Confirmed with Link: Jim Benning and Travis Green Meet with Media at 9:30am on SN 650 (OP summarizes Pg. 1)

dman34

May 6, 2011
I agree that he's done if they miss the playoffs next year (or don't at least get close)

They were close this year. Granted, 90pts got the Avs in but I don't see Benning getting an extension unless the Canucks take a big step forward in 2019-2020. I believe I heard on the radio that they have the worst wining percentage of any team in the NHL over the past 5 seasons. That in itself is a fireable offence, Benning should've been canned last year.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The significant words from Benning that I've seen so far are:

-teams win with 26-35 year olds

-we're looking for a top 6 scorer and to upgrade our defence

What this means to me is:

1. He isn't looking to rebuild, he's looking for guys in the 26-35 year old range to win now with.

2. He's planning on spending on free agency, on a defenceman and a top 6 scorer.

Ferland, Myers and Simmonds leap off the page as guys he'll be targetting, though it's hard to say that Simmonds is still a top 6 scorer.

It all seems consistent with his past actions. He'll target, by hockey standards, middle age to older guys.

It seems to me the big problem with targetting this age group is that there are a good number of them whose production and usefulness declines rapidly. If you sign them for 4-6 years, then the chances are you're going to get decline. If you're lucky it's a little bit and you get some usefulness.. If you're unlucky they become completely useless or at least much, much less than they were previously.

When the average age of RETIREMENT in the NHL is 28 (What is the average retirement age for NHL players) it seems to me one should be wary of older players, not having that as the preferred age range for acquisitions.

In any event, it seems a confirmation of the thinking that led to signing 31 year old Loui Eriksson and 33 year old Radim Vrbata and trading 20 year old center Jared McCann (too young) and a couple of draft picks for a soon-to-turn 26 years of age Erik Gudbranson.

That's not what he said and reading it like this is completely unnecessary.

When I posted what you quoted, I was relying on other posters as I hadn't yet listened to Benning. I've now listened to the entire video which can be found at

The posters I'd relied on were accurate, paraphrasing a little. I stand my my analysis. What he said is pretty much what my post that you quoted said he said and my take and concerns are unchanged.

From the video:

7:15 Q: What do you see as the deficiencies on the Canucks roster. What do you think the team needs?

7:21 A: Well it would be nice to add another top six player to score, and help us in the scoring department. ... [proceeds to talk about Tanner Pearson, then continues with .. ]

7:40 ... we want to look at our defence and if we can make some upgrades on defence we’d like to look at that.

[after referring to the ages of the Canucks' best players, Benning continued with]

8:23 ...you look at when teams get good and when they win, they win with 26 to 35 year old players.

9:06 in free agency we’re going to look at all of our options and if there’s moves that we can make to address weaknesses that we think we have we’re going to try to be aggressive to address those weaknesses. That’s a priority.
___

So my take is still that he thinks teams win with 26-35 year old players, that they want a top-6 scorer and a defenceman. Further, when asked about deficiencies he mentions a scorer for the top 6 and a defenceman, then a little while later mentions that in free agency if there's moves he can make to address weaknesses he's going to be aggressive to address those weaknesses. He thinks the players you win with are 26-35 years old.

That all follows directly from his words.

Btw, his past free agent signings during July and August t July and August free agents signings, not including minor league players and undrafted rookies, with ages shown as of October 1 of the then upcoming NHL season, have been:

2014-Ryan Miller (34), Radim Vrbata (33)
2015-Matt Bartkowski (27)
(mostly minors-Richard Bachman-depth goalie-28)
2016-Loui Eriksson (31)
(mostly minors the previous season-Borna Rendulic-24, Michael Chaput-24, Jayson Megna-26, Chad Billins SHL-27)
2017-Anders Nilsson (27), Michael del Zotto (27), Patrick Wiercioch (27), Sam Gagner (28), Tomas Vanek (33) and
Alexander Burmistrov (25)
2018-Antoine Roussel (28), Jay Beagle (32), Tim Schaller (26)

Listening to what he said and looking at past practice, how can anyone NOT get the impression he's looking to sign a 26-35 year old scorer and a 26-35 year old defenceman to address what he sees as team deficiencies?

The Flow

Jan 30, 2018
Hong Kong
2016-Loui Eriksson (31)
(mostly minors the previous season-Borna Rendulic-24, Michael Chaput-24, Jayson Megna-26, Chad Billins SHL-27)
2017-Anders Nilsson (27), Michael del Zotto (27), Patrick Wiercioch (27), Sam Gagner (28), Tomas Vanek (33) and

Listening to what he said and looking at past practice, how can anyone NOT get the impression he's looking to sign a 26-35 year old scorer and a 26-35 year old defenceman to address what he sees as team deficiencies?

The only decent signings were:

1) Ryan Miller
2) Radim Vrbata
3) Thomas Vanek
4) Antoine Roussel

Rest were trash

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Ok so you are a guy who defends Benning at all costs. So before the fact, before benning does it or not, I would like to get a feel for your savvy on free agents. and what is actually best for this team. Do you think signing Ferland and Myers to long term UFA contracts are good moves for the Canucks?
Weird you didnt even get a response to this? Until Benning speaks on something there is no opinion - then it's the best move ever.

Reactions: vanuck

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Btw, his past free agent signings during July and August t July and August free agents signings, not including minor league players and undrafted rookies, with ages shown as of October 1 of the then upcoming NHL season, have been:

2016-Loui Eriksson (31)

most players are protected at a young age and thus a sample of players signed between 26-32 does not indictate with certainty that Benning is targeting this age group, but rather that these are usually the only players available to sign in the first place.

I want the man fired too, but I think your analysis is too assuming in its logic.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
This makes a lot of sense though. This season should be the bottom. They jsut lost the Sedins, EP is a rookie, etc..

They should be back on the upswing soon.

What throws it out of wack is Markstrom becoming a legit starter and Petey being insanely good. Either of those change and this team is way down the standings. The west also sucked this year.

Bolded above. Sort of. The east had the strongest teams generally, but also the worst. Far more parity in the west.

Reactions: Numba9

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Geezus. I spent as much time in Utica as Canucks brass did, and I was just visiting a friend for a few days.
No GM should be spending significant time on the other side of the continent during the regular season. Not a popular opinion around here but the farm team needs to be in Vancouver or California.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
No GM should be spending significant time on the other side of the continent during the regular season. Not a popular opinion around here but the farm team needs to be in Vancouver or California.

Henning managed Utica just fine when he was still here. The location isn't the issue, it's simply managerial competence.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

There is really nothing that requires either Jim Benning or Ryan Johnson to be in Vancouver to do their jobs.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
There is really nothing that requires either Jim Benning or Ryan Johnson to be in Vancouver to do their jobs.

We require the nightly camera shot of Benning looking confused and exasperated in the managers box.

jim-b.gif

Reactions: vanuck and Peter10

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
most players are protected at a young age and thus a sample of players signed between 26-32 does not indictate with certainty that Benning is targeting this age group, but rather that these are usually the only players available to sign in the first place.

I want the man fired too, but I think your analysis is too assuming in its logic.

This is what irritates me too. I do not support Benning, and I think it is a fine idea to fire him IF his heir apparent is ready and available, but some of the blind hate on here is over the line.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Blackhawks 2010 Cup team:

Kane was 21
Toews was 21
Keith was 26
Ladd was 24

Kings 2012 Cup team:

Kopitar was 24
Doughty was 22
Voynov 22
Quick 26

Penguins 2009 Cup team:

Crosby was 21
Malkin was 22
Staal was 20
Letang was 22

Yes these teams had older veteran role players. But make no mistake... the core of these Stanley Cup winning teams was incredibly young. Sorry Jim but you’re wrong. Can’t believe how dense he can be at times. This is not a point of contention among anyone in the hockey world aside from JB. The NHL is getting younger, faster, more skilled. Yet Jim is going the other way.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Not one media member asked Benning about why he hasn’t added any picks and why he’s dealt away a bunch over the years....

Pretty disappointed he wasn’t even asked about it...

Reactions: Szechwan

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Blackhawks 2010 Cup team:

Kane was 21
Toews was 21
Keith was 26
Ladd was 24

Kings 2012 Cup team:

Kopitar was 24
Doughty was 22
Voynov 22
Quick 26

Penguins 2009 Cup team:

Crosby was 21
Malkin was 22
Staal was 20
Letang was 22

Yes these teams had older veteran role players. But make no mistake... the core of these Stanley Cup winning teams was incredibly young. Sorry Jim but you’re wrong. Can’t believe how dense he can be at times. This is not a point of contention among anyone in the hockey world aside from JB. The NHL is getting younger, faster, more skilled. Yet Jim is going the other way.

Why did you pick those teams? Why not look over the past 5 years? Going that far back doesn’t help your point.

I interpreted what Benning said differently then some on here. I don’t think he meant that having your core in that age range was an absolute requirement.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Why did you pick those teams? Why not look over the past 5 years? Going that far back doesn’t help your point.

I interpreted what Benning said differently then some on here. I don’t think he meant that having your core in that age range was an absolute requirement.

I picked those teams because they all won multiple Cups and their first Cups were with very young cores. These three teams have been the most dominant teams of the last decade. Yes they’ve also won Cups as their players have gotten older, but let’s not pretend that they had to get to that age before they were able to compete.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Not one media member asked Benning about why he hasn’t added any picks and why he’s dealt away a bunch over the years....

Pretty disappointed he wasn’t even asked about it...
I was waiting on that too. Jimbo prefers his "hockey trades"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad