Post-Game Talk: Jets Win in OT 5-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If he can't find icetime for Perrault....should trade him. Perreault is a good player and could fit really well with Lowry long term.

Perreault >> Copp Tanev

I wouldn't go as far as moving him right now. I think if he gets moved at some point its a contract thing. IMO, we'll be thankful for the depth as the season progresses.

I'm just thinking that if PoMo is going to sit the 4th line (and keep CLT together), it would be good to try to get Perreault more involved. PP time, maybe PK? He could also give Perreault a few shifts on the 2nd line depending on how everyone is playing.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
It might be a good idea to try some combination of Lowry and Perreault with Either Copp or Tanev. That line could benefit from someone with a little more offense to capitalize further on their solid play.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
It might be a good idea to try some combination of Lowry and Perreault with Either Copp or Tanev. That line could benefit from someone with a little more offense to capitalize further on their solid play.
It would make sense to switch places with Perreault and Copp. It would get Perreault more ice time and potentially add some scoring to Lowry's line without making it any worse defensively.

Reactions: Spock
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't care what PoMo believes, Laine is better on the left side in both zones.

Laine appears lost on the right side, however he's been a turnover machine on the left.

Probably viewing bias as he does seem to have the puck more on his stick when on his left, so far more opportunities to turn the puck over.

Perhaps if he shortened his stick & also choose one with a flex designed for something other than simply shooting he'd handle the puck better? As it stands he's already changing sticks when going on the power play.

Could come at a cost however. Would his shot still be as lethal doing this? Already considered by many a one-trick pony, this change could make him a no-trick pony.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yes, he was looking for a spark. The fact it worked shouldn't make people wish for those same combinations long term. Not saying that we should necessarily want anything else either. Only saying that sometimes any change is a good change and that it doesn't necessarily continue to work well.

There was one point late last year where he tried swapping Ehlers and Connor, the change I had been wanting. It worked well too. Next game everything was back to the way it had been before.

I just hope this result will encourage Mau to consider some changes to the top 6. And I hope he will stumble onto good ones, whether it is these or some others. I don't care how the lines are constructed as long as they work well.

You're right - these changes could very well be temporary and nothing more that.
Maurice strikes me as the type of coach that ponders his line up and makes changes very carefully - and I'm not referring to the changes made last night. IMO, that was a quick shakeup to get them out of a funk and not intended long term.
He's sticking with the 2nd line despite the fact that progress is slow - this might be him being stubborn or he might feel that the issues with the line are not "line" related, but more player growth related. In other words, moving the pcs won't help the pcs. Right or wrong, that's how I think he thinks

But his dilemma at this point is that he now has a top line that is not getting it done consistently and this has him worried a little - and that is what encouraged the swap we seen last night.
Personally, I don't believe the swap of 2 players had much to do with the way the team "decided" to play in the 3rd - but it did provide a spark to get it all rolling.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Curious what people think Wheeler's post game comment meant.

"In the third we let go of some of the baggage & just went out and played & got into a good rhythm." "Whatever was said & done, we'll keep between us."

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It would make sense to switch places with Perreault and Copp. It would get Perreault more ice time and potentially add some scoring to Lowry's line without making it any worse defensively.

Actually it does make them worse defensively. But I don’t think enough to offset the added forechecking. I would not be opposed to Perro with Lowry.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Garret's pointed out a number of times that Copp+Lowry>>>>Tanev&Lowry.
I won't argue against how their play has compared this far, but I think that Tanev seems to be progressing nicely and his reckless forecheck could work great together with Perreault. I also think that Copp would fit better with Roslovic than Tanev, so it would balance the lines better. That way you would also have two guys who have played C taking face offs on both lines.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Except Copp is better defensively than Tanev.

PLC makes sense to me, adds some needed offense, no real drop off in defense.

Reactions: Board Bard

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Except Copp is better defensively than Tanev.

PLC makes sense to me, adds some needed offense, no real drop off in defense.
That's a solid 3rd line :thumbu: It would make the 4th line pretty shaky, though. I think that Copp feels like a safer choice than Tanev with the kids on the 4th line.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Sounds to me like they've been working on stuff that isn't quite coming and making them think to much, Wheeler seemed frustrated by it and at least to me indicated they just decided to play a little less unencumbered.

Details are important but sometimes they can be stifling, Maurice stresses them a lot, perhaps grating on some guys?

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Laine appears lost on the right side, however he's been a turnover machine on the left.

Probably viewing bias as he does seem to have the puck more on his stick when on his left, so far more opportunities to turn the puck over.

Perhaps if he shortened his stick & also choose one with a flex designed for something other than simply shooting he'd handle the puck better? As it stands he's already changing sticks when going on the power play.

Could come at a cost however. Would his shot still be as lethal doing this? Already considered by many a one-trick pony, this change could make him a no-trick pony.

A different stick might help some aspects but it wont magically turn him into something else.

I don’t see what swapping sticks has to do with anything. It’s same build, just a fresh one?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Curious what people think Wheeler's post game comment meant.

"In the third we let go of some of the baggage & just went out and played & got into a good rhythm." "Whatever was said & done, we'll keep between us."

My interpretation is letting go of baggage and weight of the run last year, being touted as a great team and a cup contender this year, and the expectations that come with that.

Personally, I think it's a psychological thing. When you've been on a great team, even though you are not trying to do it, you can sometimes forget to do the things that make you great. You have to consistently go out and forget everything and do the things it took for you to be great in the first place.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
That's a solid 3rd line :thumbu: It would make the 4th line pretty shaky, though. I think that Copp feels like a safer choice than Tanev with the kids on the 4th line.
Maybe, but I'd rather see Tanev play 6 minutes a night as opposed to Perreault or Copp :sarcasm:.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
A different stick might help some aspects but it wont magically turn him into something else.

I don’t see what swapping sticks has to do with anything. It’s same build, just a fresh one?

Is it the same build? I've been under the impression it's different.

A few games back some chicanery was pulled to get Laine to the bench & get his PP stick.

EDIT...I just typed PP stick & thought nothing of it:naughty:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Is it the same build? I've been under the impression it's different.

A few games back some chicanery was pulled to get Laine to the bench & get his PP stick.

EDIT...I just typed PP stick & thought nothing of it:naughty:
Literally just loled!!

Thanks!

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
My interpretation is letting go of baggage and weight of the run last year, being touted as a great team and a cup contender this year, and the expectations that come with that.

Personally, I think it's a psychological thing. When you've been on a great team, even though you are not trying to do it, you can sometimes forget to do the things that make you great. You have to consistently go out and forget everything and do the things it took for you to be great in the first place.

I could see this. I’ve definitely got the impression that they’ve played that way a bit. Complacency. Maybe they start to turn the corner now.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Agree I thought I read somewhere last year it was a different flex
I read somewhere that he just wants a fresh stick for the PP so that it won't break. I'm too lazy to dig the source though...

Edit: here is a recent interview in finnish where he talks about his sticks amongst other things. Laine is very picky with his sticks and won't let anyone else touch them. He uses about 5 sticks during a game, and separate (but identical) sticks on the PP. He sometimes does a new tapejob between shifts. During a season he uses maybe 100 sticks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Morrow has been awful all season. Bring up Niku.

Chiarot was awful in the first but surprisingly looked good offensively in the third? It was weird.

6-2-1 while not playing our best hockey is a good thing not a bad thing. There is no way this team doesn't figure it out and start carrying play 5 on 5 like they are capable of, we've seen flashes of it over the last few games. It will come.

Helle needs to be better. Jake Allen will be the downfall of the Blues, he's awful.

I think you spelled Poolman wrong.......but yes, agree, Morrow has not looked good this year so far.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Nah, I think he was probably a Leafs fan (with zero evidence) who wanted to make Laine fans seem more obnoxious.

I thought he was a serious poster for the longest time and was like "damn this dude is speaking his mind" (because obviously I agreed with him about the Laine + Chef combo), but then at some point it got too ridiculous and by the time he started wishing Scheifele off the top line to make room for Laine it started making absolutely no sense at all. Thus he vanished as mysteriously as he came.

He did gift us some classic lines for sure :D.

Farmboy, O’Connor. Both of Kyle’s nicknames came from avgaard. That in itself is quite the legacy.

I missed the arc where he wished for Scheifele to being taken off the top line to make room for Laine. He wanted LWC? Hahahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad