Management Jim Montgomery

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I blame the players.

They play the games.

Game 5 in particular. They stunk up the place.
Yup. This team is, and has been built well. Two elite goalies, an elite defenseman and a terrific supporting cast, elite forward with a lot of “over achievers” especially this year.

You can credit Monty or players like Coyle/Zacha/Heinen for playing above their grade, or Don for finding and getting them. Closing out a series has been an issue for over a decade and in the end that’s up to the players. Time to put it to bed.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yup. This team is, and has been built well. Two elite goalies, an elite defenseman and a terrific supporting cast, elite forward with a lot of “over achievers” especially this year.

You can credit Monty or players like Coyle/Zacha/Heinen for playing above their grade, or Don for finding and getting them. Closing out a series has been an issue for over a decade and in the end that’s up to the players. Time to put it to bed.

I wouldn’t describe a team that has 1/8th of their cap as a healthy scratch in the playoffs as well built. But to each their own.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
The best thing Montgomery can say pre game is to go up to Marchand and say "its your room. I'm not coming in to say anything."

The players know what is at stake, or they should. Just put out the lineup that got you to 3-1 and let the players either win or or blow it.

We already know it will be a different team next season.

@DominicT but will it be THAT different?

By my count....18ish guys back? 19? So different. But not drastically.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Yeah I'm not arguing there is responsibility on the players to take blame for not executing.

But the coach is there for a reason. Your argument, made by many others, is dishonest IMO because it essentially relies on the premise of discounting the role of a coach altogether. Among other things, a coach is responsible for putting his team in the best position to win. Given the roster decisions for game 5, he failed at that part of his job. In that game.

We can reminisce all we want about the past and how the Bruins are perpetual "chokers" (also a shortsighted viewpoint IMO for what it's worth), but we are talking about the game and the series NOW and we are talking about the decisions that are on the coach to make. Montgomery didn't do what he needed to do. He is and should take heat for it. And that's not a reason to take blame off the players. This isn't a binary thing.

Reactions: Tommy Tubs and BMC

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yeah I'm not arguing there is responsibility on the players to take blame for not executing.

But the coach is there for a reason. Your argument, made by many others, is dishonest IMO because it essentially relies on the premise of discounting the role of a coach altogether. Among other things, a coach is responsible for putting his team in the best position to win. Given the roster decisions for game 5, he failed at that part of his job. In that game.

We can reminisce all we want about the past and how the Bruins are perpetual "chokers" (also a shortsighted viewpoint IMO for what it's worth), but we are talking about the game and the series NOW and we are talking about the decisions that are on the coach to make. Montgomery didn't do what he needed to do. He is and should take heat for it. And that's not a reason to take blame off the players. This isn't a binary thing.

No one is discounting the role of the coach though.

But when the same issue continues to happen under every coach and then Cassidy goes and wins a cup. You have to start thinking it’s not a coaching issue.

At some point when there’s a revolving door in a lot of areas of the organization and the issues continue. You have to start looking at the parts of the organizations that haven’t changed as things that need to change.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I think everyone is getting caught up in the fervor of the playoffs. Most people did not expect the results the Bruins got this year and were not expecting a contender and saw this more of a transitional year, which also happened - more young players played and showed off their potential, the center group surprised and held their own, and as a result, the Bruins were the toughest out in the league. We all want them to win but I think if we were all being honest with ourselves to start the year, going all the way to the SCF was going to need a lot going right.

I can't see them losing this series but if they do, I wouldn't expect people to get fired but be put on the hot seat.
No ! I don't want " hot seat " that will just be a distraction, fire is the only way to go for these self inflicted moves.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

The players like last year, had played well enough to win this series, but someone did not let them accomplish that, and that someone is the coach..............must be held accountable.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
@DominicT but will it be THAT different?

By my count....18ish guys back? 19? So different. But not drastically.
Doesn't matter how many are back, what matters is who comes in and where that slots everyone else.

Mason Lohrei full time is knocking someone off the team that started this season in a top 4 role.

So, yeah it will be different.

MillerTime29Bombs

Feb 12, 2023
Woburn
I took a cooking class and the teacher said you can give everyone the same ingredients but get different results

My sister who actually is a very good cook would be taught by mother and complain it didn’t taste the same

It wasn’t until the Episode of Everybody Loves Raymond it occurred to us maybe like Raymond’s mother she was leaving out ingredients to her famous meatballs to his wife

Sweeney is providing the players and Monty is messing up to me

But Sweeney hired Monty

Otherwise everything has been good

Monty admitted he alone made lineup changes last season game 5 and didn’t even consult his assistant coaches

If you want to have Sweeney fired I think it’s wasted energy

If Sunday they aren’t playing I believe Monty gone

Ullmark will be traded (doesn’t LAK make sense ? For Bruins fan Alex Lsferriere works for me)

And a few guys gone

But Sweeney needs to miss multiple playoffs

Yup

He’s over there all the time

He’s as into it as much as us

he’s obsessed
Excellent I always wondered!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I don’t either. Maybe so on the banged up bit. If not, I’m disappointed in Montgomery.

My issue is/was that were up 3-1 in series. We were out scoring Toronto 14-7. Toronto was likely (turned out was) missing their 69 GS. Toronto massively struggles with strong forecheck below the goal line.

My game plan would have been more of the same — what was working. Puck possession, up tempo, aggressive forecheck. Keep it out of our zone and put them away.

Gryz is not suited to that game and he’d already been sat. Presumably because he struggled with heavy pressure hitting from Toronto in G1 and 2. Plus putting Gryz in screwed all the RD/LD assignments and it sure looked it. We were horrible in our own end for much of the game. And Gryz was not used a bottom pair - he played top 4 minutes despite us spending unhealthy amount of the first half of the game pinned in our zone. Without Swayman that would have been an ugly score. And Toronto didn't even look very good!!!

Meanwhile, Brazzeau has nice hands and does score. But he’s got only a small number of games not in the ECHL and he’s been hurt to boot. He has zero NHL PO experience — not a good time for on the job training based (presumably) on a hunch. He’s also not fleet of foot. If getting offense is not our biggest need (again 14-7 in our favor going in to last night) why throw him in then???

Meanwhile Beecher is still (even after G3) over 50% in FO% and along with Boquist been one of the speedier and physical players putting on a good forecheck and keeping Leafs where they are weak.

To me the changes made zero sense and felt like Montgomery’s seeming need to change things all the time. (I’ve never seen a coach change lines in games as much as we do — maybe why we were one of three teams with double digit TMI calls this year). To me it seemed change for sake of change.

It certainly wasn’t only problem and doesn’t explain why it took 1.5 periods to wake up, but a coaches job is to put us in best position to win. IMO, for the reasons above, Montgomery did not do that and I dont know why.

If it was a one time thing, okay. Live and learn. But since he did almost the exact same thing in a simply inexcusable fold in R1 last year i find it maddening.

I have several issues with the way Montgomery coaches.

One of them is the OCD line changes from week to week, game to game, shift to shift.

This breeds constant instability and, ultimately, chaos.

As with so much here, the practice is unnecessary, counterproductive, and self-created.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The best thing Montgomery can say pre game is to go up to Marchand and say "its your room. I'm not coming in to say anything."

The players know what is at stake, or they should. Just put out the lineup that got you to 3-1 and let the players either win or or blow it.

We already know it will be a different team next season.
agreed and I thought I saw on a Behind the B`s he`s done this before, I think it was during a game though not prior?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
So Sweeney is potentially about to be on his 4th coach in 10 years?

At what point does the organization stop pointing fingers at the coaches and start pointing fingers at the people constructing the roster and hiring these coaches?

Or has the bruins fraternity run so deep they cant fire one of their brothers?

How long can we have the exact same issues under every coach before someone else gets held responsible?

I understand that it's tiresome and cynical, but as long as the seats are full, nothing will change until Jacobs père
departs the scene.

The only time -- the only time -- anything has changed under his ownership was 2005-2006, when Bruins fans finally voted with their feet and the bottom line was threatened.

That is unlikely to happen again any time soon. Which means, more of the same.

So Sweeney is potentially about to be on his 4th coach in 10 years?

At what point does the organization stop pointing fingers at the coaches and start pointing fingers at the people constructing the roster and hiring these coaches?

Or has the bruins fraternity run so deep they cant fire one of their brothers?

How long can we have the exact same issues under every coach before someone else gets held responsible?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Question does Jr Jacob’s reside in Mass? Does he go to every home game and also go to work daily at TD? Curios is this his full time gig or just something he does as a side job for his dad?

He may have other responsibilities but I believe the Bruins are his main focus. My understanding is that he's at the Garden regularly, whether or not he lives in MA.

I like Charlie. He went to BC and he knows what many think of his father. Nor can he be unaware of repeated playoff power outages.

If you think the Jacobs family is going to sell the team and its ancillary assets, think again.

Eventually, I hope Charlie's the one in charge.

Reactions: Lady Rhian and BMC

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Doesn't matter how many are back, what matters is who comes in and where that slots everyone else.

Mason Lohrei full time is knocking someone off the team that started this season in a top 4 role.

So, yeah it will be different.

Isn't Mason already kind of doing that now?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
danny boy nailed it. certainly there's blame to be sprinkled all over the management group, but coach looks like a
deer in headlights. wouldn't be shocked at all to see him in st. louis within a month.

Setting aside what will actually happen -- nothing, where it concerns Sweeney and Neely -- there are two basic issues.

One, however impressive the regular season records and his abilities as a General Manager, the rosters Sweeney has constructed have repeatedly, ignominiously failed to advance in the playoffs. I don't see how you can argue otherwise.

Two, Montgomery is a very good regular season coach. As Carl Corazzini noted, the 2023-24 Boston Bruins were not a 109 point team, but Montgomery deserves credit for helping them get there.

Yet as noted previously, there is an air of instability and uncertainty about the club. Overthinking, indecision and, though perhaps unfair, lack of conviction and confidence.

This has created needless drama and the suspicion among some that when the pressure is on, the coach does not know what he is doing.

I am not talking about X's and O's.

I'm talking about someone who makes baffling moves in the playoffs, refuses to explain why he makes them, and while saying the right things about accountability, ultimately does not appear to accept much of his own.

I don't like it.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
You forgot to mention the tin foil wrapped around those rabbit ears, and just when you get a good picture you have to get off your ass and move them again...........how was that for I had to walk in the snow to school story YES! DAMMIT I AM OLD.

Hey, man.

I bet neither of you had the bright idea of cooling down an overheated black & white by pouring water into the back vent.

Bessie did not explode and I was not electrocuted.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Isn't Mason already kind of doing that now?
Well yeah. But I said he will be on the team full time.

You think if Forbort and Peeke were healthy all along Lohrei would be playing right now? I certainly don't.

Lohrei will be pushing players down or out. Beecher is going to do the same. Poitras will push players down. Don't be surprised if Kuntar does as well. Not to mention anyone they bring in.

The team will be different next season. It was always going to be. We don't even know what the goalie situation will be

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
agreed and I thought I saw on a Behind the B`s he`s done this before, I think it was during a game though not prior?
If you ever watched the UMaine doc where Monty was the captain (and Kariya was the star), Monty’s coach gave him the room before the national championship game. Perhaps that was what Dom was alluding to…

Reactions: ODAAT

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
2 mins 30 seconds down a goal he has Beecher- Freddy- Geekie out there. They should fire him after this game.

That was Geekies worst playoff game
Who else should have been out there? Serious question.

Would you put Marchand and Pastrnak out there for the remaining 5 minutes or what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad