and what the Bruins offered and the took the Bruins offer because it was more guaranteed money, NMC and a longer term. The fact is, no one can find a real rumour out there other than guys spit balling on twitter. There is a reason for that, GM's aren't telling anyone what their offers were, all pundits were just guessing.

And why am I so confident? It's just common sense people. Here is his chance to hit the lottery and ensure his financial independence for his entire life, and he comes to a city for less money because he "likes it" in Boston? Sounds like a moron to me if that's the case.

It won't matter when we buy out this guy in a few years anyway.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Guy has career year and scores 22 goals after a career high of 9. He's 27, this is the contract to cement his entire financial future. When this contract ends he will be 32 and unless he is the big exception, this is when power-forwards start to retire. We only know of two deals, what the Ducks offered and what the Bruins offered and the took the Bruins offer because it was more guaranteed money, NMC and a longer term. The fact is, no one can find a real rumour out there other than guys spit balling on twitter. There is a reason for that, GM's aren't telling anyone what their offers were, all pundits were just guessing.

And why am I so confident? It's just common sense people. Here is his chance to hit the lottery and ensure his financial independence for his entire life, and he comes to a city for less money because he "likes it" in Boston? Sounds like a moron to me if that's the case.

while I understand your post, his NMC is only for the first two years and his contract, especially by then in what I will guess is an increasing cap, would be negligible.

I get he had a career year playing with Kessler and Getzlaf, truth be told, he was playing with Bonino in the years past, wasn`t getting quite the opportunities he did this past year, took advantage of playing with far superior players and cashed in, hardly cashed in big time though and what I like about the possibility of him moving forward is that career year came playing on a line that opponents would have been focusing on to try and shut down

Everything will play out, I feel bad for both Hayes and Beleskey for gawd forbid if they go a week, even two without scoring, the madness that too often ensues here will be nauseating, I`m betting both will hit about the same totals this coming season and if so, I`m ok with that

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
while I understand your post, his NMC is only for the first two years and his contract, especially by then in what I will guess is an increasing cap, would be negligible.

I get he had a career year playing with Kessler and Getzlaf, truth be told, he was playing with Bonino in the years past, wasn`t getting quite the opportunities he did this past year, took advantage of playing with far superior players and cashed in, hardly cashed in big time though and what I like about the possibility of him moving forward is that career year came playing on a line that opponents would have been focusing on to try and shut down

Everything will play out, I feel bad for both Hayes and Beleskey for gawd forbid if they go a week, even two without scoring, the madness that too often ensues here will be nauseating, I`m betting both will hit about the same totals this coming season and if so, I`m ok with that

Not sure Hayes will bring anything other than scoring ... Beleskey at the very least will be a high energy in your face player even if he's not scoring.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Watch Belesky play for Belleville in junior against the Kitchener Rangers in a seven game play off and again in the Mem Cup. The kid leaves it all on the ice and plays with a lot of heart. Good pick up. Bruin fans should like this guy.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

He played the majority of last season on the Kesler line, not Getzlaf/Perry.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
He played the majority of last season on the Kesler line, not Getzlaf/Perry.

HoWever, he scored 12 of his 22 goals playing with Getzlaf and Perry last season. Slightly over 50% but he only played around 30% of his minutes with them.

Last edited:

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014

He is the same age as DiFazio. Why did they give $3mil more to him?

:popcorn:
G

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
As of right now, the only reason there's cap space is that we haven't added anyone. We replaced two 3rd line caliber players (Soderberg, Smith) with two others (Hayes, Beleskey), and we moved on from a top line guy in Lucic, and a top pairing guy in Hamilton.

So it's not as though we magically created cap space out of thin air and remained competitive. Impressive would have been moving out Kelly, Seidenberg, and not re-signing Adam McQuaid when the organization is already swimming in bottom pairing defensemen or defense prospects that need bottom pairing deployment to get their feet wet.

Another thing I read here frequently lately is people won't be "bored" by this team. Oh no? If they don't get legitimate transition from the back end, and we start seeing more defensive zone starts than we have in the past because we're much worse at driving possession, then this team is going to be really boring and suck while doing it. Unless you're entertained by Zac Rinaldo being a p.o.s. Because he's awesome at that. Terrible at hockey.

You forgot Chara that would have been something to read of.

Oh! But he was injured, he was recovering, hardest working guy in the gym.

To me he is a 38 year huge man who will spend his time picking himself up of the ice at the most inopportune time.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Even Sir Bob said that the minimun deal he would sign is 5/5 and Sweeney signed him with 3.8M, I was ready to hate that deal but him under 4M is great.

It was reported that he had lots of offers on his table but wanted to come to Boston.
I'm also sorry but I trust Bob when he says something.

He had fallen in love with Boston when he was there last summer with his wife at someone's wedding, you can clearly see that he loves it there and that his wife loves it there.

Beleskey turned down multiple, better offers from other teams because he wanted to come here.

It's been reported on and discussed, not rumors. Google is your friend.

Again when even Bob says on the same day that beleskey signed with us that the minimun he signs for
is 5/5
(he had multiple offers on the table before Sweeney gave his) it's pretty telling and I'm sorry but I go with Bob over your thinking.
+ every Boston reporter was saying it's clear he left money on the table.

Just out of curiosity, why is it ok for you to sit here and insist that he "only took the money" without knowing for sure what each and every offer made was... but when someone else cites reports (even conjectural reports) that he left money on the table, you call bull?

You certainly seem extremely confident - I presume you have some sort of insider info on every offer that was tended?

Hey everyone, read this.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2015/07/matt_beleskey_deals_with_it

Despite the bloated Soderberg deal, Beleskey never believed the big money predictions for him.

“Honestly, I didn’t think I was going to get $5 million at all,” said Beleskey. “Five million is a lot of money. I would have taken it if someone offered, obviously. But I’m very happy with the contract I’ve signed here with the no-trade they set up for me (a full prohibition in the first two years, partial the next two) and the term they signed me for — and a team that wants me to be around as a Bruin.

Wow cool Beleskey himself admits that no one offered him 5 million or more a year and would've taken it if someone offered. So again, Beleskey signed the best contract with the most money for himself, none of this non-sense of loving Boston. Come to the real world gentlemen.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hey everyone, read this.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2015/07/matt_beleskey_deals_with_it

Wow cool Beleskey himself admits that no one offered him 5 million or more a year and would've taken it if someone offered. So again, Beleskey signed the best contract with the most money for himself, none of this non-sense of loving Boston. Come to the real world gentlemen.

3.8M wasn't the highest money for him.

And I've read an article before when he said he fall in love with Boston with his wife when they were there at a wedding.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
But Bob Mackenzie said so

Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

Zac Rinaldo*

if he scores 20 goals and plays the gritty game he did in anaheim, i don't really care if it was his childhood dream to play in boston or not.

patrick sharp is super stoked to be in dallas.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

And I've read an article before when he said he fall in love with Boston with his wife when they were there at a wedding.

Boston offered the most money, he took it.

I have no problem with that. But to say its because his wife fell in love with the city during a wedding is being naive.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I have no problem with that. But to say its because his wife fell in love with the city during a wedding is being naive.

So it didn't help his decision at all?

I think it's pretty easy to see that he loves it there, being part on everything, reading his comments and twitter it's pretty clear he loves it.

He was the number 1 UFA forward target and had offers on his table, I'd say their love for Boston helped a bit, haven't said it was 100% because of it.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014

This is correct....do not underestimate the importance of term when you are trying to get a contract off one good season at age 27.....chris kelly scored 20 goals on a good team once and got paid for it, ask him how grateful he is for the term of his contract.....

It's pretty standard for players of multi-year contracts to comment on how they love the city.......as if he could really say yah the city is okay but i'd play anywhere, the money is what drew me in......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad