Confirmed with Link: Jimcent Vesey on PTO

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Must be a little bit awkward for Jimmy to go from having his behind buttered by half the league to having to show coaches and youngsters how he is superdupergood at hockey to be worthy a league minimum contract

Reactions: 1specter

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Keeping in mind that the Rangers turned it around really fast...some of which has been we've been lucky to win two draft lotteries....to have Fox and Shesterkin two young players quickly become elite players in the league. For Fox actually to grow up a Rangers fan and work his situation to our benefit.

Gauthier or Hajek with a much weaker team might actually blossom more. Gauthier is a proven goal scorer at the AHL level with size, speed and strength. With another team he might get the chance to play more regularly and out of the spotlight build some confidence. There's no good reason other than confidence that Hajek has never been able to build a two way game. He was a really really good WHL player who had an excellent WJC as a 19 year old. Nothing's really clicked for him since he's turned pro but he's a good skater with size and some puck skills. It's just never come out and IMO it's confidence in himself more than anything. He should sit down with a sports psychologist.
Didn't hajek have an injury that's affected his game since? And i would like to see gauthier net front on second pp unit.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Didn't hajek have an injury that's affected his game since? And i would like to see gauthier net front on second pp unit.

When others deserve it more? We're not at the stage anymore where we need to waste time on young guys who aren't making progress. This isn't retooling now. We're a team that expects to win on any given night against any given team. Gauthier needs a change of scenery not another chance to see if there's anything at all there. Winning teams don't continue to give guys more chances. They move on when someone isn't working out for them.

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
When others deserve it more? We're not at the stage anymore where we need to waste time on young guys who aren't making progress. This isn't retooling now. We're a team that expects to win on any given night against any given team. Gauthier needs a change of scenery not another chance to see if there's anything at all there. Winning teams don't continue to give guys more chances. They move on when someone isn't working out for them.
He hasn't been given a chance there which is stupid but hey let them battle it out and see who best fits there.. of course that won't happen lol

More importantly does Susan Sarandon approve of this?
Go to her ping pong club and ask her yourself..

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He hasn't been given a chance there which is stupid but hey let them battle it out and see who best fits there.. of course that won't happen lol

Go to her ping pong club and ask her yourself..
i’ll just start off with Gauthier will be hard pressed just to make the team. The Rangers are likely to break camp with 13 F 7 D and 2G to start the season. He’s not a lock to be one of them by a long shot and IMO he’s not a particularly effective bottom line player so where are you going to fit him into our top 6 especially if the Rangers as some seem to think move Lafreniere to the right side to get him more top 6 ice time. Are you putting Gauthier ahead of Kakko? Kravtsov? Blais? Keep in mind in his 99 NHL games including playoffs Julien has scored 5 goals and I can’t remember him ever scoring off a one timer. Personally I see him heading for Hartford or being picked up on waivers.

Reactions: gabevh3

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Actually, there's some truth in what you said. Teams will sometime bring a player to camp that they have no intention to sign just so he can get some exposure. Usually, a friend of a friend deals.
True. But I think Vesey signed his PTO a bit too early for that to be the case here. I am guessing he’s a Ranger this year. Hopefully just 13F though. He can fill in pretty much any role, to be fair.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
True. But I think Vesey signed his PTO a bit too early for that to be the case here. I am guessing he’s a Ranger this year. Hopefully just 13F though. He can fill in pretty much any role, to be fair.
Much rather him be on the 4th line than Hunt (only because I know GG can't help himself and will end up moving hunt up to the 2nd line at some point).

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gauthier doesn't really have a roster spot to lose.

IMO we have 8 locks at forward:

1. Mika
2. Panarin
3. Kreider
4. Trocheck
5. Lafreniere
6. Kakko
7. Chytil
8. Goodrow

after that the most likely to win jobs:

9. Blais
10. Kravtsov
11. Reaves (like it or not he's big, can fight, hits a lot....a Gallant favorite and a locker room guy and his contract can't be completely buried).

and then two forwards to emerge out of these guys:

Hunt, Carpenter, Brodzinski, Gauthier, Vesey, Cuylle, Othmann, Rydahl, Trivigno and that will be the forward group. Some might have better chances than others but I wouldn't put Gauthier or necessarily Vesey at the top of that list. It might just be Hunt and Carpenter both of whom fit a 4th line profile better than a few of the others.

I agree, and in addition, I don’t see Othman, Trivigno and co as candidates for a 4th line spot. They are competing with Kravy and co for the top 9.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I agree, and in addition, I don’t see Othman, Trivigno and co as candidates for a 4th line spot. They are competing with Kravy and co for the top 9.

Trivingo has a shot just because they have only a few Cs . If Carpenter stinks he’s likely the call up . The Swede is the other option

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Vesey came with a lot of fanfare when he signed, but if you remember from people who had watched a lot of him in college, almost all of them cautioned this isn't a Kevin Hayes situation where you're getting a guy with legitimate star potential. He was seen as more of a top nine guy who would have a nice, productive career and definitely score some goals, but he wasn't going to be a huge player. I think what he became (especially when he played for us) was pretty close to reasonable expectations for him--maybe a bit on the lower end--but he definitely wasn't a flop. And now he has kind of reinvented his game s bit which should help his staying power in the league.

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
i’ll just start off with Gauthier will be hard pressed just to make the team. The Rangers are likely to break camp with 13 F 7 D and 2G to start the season. He’s not a lock to be one of them by a long shot and IMO he’s not a particularly effective bottom line player so where are you going to fit him into our top 6 especially if the Rangers as some seem to think move Lafreniere to the right side to get him more top 6 ice time. Are you putting Gauthier ahead of Kakko? Kravtsov? Blais? Keep in mind in his 99 NHL games including playoffs Julien has scored 5 goals and I can’t remember him ever scoring off a one timer. Personally I see him heading for Hartford or being picked up on waivers.
I recall a goal Gauthier scored on a wrist shot from down low near the boards . was so rare i still have a vision of it lol it's 1 of the few times he actually took a wrist shot instead of crashing the net.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
goodfellas-laughing.gif

note: not excited, just posting the Jimmy gif

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I don't want him to make the team, but I also didn't realize how good Vesey was on the PK last year.
Vesey has been a great PKer for the last few years but that's really all he brings for this team at this point. You could definitely do worse.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

some certainly have better odds than others.

Would note for all those who see Rydahl for instance having little chance. He’ll be 28 soon…..is a fully grown 6’3 200 + lb. man who has established a playing style that might easily be projectable for a 4th line NHL player. I’d mention as well he signed for one year so if it doesn’t work out it’s as likely there’s an agreement his contract will be voided and he’ll go back to the SHL. If he did go to Hartford though his contract is one way meaning he’ll get $750,000 to play for the Pack Just like he would playing for the Rangers.

Trivigno has a history of overcoming the lacks size obstacle. He is surprisingly a very physical player for his size. My guess he’s a real reach to make the Rangers out of camp but it wouldn’t surprise me to see him become a key player for the Pack this year and perhaps earn a call up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad