Jim Rutherford "likely out in Pittsburgh"

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiveAMpractice

Oct 19, 2014
I'm not blaming him for the injuries, I'm blaming him for icing a defense where some combination of Letang/Maatta/Martin/Ehrhoff are its best defensive players. I mean, maybe they're actually so good at moving pucks and defending against the dump and chase (plus unparalleled center depth) that it wouldn't matter, but D-Zone start eating goal-preventers are a big part of Cup winning depth and I don't see any on the Pens even when everyone's healthy.

I hate both Perron and Hornqvist as acquisitions given what the Pens needed to do to support Sid and Malkin. They don't create their own shots with such regularity that other teams need to key on them instead of their center group. Cloning Dupuis would have been a better investment.

Sid liked getting Horny but Malkin suffered from the trade. If Sid needs good wingers more than it was the right move . As we have seen over the years Malkin can only play with the odd good player. When you find someone for Malkin you keep him. Its not Rutherfords fault , its not like he knew what was going on when he came in. Teams wanted Neal and it was the one player the front office could make some good BS story about and have the Pitt fans believe.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Despres was second in hits among defensemen with 23 points.

Lovejoy had 14 points.

How wasn't that a downgrade for the Pens/upgrade for the Ducks?
Despres was most definitely an upgrade for the Ducks. He has also been one of our better dman in the playoffs and hits EVERYTHING. He has thrown some bone rattling hits and has been great on the top D pairing with Fowler.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
I hate both Perron and Hornqvist as acquisitions given what the Pens needed to do to support Sid and Malkin. They don't create their own shots with such regularity that other teams need to key on them instead of their center group. Cloning Dupuis would have been a better investment.

I wasn't happy with the Nashville trade. I believed that he could have moved Neal for a first rounder. Horqvist has played better than I believed he could but Spaling has been horrible.

Perron I was happy about for about two weeks.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Despres was most definitely an upgrade for the Ducks. He has also been one of our better dman in the playoffs and hits EVERYTHING. He has thrown some bone rattling hits and has been great on the top D pairing with Fowler.

Aren't Beachimin (sp) and Lindholm your top pairing?

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
What makes Lovejoy better? Are you just trying to justify the horrible trade made by your G<M?

Also, where do cups come into this? Neither has one and I didn't mention them.

The trade is what it is...a plug for just above a plug...

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
I wasn't happy with the Nashville trade. I believed that he could have moved Neal for a first rounder. Horqvist has played better than I believed he could but Spaling has been horrible.

Perron I was happy about for about two weeks.

Trading Neal for a first round pick is pretty awful unless it's a top 3 pick or something. Hornqvist's value given his great contract is worth significantly more than a middling first round pick would have been.

Perron was a fine acquisition by JR. It's pretty clear that he's battling some kind of injury at the moment, similar to Malkin. If he doesn't turn it around next season there will be cause for concern, but it's too early to be having buyers remorse. If Perron can get back to the level he's played at over his career sans this season he's going to be an excellent contributor in Pittsburgh for years to come.

On the other hand, the Despres trade is obviously bad and they made a huge overpayment for Winnik. I'm not against trading high picks for rentals in specific situations, for example I liked the Hossa / Iginla trades a lot when they happened. But guys like Winnik, Brenden Morrow, Douglas Murray, etc. are simply not worth the inflated price they demand at the trade deadline and GMs who fall into that trap are hurting their teams in the long run for a miniscule short term gain. It's nonsensical unless you know your job is on the line and you need to win that season. In Rutherford's case, I guess he knows his time in Pittsburgh is limited so he's not worried about what happens a couple of years down the line. That makes it more selfish than stupid, but considering he paid a pretty similar price to get Winnik as the Panthers did to get Jagr, it's not exactly the greatest utilization of assets.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Trading Neal for a first round pick is pretty awful unless it's a top 3 pick or something. Hornqvist's value given his great contract is worth significantly more than a middling first round pick would have been.

This year's draft is pretty deep. The late 96/97 birth years are stacked with prospects. If we draft correctly in the 2nd round we could get a real player. BTW, that was my impression at the time. I've been very happy with Hornqvist whom, I believe, has a greater dimension to his game than Neal does. One of them is getting along with his teammates.

Perron was a fine acquisition by JR. It's pretty clear that he's battling some kind of injury at the moment, similar to Malkin. If he doesn't turn it around next season there will be cause for concern,

If only because his contract is up and we punted a first rounder. Anyway, it's not really remorse but a sadness as I realize that the rap he's faced, which goes back to his Q days, may be true and that is that when the going gets tough, he disappears.

On the other hand, the Despres trade is obviously bad

A lot of people felt the same way when Shero traded Noah Welsh for Gary Roberts.

and they made a huge overpayment for Winnik.

MONSTROUSLY huge.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The trade is what it is...a plug for just above a plug...

Yea you're saying this because you were proved wrong and its extremely obvious Pittsburgh lost the trade. Lovejoy is a plug, Despres is not.

Nah man, GMGM is completely clueless. They should've waited a bit, then hire Chiarelli.

Thats unrealistic tho, nobody really foresaw the Bruins stumbling out of contention. Well maybe some Bruins fans.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Yea you're saying this because you were proved wrong and its extremely obvious Pittsburgh lost the trade. Lovejoy is a plug, Despres is not.

Please stop...Despres has done NOTHING. He couldn't beat out perennial playoff pylon Paul Martin or any of Despres' subsequent co-First Rounders for ice time one of whom who HAD beat Martin out for ice time.

Do you really think that there was some vast conspiracy, first by Bylsma then by Johnston (who knows more than Byslma about what a 1st round Defensive prospect looks like *cough*SethJones*cough*) to keep this kid down?

I'm not a fan of disparaging players but, for the 5th time, Despres was given AMPLE time in Pittsburgh to show what, if anything, he has. The result of that time is why he is no longer in Pittsburgh.

I shudder to think how many turnovers Despres would have had against the NYR's smothering forecheck.

Last edited:

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
Please stop...Despres has done NOTHING. He couldn't beat out perennial playoff pylon Paul Martin or any of Despres' subsequent co-First Rounders for ice time.

Do you really think that there was some vast conspiracy, first by Bylsma then by Johnston (who knows more than Byslma about what a 1st round Defensive prospect looks like *cough*SethJones*cough*) to keep this kid down?

I'm not a fan of disparaging players but, for the 5th time, Despres was given AMPLE time in Pittsburgh to show what, if anything, he has. The result of that time is why he is no longer in Pittsburgh.

I shudder to think how many turnovers Despres would have had against the NYR's smothering forecheck.

This. I've long considered him to be overrated around here.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
This. I've long considered him to be overrated around here.

It's a 'burgh thing...the guy not playing is always better than the guy who is...I remember back in the late 1990s when people were clamoring for Andrew Ference to be called up to take his rightful place as #1 defenseman.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Wasn't he there for only one season? How much can anyone get done in that time?

He has made three notable moves since he was hired I suppose:

1) Traded James Neal for Hornqvist + Spalling.

This trade is meh. He got someone for Crosby, but lost someone for Malkin

2) Traded Lovejoy for Despres.

He lost this trade and it makes no sense

3) Extended MAF.

Poorly timed extension to give out. Could turn out bad for the Pens in the years to come.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY

1) Traded James Neal for Hornqvist + Spalling.

This trade is meh. He got someone for Crosby, but lost someone for Malkin

2) Traded Lovejoy for Despres.

He lost this trade and it makes no sense

3) Extended MAF.

Poorly timed extension to give out. Could turn out bad for the Pens in the years to come.

Hornqvist > Neal
The lovejoy deal was bad but not as bad as people make it
MAF has been playing the best hockey of his career thepast 2 years so how in the world was it bad?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Extending Fleury when he did for that price and term looks like a genius move right now, to be honest.

Lovejoy for Despres is exactly as bad as it appears on the surface, if not worse. Despres is a better defender than Lovejoy is today...and is far more useful in the other zones.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Hornqvist > Neal
The lovejoy deal was bad but not as bad as people make it
MAF has been playing the best hockey of his career thepast 2 years so how in the world was it bad?

Depends. As stated Neal and Malkin had some unreal chemistry that worked out well for the both of them, but it left Crosby without a winger. Hornqvist does the opposite. It gives Crosby a winger, but leaves Malkin high and dry.

The Lovejoy deal was your typical JR move. He trades a young, promising player for a similar player that's further down the development line. He did the same thing in Carolina when he traded Ladd for Ruutu. Go ahead and look how that turned out.

MAF's extension looked bad initially, because the monkey on his back was always his playoff performance. This year, he's done a good job of...well, actually playing like an NHL goaltender in the playoffs, so the deal isn't the absolute killer it appeared to be initially.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Fleury also had the best regular season of his career. Who could have ever imagined having an actual full-time goaltending coach would help him?

Infuriates me it took that long for the Pens to hire one.

JR has been a mixed bag for the Pens so far. In a vaccuum he certainly hasn't done poorly enough to get fired after one year...but there's still a large part of me that wants him out if only because I find this GM by committee thing completely absurd and counterproductive. Rutherford has to have less actual power than any GM in the league. The Lovejoy trade was pushed for by the three-headed assistant GM...but Rutherford doesn't get a pass since he was the one who actually had to propose that stupid trade.

Hörnqvist is a better fit than Neal...but leaving Geno without any wingers meant it wasn't a big step forward. Hörnqvist has played better in this series than Neal ever did for us in the playoffs, though. Spaling is the most vanilla hockey player I've ever seen.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA

3) Extended MAF.

Extending MAF was a work in progress when JR assumed the GM position. It may not have been in the media but the framework for the deal was essentially agreed to.

Frankly, I'm happy with that signing. We are 2-3 years away from having a goalie who is capable of replacing him and no one is going to trade an elite goaltender at a price better than for what $ MAF was signed.

You left off the Ehrhoff signing which, had their been cap room, probably would have been multi-year. Would not surprise me if it turns out to be IF Ehrhoff returns to health before the Cup is raised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad