Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs. Penguins (Friday @ 7 pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I have been a die hard FLyers fan for over 30 years and have never had a second team. Been living in Winnipeg for 15 years, so obviously I am a follower and take great interest in the Jets.

But if there is one game on the schedule where I will be a full blown Jet fanatic, it is tommorow night. I didnt go to Pens game last year, but got sweet tickets for the game tommorow. GO JETS GO !!!!!

ps.

**** I hate the PENS !

Well this is Akward...

I have never found my self on the same side as a Flyers fan. You sir are challenging the way ive always seen the NHL!! :laugh:

I for one would enjoy seeing this tho... Im sure it would make your day and solidify that 2nd team status for the Jets!

CrosbyCries.gif

Beazley

Duke of the Dale
Oct 2, 2008
Winnipeg
I wonder if Glass is going to go with someone... Is Peluso in? I thought him fighting Asham last week at the opening drop was pretty cool given they went last year here. It was weird to see him in a Pens uni and Asham in a Rangers uni. Can't see Thor going with Glass... That would be weird.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I predict that Kane gives Crosby a very rough ride and Burmi takes out Malkin.

Jets 4 -3 by way of tough physical play and the Jets newly found firepower!

Myzie19

Sep 26, 2011
I am a bit disappointed Cheveldayoff didn't make resigning Glass a priority in the off-season. I liked the way he played for us last year, and thought he played an important role - perfect 4th line energy guy and good penalty killer. I mean, if a cup contender in the Pens went after him and he plays decent minutes for them and kills penalties I don't understand why the Jets thought it would be okay to let him walk IMO.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Nah - the new chant will be (To the Tune of the Cranberries' song):

"In your heeaaaad,
In your heeeaaad,
Cros-by, Cros-by,
Cros-by-by-by"

that's what i'm talking about. A little creativity!

Chant's like that i can ge tbehind... as long as we only do them once.

but i will say, i would like to hear us Cheer a little more. Not necessarily at the cost of booing, but definitly more cheering.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I am a bit disappointed Cheveldayoff didn't make resigning Glass a priority in the off-season. I liked the way he played for us last year, and thought he played an important role - perfect 4th line energy guy and good penalty killer. I mean, if a cup contender in the Pens went after him and he plays decent minutes for them and kills penalties I don't understand why the Jets thought it would be okay to let him walk IMO.

I believe glass was statistically one of the worst penalty killers in the league last year.

this is a common misconception, glass was a brutal penalty killer.

I personally don't understand why the pens signed him.

Myzie19

Sep 26, 2011
Statistics don't always tell all. The penguins have had a pretty consistently good penalty kill for a handful of seasons now, and they wouldn't place Glass on the PK if they thought he was no good (because they certainly have other players to do that). Difference of opinion I guess.

Beazley

Duke of the Dale
Oct 2, 2008
Winnipeg
I don't think we'll miss Glass at all. He has hands of stone. I think PIT signed him simply because Asham was no longer there.

Myzie19

Sep 26, 2011
I don't think we'll miss Glass at all. He has hands of stone. I think Philly signed him simply because Asham was no longer there.

Glass wasn't on the Jets for his hands. He was on the jets to play physically, bring energy and kill penalties. You don't need good hands to win a battle in the corner or block a shot.

p.s. Glass was signed by Pittsburgh, not Philly.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't miss Glass, but in Tanners defence he's a fourth line guy that was asked to play on the third line. That's a failure on the Jets part.

I do think he sucked on the PK though, in fact too often when the GST line was one the ice 5x5 it looked like a PK.

Beazley

Duke of the Dale
Oct 2, 2008
Winnipeg
Glass wasn't on the Jets for his hands. He was on the jets to play physically, bring energy and kill penalties. You don't need good hands to win a battle in the corner or block a shot.

p.s. Glass was signed by Pittsburgh, not Philly.

It's all relative. There are guys out there IMO who bring the same phyiscal and energetic presence while also being able to contribute in other ways. Glass was all alone in front of the net with the puck a few times last year and I think he did manage to get a shot off on one occasion. :naughty:

As posted previously, statistically Tanner Glass was a brutal PKer we had and the weak link in all facets on the GST line. I didn't see him bringing much else to the table other than energy and the odd fist. Both of those characteristics are dime a dozen IMO.

Plus he didn't like our booing so he had to go. :laugh:

PS.I realize that (as you can see in post 30) t'was just a typo which I fixed. ;)

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Glass was all alone in front of the net with the puck a few times last year and I think he did manage to get a shot off on one occasion. :naughty:

Similar to 55 this year? No one jumps on him.
A fourth liner does it, he's a bum.

I'm really not defending Glass, he IS a bum. But knocking him for not scoring is silly.

Myzie19

Sep 26, 2011
I don't think both the Canucks and Penguins would have offered him a contract if he was as bad as you're saying. Both are extremely competitive teams with GMs who would not sign players to make their teams worse.

PLayers play within a system on the PK and the whole Jets PK system was rotten. I don't think you can say one player was the weak link.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I can see the Jets winning this one by a large margin with 1 player carrying the majority of the offense.

I won't say who for now, you'll all have to wait for the GDT for that.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I don't miss Glass, but in Tanners defence he's a fourth line guy that was asked to play on the third line. That's a failure on the Jets part.

I do think he sucked on the PK though, in fact too often when the GST line was one the ice 5x5 it looked like a PK.

exactly. Statistically glass was bad at the PK, and IMO, he looked terrible at it too.

There seems to be some thought taht he was good at it simply because he was out there a lot. A lot of PK minutes doesn't necesarily mean he's handling them well, it was more a lack of options for Noel then the strength of glass's game.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I can see the Jets winning this one by a large margin with 1 player carrying the majority of the offense.

I won't say who for now, you'll all have to wait for the GDT for that.

I'm on the edge of my seat...
My money is on Peluso?

Beazley

Duke of the Dale
Oct 2, 2008
Winnipeg
Similar to 55 this year? No one jumps on him.
A fourth liner does it, he's a bum.

I'm really not defending Glass, he IS a bum. But knocking him for not scoring is silly.

I didn't knock him for not scoring. I knocked him for not getting a shot off. :sarcasm:

Anyway, that is not my point. My point is that he brought nothing to the table other than some energy and that can easily be found elsewhere IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad