Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs. Penguins (Friday @ 7 pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I didn't knock him for not scoring. I knocked him for not getting a shot off. :sarcasm:

Anyway, that is not my point. My point is that he brought nothing to the table other than some energy and that can easily be found elsewhere IMO.

im knocking him for his complete inability to clear the zone, on the penalty kill AND 5v5

Beazley

Duke of the Dale
Oct 2, 2008
Winnipeg
im knocking him for his complete inability to clear the zone, on the penalty kill AND 5v5

Exactly. IF he could have done those things with success, those would have been some of the other things he brought to the table (other than energy). But, he didn't. He sucked at those things and those are the facets (IMO) that an "energy" kind of 4th liner should have to their games.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
I'm excited for this one, as I may be getting (FREE) tickets to the game!

I think the Pens are going to run into the Soviet Union (Burmi, Poni and Antro) and generate no offense at all.

3-0 for the Jets - Byfuglien scores a hattie, and Kane with 6 assists.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Player audio from the MTS

January-24-2013-Jets-practice-300x225.jpg

Ron Hainsey – Play of the defence. Communication between the D and low forward. Has he played more minutes this season? How has he adjusted his game over course of his career? Has his evolution as a defenceman allowed him to focus on different areas?

Mark Stuart – Best defence is being in offensive zone. Extra ice minutes impacting him? Any adjustments with his defensive pairing?

Chris Thorburn – Saying hello to Mr. Glass. Friends before and after game but not during. Who is the closest friend he has ever fought? How have they checked Crosby in the past? Did he get any assignments against him in Atlanta? Getting a goal early in the season. How will he feel if he finds himself on the ice with Glass and Slater if fans chant GST?

Kyle Wellwood – Handling playing a fast game. Finding a way to play more than just a skill game. His level of conditioning. Is it maddening as ever to be scratched at this point in his career. What does he need to do to erase doubt in coach’s mind?

Mark Scheifele – Assessment of his game. How hard is it to show how good he can be when he is given the role he is. Is he being given a fair shot? Anxious about the next 2 games? Wanting to get on the board.

To listen click here.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
I think we are going to work the Pens. 4-2. They have Sid/Malkin/Neal and nine 3rd liners.

This game will open some eyes. Jets make a statement.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I wonder if Glass is going to go with someone... Is Peluso in? I thought him fighting Asham last week at the opening drop was pretty cool given they went last year here. It was weird to see him in a Pens uni and Asham in a Rangers uni. Can't see Thor going with Glass... That would be weird.

How is it weird:

Blackie Dammit

proud flatlander
Jun 27, 2011
Interlake
I'm pumped. I had the first pick in our group and this game was my first choice. Crosby, Malkin, and the Pens live for the first time in WPG. Friday night party atmosphere. I went to the Pens game last year, we won our first home game. But the star power was not on the ice, no Crosby,Malkin, or Kane. I expect the Jets to come out strong in front of a crazy crowd, not a Saturday afternoon crowd. I think we win but turn around and lose on Sunday.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Here's hoping the crowd doesn't get too down. I thought the Ottawa crowd was the worst I've seen and was really surprised given the home opener feeling. Hardly any Go Jets Go chants and not much energy at all.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Crowd is gonna be nuts for a Friday NIGHT game vs Sid.....This was my first pick in our ticket draft also :D

the crowd will do our part.....the team has to do their part!

Go Jets Go!!!!

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I think we are going to work the Pens. 4-2. They have Sid/Malkin/Neal and nine 3rd liners.

This game will open some eyes. Jets make a statement.

I agree. The pens have zero depth. Their D is awful outside of Letang and Oprik. MAF is questionable.

The Pens best players are better then ours...but we have by far more pretty good players then they do.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Statistics don't always tell all. The penguins have had a pretty consistently good penalty kill for a handful of seasons now, and they wouldn't place Glass on the PK if they thought he was no good (because they certainly have other players to do that). Difference of opinion I guess.

They don't tell the whole story... they tell part and the average of the story... so ignoring them is just as bad if not worse than completely depending on them...

They wanted Glass for the same reason Chevy wanted Peluso...

Also last season they put skilled guys on the PK mostly:
Letang, Dupuis, etc

I don't think both the Canucks and Penguins would have offered him a contract if he was as bad as you're saying. Both are extremely competitive teams with GMs who would not sign players to make their teams worse.

PLayers play within a system on the PK and the whole Jets PK system was rotten. I don't think you can say one player was the weak link.
If it was more system than players how come some of our guys were some of the best PKers in the league (Burmi)...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Last year the Pens imposed their game on us (when Gino and kid were playing) and we fell into the trap of playing their style and no way we win in a run and gun affair.

I have to say it’s not that I am confident but weirdly I am looking forward to the challenge without fear. I am also happy we get a potentially fired up Pens team because I want to see how we measure up? I really think it is a test for us to see if we can impose our style and roll 4 lines at them and try to wear them down with our cycle game. They will be tough and that's a good thing.

I will be at the game and I am jacked for this one.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
I am a bit disappointed Cheveldayoff didn't make resigning Glass a priority in the off-season. I liked the way he played for us last year, and thought he played an important role - perfect 4th line energy guy and good penalty killer. I mean, if a cup contender in the Pens went after him and he plays decent minutes for them and kills penalties I don't understand why the Jets thought it would be okay to let him walk IMO.

Myzie, Glass may be a nice guy - but he was a really brutal Penalty Killer. Tried hard, played physical - I thought he was ok.

Pitt offered him more money, so off he goes...not a major loss to our team in my opinion

RonJon

May 18, 2011
I am a bit disappointed Cheveldayoff didn't make resigning Glass a priority in the off-season. I liked the way he played for us last year, and thought he played an important role - perfect 4th line energy guy and good penalty killer. I mean, if a cup contender in the Pens went after him and he plays decent minutes for them and kills penalties I don't understand why the Jets thought it would be okay to let him walk IMO.

Tanner said he would have loved to resign and I'm sure Chevy made him a fair offer but if the Pens offered more or were even in the Jets ballpark you cant blame Tanner a legitimate chance at a ring. I wish him much success ... except for tomorrow.

Myzie19

Sep 26, 2011
Tanner said he would have loved to resign and I'm sure Chevy made him a fair offer but if the Pens offered more or were even in the Jets ballpark you cant blame Tanner a legitimate chance at a ring. I wish him much success ... except for tomorrow.

I don't blame him one bit. All I am saying is that I liked what he brought to the team and am disappointed he is not on the team any longer. I went over to the penguins board to see what they thought of him so far and from the responses I got they have liked his play too.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I don't blame him one bit. All I am saying is that I liked what he brought to the team and am disappointed he is not on the team any longer. I went over to the penguins board to see what they thought of him so far and from the responses I got they have liked his play too.

Check their thoughts on him over at the Vancouver board....

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I'm hoping for another 5-8 game, 5-8 jets this time :sarcasm:

If the Jets let in 5 goals I'll be pissed whether they manage to score more or not.

IMO e key to winning the game is staying out of the penalty box. You just can't give Malkin and Crosby too much time on the PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad