Management Jim Montgomery

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I get that the Canucks coach is gonna get the Jack Adams. Fine. I disagree, but fine.

But can we TALK about our coach?

To those of you who want him fired, honestly, I'd block every one of you if I could.

This guy is coaching a master class right now. With what he was handed for this season, one of the biggest rabbit out of a hat sports seasons I've seen. Let's end the series Monty. You're a gem.
I think he’s done a tremendous job this season with what he’s been given, and he’s having a great series against the Leafs. He seems to have learned a lot from last season’s loss to the Panthers. Of course, there’s still this series to close out, and I’m dying to see how he manages the Bruins in the next series, but I am very happy with Jim Montgomery this year.

Reactions: Mad-Marcus

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Steve Dangle knows how good Monty is, thinks he’s the best coach in the NHL and he might be right.

It’s tough Cassidy went to Vegas and immediately won a cup after blah losses the the isles and canes and making some gutless moves and non moves against the blues, but I still think Monty was the right coach for the bruins at the time we got him.

And he might also only get better

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don’t think he has many tough choices on Tuesday. Maybe benching Maroon if the Leafs sit Reeves. He got the D right benching Gryz and replacing Peeke when he went out. Goaltending as well Swayman has another extra day before the next game and if we do see Ullmark again it’s probably for a game that comes on 1 day rest.

If we can actually close a series for once up 3-1 Montgomery is going to remove a lot of doubts with 99.9% of our fanbase.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I get that the Canucks coach is gonna get the Jack Adams. Fine. I disagree, but fine.

But can we TALK about our coach?

To those of you who want him fired, honestly, I'd block every one of you if I could.

This guy is coaching a master class right now. With what he was handed for this season, one of the biggest rabbit out of a hat sports seasons I've seen. Let's end the series Monty. You're a gem.
What did he do with the talent last season?

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
I don’t think he has many tough choices on Tuesday. Maybe benching Maroon if the Leafs sit Reeves. He got the D right benching Gryz and replacing Peeke when he went out. Goaltending as well Swayman has another extra day before the next game and if we do see Ullmark again it’s probably for a game that comes on 1 day rest.

If we can actually close a series for once up 3-1 Montgomery is going to remove a lot of doubts with 99.9% of our fanbase.
You have more faith than I do.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
You have more faith than I do.
I don’t know what we’ll get tomorrow night I’m just relieved there’s no big decisions to be made. We’ve been so terrible in these spots for years that closing for once would change a lot of things.

A year ago vs Florida he also had to deal with a future HOF reinserting himself into the lineup when he wasn’t healthy enough to play and obviously stuck with a goalie that couldnt stop a beach ball and made some poor D moves.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
He's done more with less this year. He's allowed the development of multiple rookies. (maybe a quick trigger on returning some to the AHL, but they've always returned better)
Finally found, some stable lines, with the exception of moving the hottest winger up.
Last year was too easy to determine how good or bad of a coach he was. The goaltending issue in last years playoffs aside.(hindsight is always 20/20, to quote Dave Mustaine). Who expected the Vezina winner to not pull himself due to injury, neither did Tuukka.
With a lesser team, let's see what he does. If this series is an indicator of getting everyone engaged, he has certainly done it in this series. Having the goaltending wildfire that Sway is makes the decision easy, whether or not Linus plays Game 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: KnightofBoston

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
I don’t know what we’ll get tomorrow night I’m just relieved there’s no big decisions to be made. We’ve been so terrible in these spots for years that closing for once would change a lot of things.

A year ago vs Florida he also had to deal with a future HOF reinserting himself into the lineup when he wasn’t healthy enough to play and obviously stuck with a goalie that couldnt stop a beach ball and made some poor D moves.
The Bruins could win the Cup and it wouldn't remove doubts from 99.9% of the fan base. The Sox won the Series in 2018 and many fans think they did it despite Cora. They won two with Tito, yet some called him Fran-coma. The Dunning-Krueger effect is strong with many fan bases, including this one.

nonoffensiveusername

May 23, 2009
I'm holding out hope that his post-season decision making has improved over last year. It's tough for me to judge at this point because the laffs are less of a hockey team and more of a punchline.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I think he's done a tremendous job this season, and so far against the Leafs this series. Sitting Grizz, putting Pasta and Marchand together when needed, Lohrei with MacAvoy, going with Swayman against the possible impulse to "go with who brung ya" (the goalie rotation). Keep it going, Monty.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I was *very* worried coming into this series after his disaster last year in the playoffs. Through four games I'm feeling good. Monty read the room on Swayman and has been pushing the right buttons without panicking.

Long way to go, but he looks like a coach who learned from last year.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I was *very* worried coming into this series after his disaster last year in the playoffs. Through four games I'm feeling good. Monty read the room on Swayman and has been pushing the right buttons without panicking.

Long way to go, but he looks like a coach who learned from last year.
think Monty is like a player in the sense that, prior to last year, as a head coach, he`d only been in the playoffs once before with Dallas if not mistaken, I think he`s learned from past mistakes , done a good job

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
think Monty is like a player in the sense that, prior to last year, as a head coach, he`d only been in the playoffs once before with Dallas if not mistaken, I think he`s learned from past mistakes , done a good job
Last year the regular season was so easy that I think the combination of Florida's heaviness, Maurice's strategies, and the flu bug and Bergeron/Ullmark injuries just socked him in he mouth and he was coaching that series in a stupor.

Considering how him being in this job in the first place is consequence of him bouncing back from his past mistakes, I suppose his personal story makes him pliable to learn and develop where other coaches might be more stubborn and set in their ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad