Post-Game Talk: Jets win 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree, between this game and last night's comeback against the Rangers, I'm seeing a team that is reacting the right way to adversity. Who knows, maybe this will be like last time we had 4 D men out and the team just.. gelled under the stress.
I've said that all along this team reacts exceptionally while to adversity. Their fans ride the roller coaster up and down with various levels of panic, but our team just keeps pushing forward dealing with each situation that presents itself seemingly unfazed.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
With all the injuries and 2 wins already the Jets could have packed it in.

Instead, they scratched and clawed their way to a victory.

A win in Jersey and two wins in New York!

They say if you make it there, you'll make it anywhere....

With current mood being super hyped, I'm gonna go more with this version:

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
When they announced at the beginning of the game that Morrissey was not playing their was a collective sigh, at the end of this road trip we have seen a team lose a lead and win, get down early and come back to win and finally grind out a win with a short handed d, that's what you call character building wins.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I've said that all along this team reacts exceptionally while to adversity. Their fans ride the roller coaster up and down with various levels of panic, but our team just keeps pushing forward dealing with each situation that presents itself seemingly unfazed.

Hell, maybe that's our duty as Jets fans? We bear the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune so the team can keep an even keel? Fine by me :)

Reactions: Festinator

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Great game. We looked like the old responsible jets who take care of business and then take advantage of the opportunities when they knock.

I really enjoyed that.

Reactions: Tommigun

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I noticed Calgary won tonight and are in 1st place. They scored tons of goals tonight, and we always seem to have trouble against them. We may end up playing them in the playoffs. Good news is that, the Avalanche lost to the Penns tonight.:)

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Haha Laine feeding passes through the slot last few games. Looking for assists?

What a great road trip!

Woo

Reactions: Robinson2187

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I agree, between this game and last night's comeback against the Rangers, I'm seeing a team that is reacting the right way to adversity. Who knows, maybe this will be like last time we had 4 D men out and the team just.. gelled under the stress.
We didn't even have to beat a Vez goalie performance tonight, Islanders just lost, wow. Good road trip !

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Nice win and good to see no negatively tonight .:DD

I have a question ... I don't know if its a good ideal or not and want your thoughts on it.
The Islanders TOI for the forwards was 12.10 to 17.53 while the Jets was 7.17 to 23.12.
The Islanders defencemen TOI was 17.07 to 21.48 while the Jets was 10.08 to 28.01.
Is it a good thing to play your top players that much or a bad thing?

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Man Tanev is great, I mean all he does is work hard, he hustles back, he just wants to win so bad. It’s all about the team, we are so lucky to have him.
Man Lowry is great, I mean all he does is work hard, he hustles back, he just wants to win so bad. It’s all about the team, we are so lucky to have him.
Man Connor is great, I mean all he does is work hard, he hustles back, he just wants to win so bad. It’s all about the team, we are so lucky to have him.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
k03LwIk.png

• It certainly wasn't an advanced game for the Jets, but despite a poor showing in the decimals for most players, they come away with another win and the numbers that do matter: 2 points in the standings.
  • A slow start for the first line quickly rebounded into an even split in terms of CF%, but heavily in the red for xGF% as Ehlers sneaks away with an empty net goal and point. In what mattered the most, they controlled play at the end of the game and
  • Connor-Little-Laine bled shots against at a disastrous rate and unfortunately it might look like the magic of Connor and Laine together has run out. This is, of course, contrary to how all three look visually in the offensive zone, as I think most would agree that they look at their best - however, as good as they look on that side of the ice, they are performing equally if not doubly as bad on their end. I would like to see this line together as the regular defencemen get back into the lineup (notably Morrissey and Byfuglien), but can't say they're trending positively, unfortunately.
  • Yet another game, yet another... well not quite dominating game for the Lowry line, but positive. Perreault takes the honours of being the only Jet forward with a positive xGF, no thanks to any shots he took himself (see: none), but the line as a whole was generally hustling and bustling as they're accustomed to.
  • Oh boy... after two games in a row of complimenting the fourth line, they crash down hard, and to no one's surprise it's when Lemieux is on the line. He might've brought a physical presence, but they really didn't do anything in the offensive zone and didn't help out the drained backend. Time to put together the Moose top line if Copp is out again. Lemieux should be sent down to the Moose.
  • Niku-Trouba - steady, if you can call that steady. Enough to win the game, but Trouba looks worse off without Morrissey while Niku isn't as terrible as most thought with his limited ice time. Granted, for a last minute pairing, they performed admirably. As well, Trouba impressed visually as one of the few Jets to generate clean exits from the zone and relieving pressure from the Islanders forecheck. Props to Trouba, and credit deserved (finally) for Niku.
  • The rest: Myers needs to take less shots himself as I don't think he's as good as he thinks he is. Granted, his pairing(s) performed the most admirably when it comes to CF% and xGF%, and not every gaffe of his is going in like they did earlier in the year. If this was a test, it would be a B+.
Chief's eyetest says: 6 points in 3 games is good. But most importantly (granted the Islanders aren't anything special; but granted he was facing shots right in front of him all night), Hellebuyck looks like his old self. Keep it rolling, boys.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Haha Laine feeding passes through the slot last few games. Looking for assists?

What a great road trip!

Woo

It would likely be now 5-1 or 4-1 if passer's and shooter's roles would've been reversed. Though, Laine is better passer than Little and Connor.

Whatever. Good Win! No tilts in period 3 tonight. Good.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I noticed Calgary won tonight and are in 1st place. They scored tons of goals tonight, and we always seem to have trouble against them. We may end up playing them in the playoffs. Good news is that, the Avalanche lost to the Penns tonight.:)
C'mon man ... are you a Jets fan or not?
NO team should scare you ... we can beat them ALL!

Reactions: GNP

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
God I can remember just a couple of years ago we could never win 3 in a row. People were calling for Maurice's head.

This is what, our 3rd time this year we've won 3+ games in a row?

3 on the road, including a b2b while missing buff the whole time.

This teams depth is unreal

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I think Hellebuyck's play was as important as two points tonight. We really need more of this from him. Nothing spectacular ... Just good.

See, those are expectations I can get behind :) I think no one here ever expects to see a belly-down kick save like Smith did, I think in fact we'd all agree that HAVING to make such a save means shit's going south -- see which, Pavelec and all his 'athletic saves'.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
k03LwIk.png

• It certainly wasn't an advanced game for the Jets, but despite a poor showing in the decimals for most players, they come away with another win and the numbers that do matter: 2 points in the standings.
  • A slow start for the first line quickly rebounded into an even split in terms of CF%, but heavily in the red for xGF% as Ehlers sneaks away with an empty net goal and point. In what mattered the most, they controlled play at the end of the game and
  • Connor-Little-Laine bled shots against at a disastrous rate and unfortunately it might look like the magic of Connor and Laine together has run out. This is, of course, contrary to how all three look visually in the offensive zone, as I think most would agree that they look at their best - however, as good as they look on that side of the ice, they are performing equally if not doubly as bad on their end. I would like to see this line together as the regular defencemen get back into the lineup (notably Morrissey and Byfuglien), but can't say they're trending positively, unfortunately.
  • Yet another game, yet another... well not quite dominating game for the Lowry line, but positive. Perreault takes the honours of being the only Jet forward with a positive xGF, no thanks to any shots he took himself (see: none), but the line as a whole was generally hustling and bustling as they're accustomed to.
  • Oh boy... after two games in a row of complimenting the fourth line, they crash down hard, and to no one's surprise it's when Lemieux is on the line. He might've brought a physical presence, but they really didn't do anything in the offensive zone and didn't help out the drained backend. Time to put together the Moose top line if Copp is out again. Lemieux should be sent down to the Moose.
  • Niku-Trouba - steady, if you can call that steady. Enough to win the game, but Trouba looks worse off without Morrissey while Niku isn't as terrible as most thought with his limited ice time. Granted, for a last minute pairing, they performed admirably. As well, Trouba impressed visually as one of the few Jets to generate clean exits from the zone and relieving pressure from the Islanders forecheck. Props to Trouba, and credit deserved (finally) for Niku.
  • The rest: Myers needs to take less shots himself as I don't think he's as good as he thinks he is. Granted, his pairing(s) performed the most admirably when it comes to CF% and xGF%, and not every gaffe of his is going in like they did earlier in the year. If this was a test, it would be a B+.
Chief's eyetest says: 6 points in 3 games is good. But most importantly (granted the Islanders aren't anything special; but granted he was facing shots right in front of him all night), Hellebuyck looks like his old self. Keep it rolling, boys.

Good post. I think they did about as well as could be expected but Morrissey's absence was pretty evident. I like Niku and think he is an NHL player but he's nowhere near ready for top line assignments. Given Myers somewhat improved play I would like to see him in Morrow's spot once Morrissey and Buff are back. It was far from a picaso but Helle owed the team a win and he delivered in a big way tonight. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has no idea what Maurice is thinking playing Lemieux. Every line he is on he drags down. I wonder if he might have among the worst shot metric stats in the entire league now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad