Jim Benning Discussion -- Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I really wish there was some clause stipulating Benning couldn't trade with his former boss/team.

Blob Mckenzie*

Cheering for Prairie Jim to pull out his first win!

Here's to hoping he won't trade for scrubs like Keith Ballard and David Booth and have them eating up huge chunks of the salary cap while doing absolutely nothing . He wouldn't be THAT stupid would he ?

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Here's to hoping he won't trade for scrubs like Keith Ballard and David Booth and have them eating up huge chunks of the salary cap while doing absolutely nothing . He wouldn't be THAT stupid would he ?

Yeah he could trade another top 4 d man and replace him with waiver fodder

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
A nights sleep helps when no move was made. I am not as negative about things this morning. I am willing to wait to see what he does here.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

i hope he doesn't get guys like hamhuis, ehrhoff, or tanev either. those guys have never even been to medicine hat.

EDIT: or garrison. for the love of god, no more garrisons.

arsmaster*

Wouldn't mind Adam McQuaid on our D to shore up that 3rd pairing.

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Sbisa-McQuaid
Stanton-Corrado

I think we have enough guys who barely ever contribute offensively from the blueline.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

There should have been a clause forbidding Gillis from trading with Florida!
Dale Tallon must have rubbed his hands with glee every time he saw Gillis' number on his cell phone. :)

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
There should have been a clause forbidding Gillis from trading with Florida!
Dale Tallon must have rubbed his hands with glee every time he saw Gillis' number on his cell phone. :)

"Hey Dale, it's a 604 number calling."

"Just say yes."

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Oh god those trades were horrible...thus far Benning has targeted specific players who have pretty much all proven to be good acquisitions. Confident a potential Kassian or Lack return will continue this trend.

arsmaster*

It's hilarious. Florida literally got nothing out of either the Booth trade or the Ballard trade and they were both solid deals at the time they were made, they didn't work out, I think everyone can agree to that, but the idea we somehow got fleeced is pretty laughable.

You could rationalize both those trades at the time they went down quite easily, and I can bet most people on this forum applauded both.

Booth was one of the most common names to come up in the armchair thread for about 3 years preceding that deal. Nobody will admit to that now though.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
It's hilarious. Florida literally got nothing out of either the Booth trade or the Ballard trade and they were both solid deals at the time they were made, they didn't work out, I think everyone can agree to that, but the idea we somehow got fleeced is pretty laughable.

You could rationalize both those trades at the time they went down quite easily, and I can bet most people on this forum applauded both.

Booth was one of the most common names to come up in the armchair thread for about 3 years preceding that deal. Nobody will admit to that now though.

Florida got rid of Booth's contract - freed up 4.25M for several seasons. That's massive and certainly not "nothing". Very astute move by Tallon.

You can rationalize the thinking/thought process for both deals, but you would learn nothing if you did so. The 'insurance defenceman' and 'buy low on concussed players/reclamation approach' strategies were both poor. Yes, we see that in hindsight - but is hindsight no longer a valid way to evaluate decisions?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The Booth trade was called a win for Van by pretty much everyone at the time. I remember reading the trade thread on here and the main boards at 2am in Sweden when it happened while I was pulling an all nighter for an exam. Even our most hated rivals thought it was a big win for us. I'm sure some of Benning's moves will look even worse with the gift of hindsight.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC

The problem wasn't so much the trades, it was the $9 million in dead cap space that Gillis refused to do anything about.

Once you realize that your coach isn't going to play Ballard, or that Booth is a shadow of the player you thought you were getting, you need to do something about it.

The post 2011 team was poised to win, but desperately needed an injection of talent. Gillis sat on his hands and watched the thing burn.

Also, General Managers are supposed to have some foresight, so hindsight is a valid way to look at trades.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
The 'insurance defenceman'
There was a real need for insurance in that case given that Edler was the only defenseman signed at that point for longer than one season. Plan wasn't flawed...execution was (horribly wrong player was chosen).

Once you realize that your coach isn't going to play Ballard, or that Booth is a shadow of the player you thought you were getting, you need to do something about it.

The post 2011 team was poised to win, but desperately needed an injection of talent. Gillis sat on his hands and watched the thing burn.
Yeah, he should've had him bought out. Booth unfortunately was injured (big surprise lol) to prevent an earlier buyout.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Some truth to that. Booth was pretty coveted around here because of his big years before the concussion. But you'd think that our scouting would have seen how far he'd declined.
But the Ballard deal looked brutal from the moment it was announced. And that was even without knowing that Grabner would become an NHL player. That should have been a cap dump deal but instead Tallon fleeced Gillis for a high pick. The fact that the player drafted hasn't amounted to much doesn't change that deal at all.
And as aonther poster mentioned, the salary saved by Florida was huge for a small market team.

On balance, I think Gillis made a lot of good moves, it just bugs me when people use different yardsticks for measuring Gilis and Benning.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
The problem wasn't so much the trades, it was the $9 million in dead cap space that Gillis refused to do anything about.

He couldn't buy out Booth because he wouldn't stop getting hurt

arsmaster*

The Booth trade was called a win for Van by pretty much everyone at the time. I remember reading the trade thread on here and the main boards at 2am in Sweden when it happened while I was pulling an all nighter for an exam. Even our most hated rivals thought it was a big win for us. I'm sure some of Benning's moves will look even worse with the gift of hindsight.

I don't even think it has to be a Gillis vs Benning thing, the Benning guys seem to want it to be.

There are some fans who thought we won the Kesler deal from opposing teams, a lot of us hated it from the start.

The issue with the trades Benning has made IMO, is that he actually moved solid contributing players.

Bernier, Grabner, Samuelsson were hardly that, and Sammy was coming off a significant injury (wish he would have lasted the 2011 playoff run....things might have been different).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad