Jim Hughson

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Cant tolerate Hughson anymore. Maybe 20 years ago he was good but now hes just SOOO Boring to listen to.

Didnt he call Blue Jays games for a couple seasons back when CBC was broadcasting Jays games?

Hughson did Jays games on tsn. Brian Williams was the CBC guy for Jays games afaik.

Which reminds me, I haven't seen Williams on TV for a really long time. Is he still with tsn?

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Absolutely insufferable when calling the Canucks, otherwise not terrible.

Hughson also hasn't had the same level of enthusiasm since 2011.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Jim Hughson is a poor man's Joe Buck. Has the same distinct lack of interest and emotion when calling a game, without nearly the cleverness the new, sassier Joe Buck has developed.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I lost respect for him during the 1st Jets 2.0 game when he made classless jokes about Atlanta fans.

What did he say?

I always chuckle when I think about how he stopped calling the game after the Flames quashed any potential comeback the Canucks had in the playoffs last year

Fast-forward to 5:25 for the final play. The video skips annoyingly skips around a bit, but you get the point.

JA

What did he say?

I always chuckle when I think about how he stopped calling the game after the Flames quashed any potential comeback the Canucks had in the playoffs last year

Fast-forward to 5:25 for the final play. The video skips annoyingly skips around a bit, but you get the point.

Jim usually allows the audio from the home crowd to be heard in the final play of a series-clinching game when the home team wins.

When Vancouver won Game 7 of the 2007 Western Conference Quarterfinals against Dallas, he stopped announcing with 10 seconds left in the game and then said nothing for an entire minute as the crowd celebrated.

3:15:

Last edited by a moderator:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He's a solid PBP commentator. My only issue with him, especially in recent years is that he tends to get caught up in doing the colour/analyst commentary as well.

He's as knowledgeable as most colour commentary guys but the problem is that he has a tendency to start rambling about matchups and other analysis too much during the game.

I almost feel like his true passion lies in doing colour commentary instead of PBP.

Just my two cents.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
he could be doing the pbp for another sport and every other word out of his mouth would still be crosby.

[MOD]

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Hughson is one of the better ones in the NHL. Not debatable.

Of course its debatable, its subjective.

To me Hughson sounds like a pubescent teenager trying to sound like a grown up, all the whole holding in the biggest crap he's ever had to take in his life.

Nails on a chalk board, boring as hell, and biased beyond belief to the Canucks.

Nobody on CBC is all that good really.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Hughson is the kinda guy that I'd be fine with as the play-by-play guy if I'm casually watching over dinner or something.

If it's a game I can get hyped about, there are a lot of better guys I can think of.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Rogers has an absolutely terrible stable of broadcasters. I don't like anyone they have except Friedman, Ron and Don.

Jim Hughson is a poor man's Joe Buck. Has the same distinct lack of interest and emotion when calling a game, without nearly the cleverness the new, sassier Joe Buck has developed.

Joe Buck is arguably a better hockey PBP man than Hughson given how little time he had to prepare.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I like Hughson, like Bob Cole, can't stand Craig Simpson. He is biased, whiny ***** who makes it known if his favorite team isn't winning. Those are usually teams that traded him when he was a player. Some bias is okay, but when he starts making up calls that should have been made or complaining about calls against his team, I wanna throw a rock at my own TV.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Rogers has an absolutely terrible stable of broadcasters. I don't like anyone they have except Friedman, Ron and Don.

Joe Buck is arguably a better hockey PBP man than Hughson given how little time he had to prepare.

Oh come off it.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
He did a Flyers game earlier this year and I loved him. We don't get to hear him much, so that may be why, but I thought he did great. I really enjoyed listening to him call it, I wish he did more.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
[MOD] his duo with Simpson is the most boring, mundane PBP team in hockey.

But in the west they seem like him for whatever reason.

I remember at one point Craig Simpson was on TV between periods and I looked at him carefuly. He talked for a whole segment. He talked. And he talked. Then I realised he didn't say one damn thing! It was nonsense. It didn't mean anything. Simpson seems like the sort of person that got by on looks for his whole life.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Hughson is awful and doesn't seem to care unless his precious Canucks are playing. Combine that with Simpson doing colour and it's terrible.

Cole, with all due respect, should have been kindly told to retire ages ago. Romanuk's energy is there but he might be even worse than Cole and Cherry when it comes to mispronouncing names.

TSN has the cream of the crop in Cuthbert and Miller, who is the best play-by-play announcer in the game. The CBC announcers are collectively bad and there's only 1, maximum 2, good local Sportsnet broadcast teams. Yay Rogers!!!

Sportsnet blame everyone for the ratings yet I doubt they did ANY scouting around the World to get great guys. All they did was bring CBC guys with them and try getting TSN guys, that's it.

I'm thinking right now, if they could get TSN guys, they should get that CFL football guy. Most of their hockey PBP guys re-signed with them but maybe that guy would be available. He has a great voice.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
The only reason Cole is still working regularly is because there's a severe lack of talent. Cole, calling the last game of the Blues-Sharks series, called the Sharks the North Stars. The North Stars! :help:

Hughson, Cuthbert, and Romanuk are all between 55 and 60 years of age. Of the three, Hughson is the biggest Leaf shill. Romanuk calls a sound, unbiased game, but his voice grates on some. Doesn't bother me much. Cuthbert is my favorite of the group. CBC made a mistake letting him walk to TSN years ago, and with TSN losing hockey, he's found a home of sorts at NBC.

The real concern is who the next crop is going to be. If you watch any junior games the pickings are sliiiiiim. Bad and worse are the options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad