Post-Game Talk: JETS vs SENS, Saturday 2:00 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
BT also has to deserve a demotion.

If he started the season in the AHL being up here would be a reward, and sending him back would be fine. Since he started in the NHL being sent down would be a demotion, and he would have to deserve it.

In my opinion he is busting ass every game, getting chances, and generally putting in top level effort at all times. His numbers also indicate that he can play in this league, so what would be the reason. People get hung up on the idea that playing in a lower league means that a player will magically develop into a better player in a higher league. This is not a rule, rather each player needs a specific development path that caters to the personally. Especially your top prospects, they will have a very specific plan in place.

There is value in letting a guy play through his slumps and regain his confidence. A demotion is more of a punishment when you have been an NHL player and wouldn’t be helpful in my opinion.

Depends on how you sell it to the player. It doesn't have to be sold as a demotion. The rationale for sending him down is to get some prime minutes in ALL situations and get some confidence. You have to admit that he's hit a wall. His first 20 games is nothing like his last 20 games. He's been struggling both offensively and defensively. Not even being on a line with Stone has shielded him from the obvious dip in play he's had semi-recently. It doesn't have to be a negative thing. Proper management can sell it as a positive outcome.

But that will never happen, since BT can do no wrong.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I havent seen groups of people in public encouraging melnyk out, or a bunch of "cool people" wearing melnyk out hats at the movie theater. It's a group of online people that don't have the same reflection as the general public.

We kicked the Jets ass yesterday and look at what people are talking about. Petty bickering to fit there narratives.

Regarding the sens finances, a bunch of you said this wasn't a rebuild, and that Melnyk won't spend,then he publicly admits he will spend and STILL people continue.
Because he has lied to the fanbase about “Spending when it was time to compete” during our last rebuild.

There is no trust between Eugene and the fanbase because of his long and proven record of being a slime ball liar.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Depends on how you sell it to the player. It doesn't have to be sold as a demotion. The rationale for sending him down is to get some prime minutes in ALL situations and get some confidence. You have to admit that he's hit a wall. His first 20 games is nothing like his last 20 games. He's been struggling both offensively and defensively. Not even being on a line with Stone has shielded him from the obvious dip in play he's had semi-recently. It doesn't have to be a negative thing. Proper management can sell it as a positive outcome.

But that will never happen, since BT can do no wrong.

I get what you’re saying but rather than BT can do no wrong, I think he has to do wrong.

Sure he’s hit a wall, but I think GB is letting him work through it instead of sending him down and making him someone else’s ‘problem’, or ‘giving up on him’.

Sure you could try and make it look like something else, but it would be a demotion any way you slice it. I think they are going to give him every opportunity in this lost season to get his game back, play solid minutes with good players with the NHL team and break through the wall.

Like I said, the effort level is there, the chances have been there, I think the message the team is sending is a positive one.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Brady looks like he could use a stint in the AHL to get his game back together.

Won’t happen, but IMO it should.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I get what you’re saying but rather than BT can do no wrong, I think he has to do wrong.

Sure he’s hit a wall, but I think GB is letting him work through it instead of sending him down and making him someone else’s ‘problem’, or ‘giving up on him’.

Sure you could try and make it look like something else, but it would be a demotion any way you slice it. I think they are going to give him every opportunity in this lost season to get his game back, play solid minutes with good players with the NHL team and break through the wall.

Like I said, the effort level is there, the chances have been there, I think the message the team is sending is a positive one.

Yeah, that's a cool approach, but it only works to certain degree. If BT keeps on struggling (which he has, and it's been more than 20 games), then you gotta change it up. Also, why didn't the same policy apply to other young kids like Paul, Balcers, Wolanin etc? This is why Boucher has to go. Because he's inconsistent and he's hurting more than helping the young players.

Reactions: DrEasy

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Tkachuk I don't think is eligible for the AHL? Pretty sure he would have been assigned to the Knights if sent down (and I felt that was the way to go at the start of the season regardless of his play in order to slide his contract). And if assigned to the Knights, he'd be there until their playoff season is over.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tkachuk I don't think is eligible for the AHL? Pretty sure he would have been assigned to the Knights if sent down (and I felt that was the way to go at the start of the season regardless of his play in order to slide his contract). And if assigned to the Knights, he'd be there until their playoff season is over.
He was drafted out of college so we could send him down to either . Only players drafted out of the CHL can't go to the AHL.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
It's only fair to give Balcers are fair stretch of games with Stone with significant minute to see where he stands.

Worst case scenario. He goes 30 games with just 1 goal and 1 assist like our VIP boy Tkachuk

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

The AHL rule you are thinking of only applies to CHL players based on an agreement between the NHL and CHL to keep prominent players in the CHL.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah, that's a cool approach, but it only works to certain degree. If BT keeps on struggling (which he has, and it's been more than 20 games), then you gotta change it up. Also, why didn't the same policy apply to other young kids like Paul, Balcers, Wolanin etc? This is why Boucher has to go. Because he's inconsistent and he's hurting more than helping the young players.

I don’t think he’s hurting any of our kids, nor do I think anyone in here has the slightest bit of information needed to make such a claim.

I agree that BT could be sent down if he’s struggles mightily, but I don’t think he’s there yet. Paul has been given many chances at the NHL level and has been just OK which is why he’s up and down. He is not skilled enough to warrant time in the top lines. Balcers has been brought along slowly and is getting more chances as we go, and Wolainin has been inconsistent but the team thinks very highly of him so he’s being sheltered and brought along carefully.

GB explained to Coladin the other day that he carries 11-7 so that he can give each d man the minutes they can carry without overloading any of them. He’s trying to keep th confident and playing within their minutes. Take it for what it’s worth, but the man is all about developing, sheltering, and protecting the kids this year.

Reactions: Cloud

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don’t think he’s hurting any of our kids, nor do I think anyone in here has the slightest bit of information needed to make such a claim.

I agree that BT could be sent down if he’s struggles mightily, but I don’t think he’s there yet. Paul has been given many chances at the NHL level and has been just OK which is why he’s up and down. He is not skilled enough to warrant time in the top lines. Balcers has been brought along slowly and is getting more chances as we go, and Wolainin has been inconsistent but the team thinks v
He also ery highly of him so he’s being sheltered and brought along carefully.

GB explained to Coladin the other day that he carries 11-7 so that he can give each d man the minutes they can carry without overloading any of them. He’s trying to keep th confident and playing within their minutes. Take it for what it’s worth, but the man is all about developing, sheltering, and protecting the kids this year.

Going 11-7 allows him to play Stone and Duchene more spotting in with the 2 forwards. Look at TOI for White, Tkachuk and Balcers in the 3rd.. Look at when they got on, and how long they were between shifts.. IMO Boucher has only done what he's been told to do and when it comes to his instincts, he'd rather play 8 forwards and spot the rookies and then remark on how they ran out of gas in the 3rd.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Going 11-7 allows him to play Stone and Duchene more spotting in with the 2 forwards. Look at TOI for White, Tkachuk and Balcers in the 3rd.. Look at when they got on, and how long they were between shifts.. IMO Boucher has only done what he's been told to do and when it comes to his instincts, he'd rather play 8 forwards and spot the rookies and then remark on how they ran out of gas in the 3rd.

Sure, I mean we can all think what we want.

I appreciate Coladin sharing what GB said to his face about 11-7, and I’m inclined to believe the man was being honest about why he does it.

I’m not surprised that people would prefer to think that he is simply wired to play veterans at all costs, and is trying to ‘stifle the demon’ as he struggles to fulfill the GMs mandate to develop the kids.

Personally I see a coach that is developing the kids as his top priority, and isn’t as concerned if Stone and Duchene get a little tired in the third. The goal has obviously not been to win games as all costs, but to make sure the kids are insulated, are carefully used in pressure situations, are playing within their confidence ranges in terms of ice time, and move in and out of the line up when needed.

Like I said, you’re welcome to interpret the sliver of actual information you see in games as you see fit, but for me, the man’s words seem a better explanation as to what I personally see on the ice. To each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad