Management Jim Montgomery

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Jim Montgomery, the former University of Maine captain and Dallas Stars coach who spent the last two years as a St. Louis Blues assistant, will be named head coach of the Bruins in the coming days, a source with direct knowledge of the process told the Globe on Thursday.

That came amid multiple reports of Montgomery’s impending hire, including one from from ESPN’s Kevin Weekes, who said the deal being discussed for Montgomery will be for three years at $2 million per year.

Yes. I will take it, and see what unfolds.

At the very least, this is not a low risk, meh, mediocre selection. It's fairly bold.

Also, it may not work out.

I give Sweeney (and, I guess) Neely credit.

We shall see!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Pleasantly surprised. He was my dark horse. I didn't want to get my hopes up. Very good hire. Excited to see what he does with the team. I hope he reaches out to Savvy.

Marc doesn't want to upset his gig in Windsor. Only a head coaching job would entice. Good for him, and I hope, when ready, he gets his chance.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Players did seem to like him.

When he was fired Seguin said: I was looking forward to him being my last coach in Dallas."
Benn also said "this one was a little tougher, I had a great relationship with him. I loved playing for Monty."
Joey Mac: Former Bruin and current NHL player on Montgomery: “Jim Montgomery is great coach and even better person. The guys will love playing for him and he will make this team a contender.”

Can the Athletic hire Joe McDonald?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
His Dallas club in 2019 had St Louis on thr ropes but......

1656637335485.png

Reactions: Mathews28

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Feel the same way. Hope he gets the respect He deserves from the fans and from the media.

I believe he will. New Englanders are funny that way.

Quinn would very much have a "show me" short leash, fans suspicious of a (to me) "meh" record.

That's not the case with Montgomery. Everyone knows, or will know shortly, about his time in Dallas. But they'll also learn about his success there, and elsewhere.

Cue the human interest features, but that's okay.

Let's see what he's got. Given where the Bruins are, I believe this is a good hire.

We shall see.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Not an easy ride at all. I think of all the available coaches, though, he has the best chance of squeezing everything possible out of what's on the roster. Not expecting a Cup with the current group, but am expecting a competitive team that is hard-nosed and fun to watch.

And not just (gag) "competitive," Sinden style (and, I fear, Sweeney style). From what little I know, they will play hard, they will finish their checks, and JM will not accept poor play.

I like it.

Months ago, I read about Montgomery's time in Dallas. It was not a good look. But, he appears to have righted the ship.

Whatever happens -- and I don't think we're in Dave Lewis territory -- I am rooting for him.

Welcome to Boston, sir.

Both are bald, duh!

Wait, what?

"He's hip.

"He's bald.

"He's Alex Auld." (TM)

I like this better than Quinn, but I'm not sure I like it. I don't even have a
guy I would have liked more.....I'm just not convinced this is THE guy.

Having said that, I obviously wish him well.

Not an expert, but do a little digging. An intriguing selection.

Give him a chance.

Last edited:

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Up until today I was 100% thinking it was Quinn which I was ok with but wasn’t thrilled. Then I saw the rumor it could be Montgomery and really started reading up on him. I was thinking this is the guy we need! Sounds like a great hire.

As someone who also had problems with the sauce and quit, I really see that as being a positive for him. He was a great coach before and should be even better now.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Not my pick but I like it. Hopefully no pictures pop up of him on the swan boats 5 years ago or people will think the Boston mafia got their insider.

Certainly looks like a hire based on a real search and real due diligence. Also good to know the crew over there are still as tight lipped as ever. When’s the last time this club was more than the sum of their parts?

Here’s to a new chapter!

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I hate that I have to support Neely and Sweeney here but I like this hire a lot. This isn't your typical retread hire. This guy has won in junior hockey, NCAA and got off to a good start in Dallas before the off ice problems. He's a very good coach and hopefully he has his act together. Now I just worry about the team the noted buffoons saddle him with :D

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
And not just (gag) "competitive," Sinden style (and, I fear, Sweeney style). From what little I know, they will play hard, they will finish their checks, and MM will not accept poor play.

I like it.

Months ago, I read about Montgomery's time in Dallas. It was not a good look. But, he appears to have righted the ship.

Whatever happens -- and I don't think we're in Dave Lewis territory -- I am rooting for him.

Welcome to Boston, sir.
Players have been willing to run through a brick wall for him wherever he has been. He seems to be good with young players and vets alike. Watched a lot of Dallas while he was there simply because I still had an interest in seeing how Seguin was playing, as well as I am a fanboy of both Radulov and Dobby. My takeaways from watching him coach were that 1) he wants his players to play physical and punishing hockey, 2) he is fine with young guys taking some chances without fear of being put immediately in the doghouse, 3) he is a very smart coach when it comes to dealing with x's and o's, 4) he dealt with some very inopportune injuries yet still had his team playing good hockey. Throw in the fact that he has by all accounts been good in St. Louis, with players really liking him.

Not expecting the miracle worker given this roster, but I am expecting him to be able to work with what he has and making it the best it can be. I am also very interested to see if some of the young guys/prospects do better under him.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
2010-11 Dubuque Fighting Saints USHL Head 60 37 14 0 9 0.692 Won Championship
2011-12 Dubuque Fighting Saints USHL Head 60 36 20 0 4 0.633
2012-13 Dubuque Fighting Saints USHL Head 64 45 11 0 8 0.766 Won Championship
2013-14 U. of Denver NCHC Head 42 20 16 6 0 0.548 NCAA Tournament
2014-15 U. of Denver NCHC Head 40 24 14 2 0 0.625 NCAA Tournament
2015-16 U. of Denver NCHC Head 40 25 9 6 0 0.700 Frozen Four
2016-17 U. of Denver NCHC Head 44 33 7 4 0 0.795 National Championship
2017-18 U. of Denver NCHC Head 41 23 10 8 0 0.659 NCAA Tournament
2018-19 Dallas Stars NHL Head 82 43 32 0 7 0.567 Lost in round 2
2019-20 Dallas Stars NHL Head† 31 17 11 0 3 0.597

He has won a lot.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Up until today I was 100% thinking it was Quinn which I was ok with but wasn’t thrilled. Then I saw the rumor it could be Montgomery and really started reading up on him. I was thinking this is the guy we need! Sounds like a great hire.

As someone who also had problems with the sauce and quit, I really see that as being a positive for him. He was a great coach before and should be even better now.

At the very least, let's wish him well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad