Jim Rutherford "likely out in Pittsburgh"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Erat also performed well in the past. Look at where he is now.

Despres had several opportunities to show what he has none more so than this season. It's always added up to 0.

What defensive depth there was in the 2009 draft was pretty well gone by the time that the Pens picked. So, I always believed that picking him was a stretch; he really wasn't that great of a player in the Q - despite being taken first or second overall in that Q draft. The cockamamie CHL/NHL rules that kept him out of WB for a season after he was drafted didn't help either.

Forsberg was drafted 3 drafts ago and had performed.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
They certainly haven't made questionable moves.

One of the Penguins biggest issues has been finding wingers to unlock the true potential of Crosby/Malkin. They had that in Neal and moved him for lesser assets. Not addressing + weakening this area is inexcusable.

Their bottom-6 is still pretty useless. If that's the look they're going to go with for their 3rd/4th line, they should just make it Sutter + minimum pay scrubs/rentals, and load up the top lines (kovalchuk?).

Despres for Lovejoy. This is a desperation move looking for a (maybe) marginal upgrade for this season with only long-term downside.

And, although not Rutherford's fault, an issue with the current team is the amount of high picks they've moved for pure rentals without any long-term additions, only a short-term mentality.

No questionable moves? I have a lot of questions about their moves.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Everyday? No.

Not unusual? Yes.

Dejan Kovacevic: "I'll say one thing about this and nothing more: Yes, I saw and heard it. Things like this happen all the time in this business. It's not at all unusual." (Source - see comments)
That Kovacevic dude is a hack as well.

Anyway, I hope old man Rutherford stays in Pittsburgh. With him at the helm the Penguins won't be anything special.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
One of the Penguins biggest issues has been finding wingers to unlock the true potential of Crosby/Malkin. They had that in Neal and moved him for lesser assets. Not addressing + weakening this area is inexcusable.

Their bottom-6 is still pretty useless. If that's the look they're going to go with for their 3rd/4th line, they should just make it Sutter + minimum pay scrubs/rentals, and load up the top lines (kovalchuk?).

Despres for Lovejoy. This is a desperation move looking for a (maybe) marginal upgrade for this season with only long-term downside.

And, although not Rutherford's fault, an issue with the current team is the amount of high picks they've moved for pure rentals without any long-term additions, only a short-term mentality.

No questionable moves? I have a lot of questions about their moves.

I was being sarcastic. Thanks for the insight though. :nod:

Anyway, I hope old man Rutherford stays in Pittsburgh. With him at the helm the Penguins won't be anything special.

Unfortunately, you are probably right.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I was being sarcastic. Thanks for the insight though. :nod:

Unfortunately, you are probably right.
The worst news for any non-Pens metro fan would be if the Pens hired a progressive GM who focused on finding cheap/young wingers with upside to plug with Crosby and Malkin.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I have no problem with the Despres trade, including what I have seen of his play in the Ducks/Jets series. What they thought they were getting when they drafted him - Marc Staal with an outrageous French accent - they didn't.

I believe that Shero made several bad trades his last two years but JR topped him pretty quickly with the Perron and Winnick trades. He basically punted this year's draft.

It was an absolutely embarrassing and ridiculous trade. Lovejoy ****ing sucks and Despres hasn't even come close to reaching his ceiling.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The worst news for any non-Pens metro fan would be if the Pens hired a progressive GM who focused on finding cheap/young wingers with upside to plug with Crosby and Malkin.

You don't need to worry. The organization prefers hiring in-house talent and yes-men.

Last edited:

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
It was an absolutely embarrassing and ridiculous trade. Lovejoy ****ing sucks and Despres hasn't even come close to reaching his ceiling.

It's pretty hard to hit the ceiling when you can't got off of the floor.

I'm curious as to what you see in Despres game? His inability to win battles? His constant turnovers? His inability to make a quick, let alone, accurate pass out of the zone? His constant fumbles at the blue-line?

Exactly what do you see that makes you believe he has upside potential?

Last edited:

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Penguins coach Mike Johnston said his players had “textbook†defensive coverage as the game-ending sequence unfolded, which likely compounded their distress over losing.

He's obviously *reading* the wrong book...

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
And the trades he made this season in Pittsburg doesn't seem to work either.

Neal for Hornqvist + Spaling and Cole for Bortuzzo + a 7th have worked out pretty well. Perron should be better than has has been. The only trade that really hurt them, IMO, was Despres for Lovejoy. I still don't get that one...

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Penguins coach Mike Johnston said his players had “textbook†defensive coverage as the game-ending sequence unfolded, which likely compounded their distress over losing.

He's obviously *reading* the wrong book...

"Textbook" defensive coverage = your goalie bailing you out every time you blow coverage

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Neal for Hornqvist + Spaling and Cole for Bortuzzo + a 7th have worked out pretty well. Perron should be better than has has been. The only trade that really hurt them, IMO, was Despres for Lovejoy. I still don't get that one...

The argument can be made that Lovejoy was not much of an upgrade. The argument cannot be made that it wasn't an upgrade.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
If he goes, he's done.

With that line up and his history, shouldn't his roller-coaster career, meas the team is going up next year.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
It's time for the Pens to stop that win now mentality, need someone young who can find some solid young players and draft well, Crosby and Malkin are still 27-28, we still have time, but we need fresh young blood!

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Rutherford should have never gotten that job in the first place but Pittsburgh's still playing a good series even outplaying New York at times.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
It's pretty hard to hit the ceiling when you can't got off of the floor.

I'm curious as to what you see in Despres game? His inability to win battles? His constant turnovers? His inability to make a quick, let alone, accurate pass out of the zone? His constant fumbles at the blue-line?

Exactly what do you see that makes you believe he has upside potential?

The argument can be made that Lovejoy was not much of an upgrade. The argument cannot be made that it wasn't an upgrade.

Is this a joke?

Despres is a 6'4, 220 pound defenseman who skates better than any defender on the team outside of Letang. He was one of the guys that did have a good breakout pass. He was one of the few guys that could skate the puck out of the zone and carry it.

Don't get me wrong, that's not to say that his game was without flaws. When he was first drafted, his biggest knock was the lack of a physical game; well, we can see the mean streak that he developed. He was probably the Pens' most physical defenseman this season. His biggest flaw this season was definitely his decision making with the puck. But you know, that's be be expected. He's what, 23 years old? And it takes far longer for a defenseman to come into their own than an offenseman, since it's so much more of a cerebral game.

He's a young defenseman with good instincts, gifted with the raw physical tools that only a handful of players in the NHL have. He was never given a fair shake by Pens management, and Lovejoy has shown to be inferior in just about every way. Lovejoy is slower, less physical, loses most board battles(like the one last night to 5'6 Marty St. Louis that led to the OT goal), and their defensive positioning is probably on par. There are only two things that I can realistically give Lovejoy over Despres. First, he's more consistent. Despres definitely had his share of bad games this season, but that's because he's a 22 year old defenseman, still developing. It's bound to happen, and his good games far outshone anything that Lovejoy has done. Second, is the decision making that Lovejoy has with the puck. But even then, it's a very, very marginal gap, if there is one. A pointless icing last night by Lovejoy contributed to the game winning goal last night.

If that's Despres on St. Louis last night, he's not coming out from behind the net like that. He's getting planted. If it's Despres on Hayes instead of Martin, Hayes would be getting hit.

I first thought Lovejoy may have been an upgrade for this season, at least. I was wrong.

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA
Ron Burkle, Mario Lemieux, and David Morehouse are completely inept. I have no faith whatsoever that they will even recognize the problem, let alone come up with a solution. I'll predict right now that the Penguins miss the playoffs next year. The entire organization is a laughing stock.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Is this a joke?

No.

Despres is a 6'4, 220 pound defenseman who skates better than any defender on the team outside of Letang.

You obviously were not watching Despres. He is not a better skater than Ollie Maata. He's not a better skater than either Derrick Pouliot or Taylor Chorney are now.

He was one of the guys that did have a good breakout pass. He was one of the few guys that could skate the puck out of the zone and carry it.

Despres is a turnover machine. It's why he fell out of favor with Byslma and then Johnston.

He was probably the Pens' most physical defenseman this season.

In a roomful of kittens the puppy is king.

His biggest flaw this season was definitely his decision making with the puck. But you know, that's be be expected.

For a first round pick? That's MY point. He was a stretch. Brian Dumoulin has done a better job, to date, than Despres ever did.

If that's Despres on St. Louis last night, he's not coming out from behind the net like that. He's getting planted. If it's Despres on Hayes instead of Martin, Hayes would be getting hit.

Simon Despres, right?

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Ron Burkle, Mario Lemieux, and David Morehouse are completely inept. I have no faith whatsoever that they will even recognize the problem, let alone come up with a solution. I'll predict right now that the Penguins miss the playoffs next year. The entire organization is a laughing stock.

Burkle and Mario aren't running the day to day. You raise a great point about Moorehouse who has, thus far, flown under the radar. I'm not sure he is going to survive this season, tho.

The organization, as a whole, is actually very well run as is evidenced by the value of the franchise.

Management of the team is another story.

They need to dump JR and MJ. The JR hiring was moronic. He must have done some snow job on Moorehouse. The MJ hiring, in theory, may have been good given his long proven ability to develop young defensemen but it's proven to be a bad hiring in practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad