News Article: Jimmy Hayes, Matt Beleskey embrace challenge of coming to Bruins

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
But Sweeney has also said he wants players excited to be Boston Bruins. Well, he certainly has that in both the Dorchester-bred Hayes and Ontario-born Beleskey.

And you don't have to tell Hayes what the B's identity has been historically.

“They're known as the Big, Bad Bruins and it's always a heavy game when you're playing against them,†said the 25-year-old Boston College product. “They're a team that's always had a ton of size and a lot of power forwards as well. I think we're going to continue to go in that direction, adding a guy like myself and Beleskey. And there's a lot of skill up front as well.â€

Hayes comes with the stamp of approval from former Bruin Shawn Thornton, Hayes' former teammate with the Florida Panthers.

“I love that kid,†said Thornton shortly after the trade. “He's a hard-working kid, a great team guy. And I'll tell you, he'll be a guy that's proud to pull on that sweater.â€

While Beleskey grew up in Barrie, Ontario, it sounds like he's every bit as excited to be playing here. With the departure of Milan Lucic, it appears he'll have a great chance to play on David Krejci's left wing. But Beleskey said he didn't necessarily cherry-pick his landing spot because of certain holes in the roster.

“It's the Boston Bruins. It's an extremely attractive place to be,†said 27-year-old Beleskey. “I looked at their team, I talked with my agent and my family and it's always been a place I've liked. I didn't really look at the situation. Any team you go to, you're going to have to earn whatever you get.â€

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/..._matt_beleskey_embrace_challenge_of_coming_to

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I love this, we needed players like this. Last's years team was almost broken, beaten, the energy/fire was just missing and now we were able to bring in new players and players who wants to play for Boston.

I know he wasn't in this article but Kemppainen is also a player who wants to play for Boston and can't wait to get his chance, said it was really easy decision to make, Boston wanted him badly and he wanted to play for Boston.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Beleskey seems to really want to be here and immerse himself in all things Bruins, reminds me a bit of Chara and Savards attitude when coming to the Bruins.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
My favorite part is Thorntons endorsement.

I was pleased to read that as well GW...
As i stated in another thread earlier today, it is refreshing and truly optimistic to know that certain players will wear their jersey proudly and play with more punch to their game.
All good news!!

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Yup the energy and passion this years team will bring to the ice will make up for the holes in talent

This will be a playoff team

Lot of young hungry players that are making penauts that want to earn that money (Spooner, Pasta, Connolly, Trotman, Morrow etc)

no more passengers

Krejci out to prove he is a #1 center after last year

Tuukka will want to show his Vezina was no fluke

Z and Seids will be motivated as hell to prove last year was a fluke and they can still play at a high level in this league post injuries

Beleskey wants to show he isn't a one hit wonder and live up to his contract

Hayes playing for the local team

Eriksson should be motivated as hell knowing this is probably his last chance at big money in his NHL Career

Krug looking to show he is a legit top 4 D and get that long term contract he will want

Lot to like about this team

a lot of times it's not about the talent in this sport it's just who ever works the hardest for 60 mins can win a lot of games and I see this squad who has a lot of guys with something to play for doing just that

Last years team was fat and happy lot of veterans who had made good money and won there cup already no competition or threat to lose there spots this year will be a complete 180 from last

roguepatriot

Jun 24, 2010
Sounds good. Maybe we will be talking about the Neely effect 5 years from now.

Or maybe his new best friend Charlie will run of patience as they struggle to rebuild their defense on the fly and we have to get used to a new brand of Jacobs interference. :) At least things look like they will be interesting.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Beleskey took less money to come here than to stay in Anaheim... And he took 1m less per year to be here over the other teams interested in him. As much as I love Boston, it's cold as a mother ****er during Winter, the fans and media are insanely harsh, and this team isn't half as competitive as Anaheim. He really wants to be here and I love that. Same with Hayes, a Boston kid who grew up watching the Bruins and probably reenacted Orr's goal in his driveway every day.

We may not be as talented as we were a few years ago, and there might be a dark couple of years ahead, but we're bringing back an identity. And that's something we've lacked. It's been a long time since we've played like a team. Sweeney is trying to bring that back and he's done a damn good job thus far. Besides the Hamilton trade that he had limited options with, he's done a great job in a horrendous situation.

Lucic was a team player but a lot of times he was all bark and no bite. Constantly making promises to be better but he never did. Smith was a floater. Hamilton obviously didn't want to be here. Good riddance to them. Give me kids who will work hard every shift, kids who want to be a Bruin

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
a lot of times it's not about the talent in this sport it's just who ever works the hardest for 60 mins can win a lot of games and I see this squad who has a lot of guys with something to play for doing just that

t

Absolutely nuts on.

On paper only takes you so far. At the end of the day you still have to play.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Aww Sugar

Definitely my favorite part. I hope he comes back after he retires to work in the office or something. Great guy.

Same here.

I think hed be great to take over for Johnny Bucyk when the day comes. On the payroll. Engaged with the Alumni. Travel with the team and like Chief be a sounding board for the next generation(s) of Bruins kids.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Jimmy is going to be good here. He literally bleeds black and gold and you can't get anymore lunch pail than a kid from Dorchester.

The ringing endorsement from Sugar is the cherry on top.

Love what I've seen and heard from Beleskey so far as well.

Can't wait to see them both on the ice.

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
Don't suck on the ice. The nice feelings and the promises of trying really hard are great, but it'll come down to whether or not they suck on the ice.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I love this, we needed players like this. Last's years team was almost broken, beaten, the energy/fire was just missing and now we were able to bring in new players and players who wants to play for Boston.

I know he wasn't in this article but Kemppainen is also a player who wants to play for Boston and can't wait to get his chance, said it was really easy decision to make, Boston wanted him badly and he wanted to play for Boston.

Looking good! DS appears to be high on Joo (TM) as well, so you may get your wish.

reillysmith38

Dec 22, 2013
Beleskey took less money to come here than to stay in Anaheim... And he took 1m less per year to be here over the other teams interested in him. As much as I love Boston, it's cold as a mother ****er during Winter, the fans and media are insanely harsh, and this team isn't half as competitive as Anaheim. He really wants to be here and I love that. Same with Hayes, a Boston kid who grew up watching the Bruins and probably reenacted Orr's goal in his driveway every day.

We may not be as talented as we were a few years ago, and there might be a dark couple of years ahead, but we're bringing back an identity. And that's something we've lacked. It's been a long time since we've played like a team. Sweeney is trying to bring that back and he's done a damn good job thus far. Besides the Hamilton trade that he had limited options with, he's done a great job in a horrendous situation.

Lucic was a team player but a lot of times he was all bark and no bite. Constantly making promises to be better but he never did. Smith was a floater. Hamilton obviously didn't want to be here. Good riddance to them. Give me kids who will work hard every shift, kids who want to be a Bruin

Woah there, say what you want about Hamilton and Smith, but Lucic embodied what it was to be a Bruin.

I can't believe half the people here were running him out of town. I understand he has his shortcomings in certain areas of the game, but Milan Lucic was born to be a Bruin and gave this team his all for 8 years. It was a pleasure to watch him play here and I wish him the best of luck in the future.

I can't be alone on this right?

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
i'd like hayes more if he threw a hit and didn't go to bc

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Looking good! DS appears to be high on Joo (TM) as well, so you may get your wish.

I'm really hoping to see Kemppainen on our roster, he'd be a great bottom6 player.
He said he'll do whatever it takes to win that roster spot so hopefully he has a great offseason.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Woah there, say what you want about Hamilton and Smith, but Lucic embodied what it was to be a Bruin.

I can't believe half the people here were running him out of town. I understand he has his shortcomings in certain areas of the game, but Milan Lucic was born to be a Bruin and gave this team his all for 8 years. It was a pleasure to watch him play here and I wish him the best of luck in the future.

I can't be alone on this right?

Not in the slightest.

I love me some Lucic and I will enjoy Calgary LA gamea. I hope Looch steamrolls Hamilton.

Lucic is going to lay out some pain in the west.

If he came back as a ufa, I would be estatic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad