Jim Rutherford "likely out in Pittsburgh"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
You are probably the only person who thinks so.

Inside of Yinzerville, I'm sure. But not outside of Yinzerville. The reviews on Scuds have been as I've described, solid.

Admittedly, he hasn't been the worst defenseman, that has probably been Lovejoy

Not as long as Paul Martin is getting a shift. It's not even close. He was standing NEXT to Hayes for cripes sake and did nothing but watch Hayes score his first playoff goal. Had that been in the other zone, any Blueshirt D would have at least skated him out of there if not outright wrecked him. Not Paul Martin, tho. Al he does is watch TV.

And please don't tell me that Despres would have drilled him.

I'm not sure how posting the draft class of 2009 helps either argument though? He's a relatively solid draft choice at 30 there, especially when you have no idea how any of those players are going to progress.

Of course you're not sure. Despres is near the bottom of his class which, had you taxed your attention span a bit, you'd have realized that the stats from that class are provided to the right of the screen.

Despres was a reach.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Seriously, you folks act as if we traded Scott Stevens.

See where Despres is in 2 years.

If its anything like the Ladd trade, in 2 years, Despres will have won a Cup in Anaheim and be well on his way to the captainship of another team.

Meanwhile, JR will give Lovejoy a raise on his current contract, despite not actually getting much better, mostly because he's physical. You'll be stuck with that contract until it becomes an albatross, and in the final years, you'll finally be able to move it because you retained a large chunk of salary.

No, we traded a #4/5 defenseman with #2/3 upside for a #5 who has been outplayed by Taylor ****ing Chorney.

To date, Taylor ****ing Chorney's worst game here has been better then Despres' best game here.

Not sure what the fuss is about...I watched quite a bit of Penguins games this year and last year and Simon Despres seemed to look lost out there on most nights...fidgetting with the puck and saucing pizzas out there...

Pens shoulda got better retunr on him based on upside though. Seeing how they pretty much gave Ben Lovejoy away for free to the Ducks

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
This is a GM who consistently had the worse, boring, and softest rosters year-by-year with the Hurricanes. Had a washed up plug in Chad LaRose (who currently can't get an NHL contract) playing on the top-six because of his crappy depth. Traded a young power-forward that showed promised in Andrew Ladd for an older and less durable version of him (Tuomo Ruutu). For a smaller market team; he has signed players to ridiculous overpayments.

Will give him some credit with a few low risk and high reward free agent signings. Besides that, he's been ****. One area that the organization and fanbase wanted was more toughness and speed. Didn't address those needs at all. If anything, they got softer and slower. They're only tougher in the sense that more players are willing to drive the net and put their body on line. Can't be expected to do it as effectively with the lack of size up front. And, they are still soft mentally and physically.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Not sure what the fuss is about...I watched quite a bit of Penguins games this year and last year and Simon Despres seemed to look lost out there on most nights...fidgetting with the puck and saucing pizzas out there...

Pens shoulda got better retunr on him based on upside though. Seeing how they pretty much gave Ben Lovejoy away for free to the Ducks

In situations like this, when someone says something that goes against the majority opinion, I have no trouble letting advanced metrics break the tie.

Despres wasn't a lost pizza delivery guy working in the Swiss alps for elephants or whatever. Anyone who thinks that should reevaluate how they watch and process hockey.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Thought they brought him in as a stop gap anyway?

Not much point including his recent media exchange. What relevance does that have?

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
Inside of Yinzerville, I'm sure. But not outside of Yinzerville. The reviews on Scuds have been as I've described, solid.

Source?

Not as long as Paul Martin is getting a shift. It's not even close. He was standing NEXT to Hayes for cripes sake and did nothing but watch Hayes score his first playoff goal. Had that been in the other zone, any Blueshirt D would have at least skated him out of there if not outright wrecked him. Not Paul Martin, tho. Al he does is watch TV.

Just to be clear, you believe that Paul Martin is our worst defenseman? That kind of contradicts your earlier theory about how Despres isn't good because the coaches didn't give him enough ice-time, no?

Of course you're not sure. Despres is near the bottom of his class which, had you taxed your attention span a bit, you'd have realized that the stats from that class are provided to the right of the screen.

Despres was a reach.

You're digging yourself a pretty big hole to climb out of with this one. How can Despres be considered a reach when he is easily the best defenseman to be drafted from where the Pens picked and the next 30 spots? Hell, he's clearly better than the four defenseman drafted before him for that matter. And if you want to go by analyst rankings, Despres was projected to go in the middle of the draft. So in what world was Despres a reach, or anything less than a pretty good pick?

I agree some people are overrating the kid, but you're acting like he sucks and was a bust. That isn't close to being accurate. And Lovejoy is not Gary Roberts in any way, shape, or form.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
[mod]

If we had gotten a somewhat decent return for Despres, it would have been acceptable. But the move was marketed to the fans by the Pens as us trading a #5 for a #4, and that the move would hurt us down the road but be good now. Instead we moved a #4 for a #5, moving a guy that will be an RFA for three more season for an inferior player with one year left on his deal. If nothing else, it was horrendous asset management.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aceonfire*

Perron for Klink and the 16th overall is looking pretty bad in hindsight.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA

NHL Tonight. The Rangers' announcers. And, most importantly, watching the games.

What's yours?

Just to be clear, you believe that Paul Martin is our worst defenseman? That kind of contradicts your earlier theory about how Despres isn't good because the coaches didn't give him enough ice-time, no?

I never stated that Despres was not given enough ice time. Frankly, he was give too much.

You're digging yourself a pretty big hole to climb out of with this one. How can Despres be considered a reach when he is easily the best defenseman to be drafted from where the Pens picked and the next 30 spots? Hell, he's clearly better than the four defenseman drafted before him for that matter. And if you want to go by analyst rankings, Despres was projected to go in the middle of the draft. So in what world was Despres a reach, or anything less than a pretty good pick?

They didn't need to pick Despres @ 30th.

I hope that you don't belong to any debate clubs.

I agree some people are overrating the kid, but you're acting like he sucks and was a bust. That isn't close to being accurate. And Lovejoy is not Gary Roberts in any way, shape, or form.

Gary Roberts was not very effective when he was with the Pens. IN fact, he was often a liability.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Perron for Klink and the 16th overall is looking pretty bad in hindsight.

Johnston is doing to Perron what Bylsma did to Iginla. For some reason, Pittsburgh coaches cannot let wingers play on their respective sides.

Neal's first season in Pittsburgh was a lot like Perron's. With the familiarity, and a training camp, I think Perron is poised to break out next year. We've seen him play some unbelievable hockey here this years - hockey I haven't seen from a Pittsburgh winger since Hossa was in Pittsburgh. Perron was everywhere.

I'd do that deal again. For what Perron can be, we'd be lucky for the 16th pick to even turn into David Perron. Then factor in we don't have to wait for Perron to develop.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Hmmm, I thought Rob Rossi didn't cover Pens anymore (moved on/fired/etc)?

What happened or was I just dreaming?

Always thought he was one of the worst NHL journalists. Bogus rumors/reports and stupid tweets etc.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Johnston is doing to Perron what Bylsma did to Iginla. For some reason, Pittsburgh coaches cannot let wingers play on their respective sides.

Neal's first season in Pittsburgh was a lot like Perron's. With the familiarity, and a training camp, I think Perron is poised to break out next year. We've seen him play some unbelievable hockey here this years - hockey I haven't seen from a Pittsburgh winger since Hossa was in Pittsburgh. Perron was everywhere.

I'd do that deal again. For what Perron can be, we'd be lucky for the 16th pick to even turn into David Perron. Then factor in we don't have to wait for Perron to develop.

'The rap on Perron's NHL career has been that, when most needed, he's disappeared. It;s why St. Louis let him go for an AHLer and a second round pick (who turned out to be Ivan Barbashev and who could be a real steal.) We gave up an AHLer and a 1st round pick in a draft that could turn out to be pretty deep.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Thats what happens when your desperate for wingers to play with your all star centre. Even tho Crosby has proven to mesh with 3rd liners like Dupuis :shakehead

Crosby should have been getting 24-25 minutes a game in the playoffs...he should have been used on the kill.

Speaking of wingers, where was Kunitz when Hagelin waltzed out from below the goal line? With Martin and Sid playing down low, he should have been in a *contain* position at the dot...

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

No one takes Rossi seriously. This is such a non-starter.
No one will be fired no matter how much the might deserve to be. Each have 1 yr remaining on their contracts both will remain with the team for at least one more season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad