Jim Hughson

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Impossible to read that and not imagine it in hughsons voice

It was one playoff series (Vancouver never made it) that Leighton of the Flyers made a great save, and Hughson damn near said "Great Save Luongo" but corrected himself. He's pretty much un-listenable.

JA

Jim is just as suited to be an analyst, which is where I assume he gets in trouble with some observers.

He used to be a frequent guest on HNIC's Satellite Hot Stove, and recorded many opinion pieces for Sportsnet in its early days. He was known for being able to hit the record button and then saying everything he needed to say without needing a script or a second take.

As late as 2014, he was recording some of these opinion pieces for the Hockey Night in Canada website, some of which have been posted on to YouTube as well. You can hear just how eloquent his speech is and how thoughtful his words are.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Why is he the go to guy for HNIC? He delivers little to no emotion unless its a team he favors, if the game doesn't feature a team he cares for there is zero emotion.

Most games he has a favorite and its unbearable, the narrative ruins the broadcast.

I see people rip on Bob Cole all the time but hell at least he is excited when something happens.

Romanuk gets fired up too, real excitement in his calls.

Rogers just doesn't seem to be able to make the correct call on anything.

I like Hughson. Hate Healy.

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
Never understood the hate for Hughson. Sure, he has a favourite team... but his voice and knowledge of the game, as well as his trademark calls, make him excellent to listen to

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
To me, having him, Simpson, and Healy (barf) as the big three were the first step in the tragic downfall of HNIC.

I loved Bob Cole, but I get it, he's getting up there and likely wants to slow down. There were better options out there.

Why these morons were brought it in is beyond me.

Really, Rogers chainsawing the rest of the broadcast wasn't as offensive as listening to these clowns.

Ogopogo*

Hughson is not very good, IMO. It is hard to find truly great voices like Bob Cole, Dick Irvin, Danny Gallivan and very good ones like Chris Cuthbert, Don Wittman, Bruce Buchanan.

Up and coming talent seems to be a little lacking.

Mad Brills*

Jim is just as suited to be an analyst, which is where I assume he gets in trouble with some observers.

He used to be a frequent guest on HNIC's Satellite Hot Stove, and recorded many opinion pieces for Sportsnet in its early days. He was known for being able to hit the record button and then saying everything he needed to say without needing a script or a second take.

As late as 2014, he was recording some of these opinion pieces for the Hockey Night in Canada website, some of which have been posted on to YouTube as well. You can hear just how eloquent his speech is and how thoughtful his words are.

I never knew these were made.

DyerMaker66*

It was one playoff series (Vancouver never made it) that Leighton of the Flyers made a great save, and Hughson damn near said "Great Save Luongo" but corrected himself. He's pretty much un-listenable.

:laugh: That's why I love HFBoards. Cole can't get a name or a call right to save his life and this guy's complaining that an announcer almost did something, but in the end didn't.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Why is he the go to guy for HNIC? He delivers little to no emotion unless its a team he favors, if the game doesn't feature a team he cares for there is zero emotion.

Most games he has a favorite and its unbearable, the narrative ruins the broadcast.

I see people rip on Bob Cole all the time but hell at least he is excited when something happens.

Romanuk gets fired up too, real excitement in his calls.

Rogers just doesn't seem to be able to make the correct call on anything.

Hughson is their go-to guy because he's their best play caller but a mile.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
This guy is great when the Canucks are in the playoffs. This is GOAT level commentary. You can tell how much he loves his team.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The only reason Cole is still working regularly is because there's a severe lack of talent. Cole, calling the last game of the Blues-Sharks series, called the Sharks the North Stars. The North Stars! :help:

Hughson, Cuthbert, and Romanuk are all between 55 and 60 years of age. Of the three, Hughson is the biggest Leaf shill. Romanuk calls a sound, unbiased game, but his voice grates on some. Doesn't bother me much. Cuthbert is my favorite of the group. CBC made a mistake letting him walk to TSN years ago, and with TSN losing hockey, he's found a home of sorts at NBC.

The real concern is who the next crop is going to be. If you watch any junior games the pickings are sliiiiiim. Bad and worse are the options.

Hughson a leaf shill?! In what world :laugh: it's like saying Healey and Simpson are Leaf shills too

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Hughson a leaf shill?! In what world :laugh: it's like saying Healey and Simpson are Leaf shills too

There are so many lazy people who see guys working for HNIC and just automatically assume they're Leaf fans:laugh: It's ridiculous. Hughson hosts retirement ceremonies for Canuck players.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The only reason Cole is still working regularly is because there's a severe lack of talent. Cole, calling the last game of the Blues-Sharks series, called the Sharks the North Stars. The North Stars! :help:

Hughson, Cuthbert, and Romanuk are all between 55 and 60 years of age. Of the three, Hughson is the biggest Leaf shill. Romanuk calls a sound, unbiased game, but his voice grates on some. Doesn't bother me much. Cuthbert is my favorite of the group. CBC made a mistake letting him walk to TSN years ago, and with TSN losing hockey, he's found a home of sorts at NBC.

The real concern is who the next crop is going to be. If you watch any junior games the pickings are sliiiiiim. Bad and worse are the options.

Romanuk does not call an unbiased game at all.

JA

There are so many lazy people who see guys working for HNIC and just automatically assume they're Leaf fans:laugh: It's ridiculous. Hughson hosts retirement ceremonies for Canuck players.
He was the voice of the Vancouver Canucks for a dozen years and still lives in the Vancouver area, so it's understandable.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
He's a solid PBP commentator. My only issue with him, especially in recent years is that he tends to get caught up in doing the colour/analyst commentary as well.

He's as knowledgeable as most colour commentary guys but the problem is that he has a tendency to start rambling about matchups and other analysis too much during the game.

I almost feel like his true passion lies in doing colour commentary instead of PBP.

Just my two cents.
Agree 100%. Hughson seems like a nice, fair-minded guy, and he knows his stuff well enough, etc., but it's the endless micro-analysis of the game (made yet more dry by the pairing with Craig Simpson) that I can't take.

Broadcasters should just call the game. Their job is to make the play sound exciting. Not to micro-analyze it.

Micro-analyzing is what the color-commentator can do, if he wants.

I watched one second-round game this year (can't even remember who played, so dull was the on-ice product) and it was a CBC broadcast by Hughson and Simpson. They spent the entire second period -- both of them -- talking about how few shots on goal one team had. Hughson must have mentioned it 20 times, and Simpson took the bait. I mean, can you imagine Bob Cole in the 80s/90s spending a whole period talking about shots on goal, or analyzing face-off percentages? He didn't do that because he was too busy simply making the play sound exciting.

DyerMaker66*

I watched one second-round game this year (can't even remember who played, so dull was the on-ice product) and it was a CBC broadcast by Hughson and Simpson. They spent the entire second period -- both of them -- talking about how few shots on goal one team had. Hughson must have mentioned it 20 times, and Simpson took the bait. I mean, can you imagine Bob Cole in the 80s/90s spending a whole period talking about shots on goal, or analyzing face-off percentages? He didn't do that because he was too busy simply making the play sound exciting.
No, i can imagine 30 seconds of dead air as he figures out the player whose name he just called isn't even on the ice. Add a dash of Ti-cats cheer and an "oh baby" and wash, rinse, repeat.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I've always enjoyed Hughson. Sure, he doesn't have an iconic voice like Cole who could get you all excited while he reads the phone book. But he does have an easy voice to listen to, is extremely knowledgable and I find he calls the game pretty much flawlessly. No problems with him continuing to be the main voice for HNiC for many years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad