Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs Blackhawks - February 6 - 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
What's the record with any lead in the 3rd? Games with a multiple goal lead at any point in the game? The after 2 periods stat could be kind of misleading given the number of tied games after 2.

In any given game both teams likely have held the lead at some point. So both teams have blown leads and made comebacks. In a game that goes into the 3rd tied and the 3rd ends tied. Did one team blow a lead and did one make a comeback? It can get a little ridiculous arbitrarily picking your point in the game to decide when a game is a comeback and when is it a blown lead statistically. The NHL tracks at obvious breaking points. End of First and end of second. For me the end of 2nd is more meaningful.

On the season the Jets are 19-1-5 when leading going into the 3rd.

And 0-14-3 when trailing going into the 3rd (dead last).

Before the all star break we went 5 games in a row holding onto a 3rd period lead. Last week after the all star break we had 3 games in a row where we trailed going into the 3rd and were unable to come back.

IMO it is perception. Earlier in the season we played a tighter defensive game and leads seemed safer. Now it is more of the fire drill late in the game reminiscent of past seasons. Also blowing a lead is more painful then failing to come back in a game. So it sticks out for us.

A bigger question is why no one is worried about our ability to come back in games? Something we are much worse at then holding leads. The ability to fight back in games is also one of the hallmarks of successful playoff teams.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but why on earth would Maurice play Byfuglien at forward...ever. He's been an elite offensive defenseman that logs a ton of minutes. He was widely ineffective earlier in the year as a forward, then made the all-star team as a defenseman. What's the rationale here? Do you anticipate that he'll play more forward down the stretch? I know he's said he hates playing as a forward.

Actually, Maurice was playing Buff at forward always. It was when four of our starting Dmen went down that he moved him back. At least that is my recollection.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but why on earth would Maurice play Byfuglien at forward...ever. He's been an elite offensive defenseman that logs a ton of minutes. He was widely ineffective earlier in the year as a forward, then made the all-star team as a defenseman. What's the rationale here? Do you anticipate that he'll play more forward down the stretch? I know he's said he hates playing as a forward.

Think we're finally starting to see the warts and flaws in Maurice as a coach. Some questionable personnel decisions early on, bit of a mess with the goaltending, sticking with Harrison when there were better options, inability to get a handle on taking tons of costly penalties, needless change in the D pairings, taking Buff off D in a critical game...there is a reason the guy has worn out his welcome more than just a couple of times!

PS. Didn't like his demeanour a few games back where he was rocking back in forth hitting the glass behind him like a disturbed person, not exactly a cool collected coach.

Last edited:

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
can we agree that this is the real test? :sarcasm:

might be much to hope we knock off the hawks once again, but I'll take a strong effort by everyone involved and a close result. and hope we build off that.

chaos4

Mr.Scratch
Jun 1, 2013
winnipeg
G4Poq70l.jpg

This is great:laugh:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Think we're finally starting to see the warts and flaws in Maurice as a coach. Some questionable personnel decisions early on, bit of a mess with the goaltending, sticking with Harrison when there were better options, inability to get a handle on taking tons of costly penalties, needless change in the D pairings, taking Buff off D in a critical game...there is a reason the guy has worn out his welcome more than just a couple of times!

PS. Didn't like his demeanour a few games back where he was rocking back in forth hitting the glass behind him like a disturbed person, not exactly a cool collected coach.

Hardly a coach around that hasn't worn out his welcome a couple of times, Sutter, Hitchcock, Laviolette, etc.

Calm, cool and collected? Quenville is a ****ing nut job, seems to work for him. Maurice is a choir boy compared to that guy.

I agree with the personnel stuff though, I don't get most of them and none of them have met with much success, stubbornness and needless tinkering.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@MitchPeacock1: Evander Kane not on ice for practice this morning. Jay Harrison in non contact jersey. #NHLJets #cbcmb

@saraorlesky: With no Kane right now, Byfuglien is still up at forward

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
1) We better win this game
2) Kane better not be traded
3) Kane better play
4) Buff better go back to D

:help:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

I must be getting old and senile because I don't remember what early-season personnel decisions were questionable. You mean Buff on forward?

In what way do you think the goaltending "mess" is on Maurice? I'm as anti-Pav as anyone, but when Chevy didn't trade or buy him out off-season, I don't see what else Maurice could have done than what he did. I think easing Hutchinson into the role rather than throwing him to the wolves as starter immediately was a good plan. It worked very well up to the All Star Break. I don't know what the heck has happened since then, but I don't see that anything Maurice did as precipitating the poor performances post ASG.

Penalties ... yeah, could be something there. Although I think the aggressive style they play will unavoidably lead to more penalties. But yeah the unecessary penalties need to be cut down.

I think taking Buff off D against the Canucks was defensible. Under the circumstances, he would only expect Kane to be out one game, and Buff was -- while not as good as he's been on D -- pretty decent in my opinion when he was on forward. Seems the best solution without a callup in my opinion. And Buff has been sliding back into old bad habits since the All Star game whereas he was playing inspired hockey when first returned to D. So this may have served a dual purpose of giving Buff a wakeup call and motivation to play the way he was pre-ASG. I'm good with it. Would have done the same myself.

No coach is perfect. I'm not trying to say Paul Maurice is. I just saying I'm still very happy with how Maurice has improved this team with very little change to the roster since he took over the bench. On the whole, I think his positives outweigh his negatives.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Need to put a player on waivers or make a trade to open a roster spot first.

I can't imagine we're all that attached to every single one of our sitting out D's. Or you take the chance on exposing Galiardi (if that can be done), since no one is biting anyways.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I can't imagine we're all that attached to every single one of our sitting out D's. Or you take the chance on exposing Galiardi (if that can be done), since no one is biting anyways.

Galiardi just cleared waivers.

If they retro-IR Harrison, they should be able to bring someone up, no?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Jerking Buff around from F to D is not a great way to get him to resign

Nor is a good use of personnel, Buff had been playing great on D and was the Jets best D man for a good stretch. What team doesn't carry an extra forward especially when it takes anyone down on the farm 8 days to get here.:help:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
So who do you guys think should have played on the 3rd line with Kane a last-minute healthy scratch if not Buff? Just seemed like making the best of a bad situation to me. And if it inspires Buff to play up to his pre-ASG level so much the better.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
This is funny pomo barely plays the 4th line they could have easily went it with 11 forwards and double shifted someone.

Instead the genius pisses off another player.

I dont lik this one Chi should be looking to pay us back for the previous performances.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
So who do you guys think should have played on the 3rd line with Kane a last-minute healthy scratch if not Buff? Just seemed like making the best of a bad situation to me. And if it inspires Buff to play up to his pre-ASG level so much the better.

I agree. But that was an emergency situation. If they have lead time on that situation they should get an extra F in.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Nor is a good use of personnel, Buff had been playing great on D and was the Jets best D man for a good stretch. What team doesn't carry an extra forward especially when it takes anyone down on the farm 8 days to get here.:help:

This is an underrated element to all of this and it speaks to Chevy's management abilities. Not having a thirteenth forward on the roster to be able to insert in emergency situations (whether it's disciplinary scratches or last minute injury/illness) was always playing with fire and a poor risk/reward calculation. You have three scratches each night because of roster sizes and to have all of them be defacemen is beyond foolish, especially as Chevy was apparently going to try and do it indefinitely.

I recognize that Chevy is perfectly happy to steal from me every game he allows Pavelec to start. I'm just surprised that he isn't called out more and more for the decisions he makes (or, more accurately, is too scared to make) that routinely cost this team points. Running with only 12 forwards on the roster is clearly one of those, in my mind.

If he is waiting for the perfect trade in order to move a 7th (or 8th...or 9th) defence man, then, I hate to break it to him, it won't happen. Having the roster flexibility with a forward available is worth more that getting a 6th, rather than a 7th round pick.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I agree. But that was an emergency situation. If they have lead time on that situation they should get an extra F in.

Oh yes, definitely.

And it seems to me that the 4th line hasn't been horrible and playing them a few more minutes would give much-needed rest to the top three lines. The failure to roll four lines is definitely scaring me and making me wonder if they'll have enough in the tank down the stretch. Or if the 4th line is that bad then for heaven's sake make a trade or some callups to make them more playable.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS

yep - and like someone else said, it's not like we can't double shift someone when our 4th line plays their 3 min per game ;)

of course I'm not sure who they bring up. O'dell or Klingberg? Does that expose them to waivers on the way back down and does it matter since we potentially lose them in the off season anyways? John Albert would probably be a safe call up I guess.

Last edited:

Jml78

Dec 14, 2013
YYZ
If this team plays Buff at forward again and Pardy on D instead of calling up a forward they deserve to lose. It is quite clear the dumpster fire of Galiardi, Peluso, Thorburn, Halsichuk, and Slater are incapable of providing the needed offence and they need to at least try someone from the rock who has more offensive talent. Nevermind the fact taking Buff off defence takes away even further from the offence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad