GDT: Jets vs Habs (April 3rd, 6:30pm) - "In the City"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
When comparing current to previous seasons (prior to 1999-2000):
- Wins and losses in shootouts become Ties.
- OT losses become Losses.

Subtract 4 wins from shootouts, add 4 ties.
Subtract 8 OT losses, add 8 losses.

So that gives the 2017-18 Jets an adjusted W-L-T record of 45-28-6, 96 points (.608) in 79 GP.

The 84-85 Jets 1.0 team had a record of 43-27-10, 96 points (.600) in 80 GP. So the current team has more adjusted wins, and the same number of points (in fewer games).

But the WHA Jets had a couple of teams that rank higher:
The 75-76 Jets had a record of 52-27-2, 106 points (.654) in 81 GP.
The 77-78 Jets had a record of 50-28-2, 102 points (.638) in 80 GP.

Also, the 76-77 Jets had a record of 46-32-2, 94 points (.588) in 80 GP, but 1 more win than this year's Jets.
Why do OT losses become losses? I'd treat all regulation ties as ties. 3v3 OT is only slightly less gimmicky than the SO.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Looked up the literal translation of the French version of the anthem... totally different than the English.

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/canadian-national-anthem-%C3%B4-canada-french-version-o-canada.html#ixzz5Bd8ZXcpE

O Canada!
Land of our ancestors
Your brow1 is adorned with glorious jewels!
For your arm knows how to bear the sword
It knows how to bear the cross!
Your history is a saga
Of the most brillant exploits
And your valour, made out of hardened2 faith,
Will protect our homes and our rights
Will protect our homes and our rights
  • 1. Lit.: Your forehead.
  • 2. Or 'tempered', as in 'tempered/hardened steel'.

It was in fact a French song first, written in 1880 and originally called "Chant National", and is still largely the same lyrics. There was not an English version until 1908, when there was a magazine write in contest. The winner was not widely accepted and a version by Robert Weir was instead. In fact the original (accepted) English version by Weir had no religious references and used the term "thou dost in us command" instead of "in all they sons command", so the recent controversy of changing it to "all of us command" is pretty superfluous.

Edit: Does anyone else remember having to stand and sing "God Save The Queen" at the end of the school day pre 1981? I believe because Oh Canada was not our official anthem until then?

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Funny thing is I grew up speaking French (as a second language) and I had to sing this every morning, but since I learned it at such a young age I just memorized the sounds and never paid attention to the individual lyrics, so to this day I can still sing it but still don't know the words.

Same here and then once we started doing the whole True North thing for Jets games I was like waaiiiit a minute that's not in the French version. Sacre bleu!! :laugh:

See how much hockey teaches us about our country? :D

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They are a very fun board! Lots of funny lads over there, entertaining, great GDTs and gifs.

As related aside, I think we have an awesome board too, our GDTs are among legendary tier (remember the BDTs?) compared to some GDTs on the (entire HF boards) forum. We have that in common with the Habs board.

haha naw - another fun fact - there were 2 iterations of the english canadian anthem, the first one was a more direct translation of the french anthem but it didn't sound right, and I think it was 10 years later they revisited the english anthem and rewrote it to sound more like the french anthem but had to modify the lyrics...and this is the current national anthem

Not quite. We have just had yet another PC rewrite of the lyrics. This is the 3rd one I can remember. I no longer know what the words are. :laugh: Too old to learn the changes.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wins > Laine goals.

Both would be nice, but wins take priority.

A quick look shows that the Habs haven't beat a playoff team since Feb 3.

TBH, I don't really care much about the W at this point. But I do want all our guys to play well. I'd like to see Mase pitch a shut out, Laine with at least a hat trick, Ehlers and Connor hit 30, MP get another. Little needs one as do Lowry and Stas. I guess that plus a few more goals scattered around would probably get the W. :sarcasm: :laugh:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Edit: Does anyone else remember having to stand and sing "God Save The Queen" at the end of the school day pre 1981? I believe because Oh Canada was not our official anthem until then?

Yep. Slow and sedate. Hard to inject a True North into that one, but I'm sure it could be done. :laugh:

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our TRUE NORTH Queen...,

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Why do OT losses become losses? I'd treat all regulation ties as ties. 3v3 OT is only slightly less gimmicky than the SO.
OT losses were not distinguished from regulation losses until 1999-00 when the league introduced the loser point.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
27o6ay.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It was in fact a French song first, written in 1880 and originally called "Chant National", and is still largely the same lyrics. There was not an English version until 1908, when there was a magazine write in contest. The winner was not widely accepted and a version by Robert Weir was instead. In fact the original (accepted) English version by Weir had no religious references and used the term "thou dost in us command" instead of "in all they sons command", so the recent controversy of changing it to "all of us command" is pretty superfluous.

It became the official national anthem in 1980. God Save the Queen was the Royal Anthem of Canada, and AFAIK it still is. When I was in elementary school we opened the day with one and closed the day with the other.

I still much prefer The Maple Leaf Forever as a national anthem. We used to sing it in school on remembrance day. It was an unofficial national anthem during WW I. Once we adopted the Maple Leaf flag, it seemed like a no brainer to me. But nobody asked me. :laugh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It became the official national anthem in 1980. God Save the Queen was the Royal Anthem of Canada, and AFAIK it still is. When I was in elementary school we opened the day with one and closed the day with the other.

I still much prefer The Maple Leaf Forever as a national anthem. We used to sing it in school on remembrance day. It was an unofficial national anthem during WW I. Once we adopted the Maple Leaf flag, it seemed like a no brainer to me. But nobody asked me. :laugh:
I imagine Quebec never really warmed up to the Maple Leaf Forever...

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...

I thought I've been around for a while, but I don't remember this song at all. I remember God Save The Queen in school, but not this song. Not sure if it's any better than Oh Canada TBH :laugh:

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Oh yes... it was Oh Canada in the morning and "God Save the Queen" before dismissal. To this day, I love the sound of "God Save the Queen" because it means that school is out !! :laugh:

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB

I remember singing “God save the Queen” until I was in grade 2 in 1988-89

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I imagine Quebec never really warmed up to the Maple Leaf Forever...

I believe that was the reason. The first verse might cause a little trouble. :laugh:
Don't even need to rewrite it. Just delete it. The rest is fine.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Pumped to watch the NHL debut of The Flow tonight :) Hopefully he plays with Buff and gets minutes on the PP

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I thought I've been around for a while, but I don't remember this song at all. I remember God Save The Queen in school, but not this song. Not sure if it's any better than Oh Canada TBH :laugh:

Quebec didn't like it - for obvious reasons. Delete the entire first verse and it is fine. Much more up tempo tune and doesn't just keep repeating "We stand on guard", although they did eliminate quite a few of the repetitions some years back. :laugh: The O Canada lyrics, the English ones at least, have always been awkward, at best. I've always found it best to not think about them. Just sing by rote. That's why these changes mess me up. :laugh:
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
mumble mumble
mumble mumble
mumble mumble
we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
mumble mumble
O Canada,
we stand on guard for thee.

Status
Not open for further replies.