Post-Game Talk: Jets vs Avs | The Good, The Bad, and The Buff

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
I have a horrible feeling that this won't even be the worst we see of Avs this season.. I mean the whole barely .500 stretch we've been on. Don't hold your breath for PO hockey

Something is just not there. They need something to spark the team.

i agree, and the something that's not quite there is goaltending. varly has been decent, but he's just not playing to the elite level the avs would need to make the playoffs. frankly, i was hoping to see him take his game to the next level this year, but he just doesn't make the saves when the team really needs them

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I guess Avs don't have to win another game the remainder of the season as long as teams chasing them lose every game too.

Avs are very lucky to still be in playoff picture because Wild, Yotes and Stars are losing too

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
i agree, and the something that's not quite there is goaltending. varly has been decent, but he's just not playing to the elite level the avs would need to make the playoffs. frankly, i was hoping to see him take his game to the next level this year, but he just doesn't make the saves when the team really needs them

What? Going into tonight Varly was 3-0-3 with 2.10 GAA and .938 Save % in his last 7 games and those numbers no doubt improved after tonight. Is he supposed to perform better than that? No he doesn't have a .980 save % and 1.00 GAA anymore, I guess.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
What? Going into tonight Varly was 3-0-3 with 2.10 GAA and .938 Save % in his last 7 games and those numbers no doubt improved after tonight. Is he supposed to perform better than that? No he doesn't have a .980 save % and 1.00 GAA anymore, I guess.

Varlamov has been playing amazingly consistent. Giguere is the one that's fallen off. That along with our offense and our most of our defense just can't handle all these minutes. Don't forget just how crazy good our PK was to start the season as well. We all knew that our roster wasn't elite but give the players credit, they're doing their best to keep the team competitive and alive.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Panther fan coming in peace. Just new as curious as to how a Mackinnon has been playing. How has he been defensively? Also it seems his scoring has slowed down until recently , has he still been noticeable when hes not scoring ? I was hoping we would land him in the draft, however I am more than satisfied with how Barkov has played.
Thanks guys

What do you mean scoring has slowed down until recently? He started the year slow but was piling up assists. Now he's scoring goals more frequently and is up to 22 points and second in rookie scoring. Do you ask because Barkov scored tonight? MacKinnon scored tonight too. He's been fantastic, a difference maker on almost every shift. The whole team is in a bit of a funk right now, so I wouldn't say anyone has played remarkable offensively or defensively. He's getting better defensively. I do not think he's out of place on the top line though many prefer him at center over wing. He improves every week, hasn't even sniffed a hot streak yet. He's a very exciting player who feels like he's just on the verge of a break out. I couldn't be happier with him.

Last edited:

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
I guess Avs don't have to win another game the remainder of the season as long as teams chasing them lose every game too.

Avs are very lucky to still be in playoff picture because Wild, Yotes and Stars are losing too

They are 23-11-4. They deserve to be in the playoff picture.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
What do you mean scoring has slowed down until recently? He started the year slow but was piling up assists. Now he's scoring goals more frequently and is up to 22 points and second in rookie scoring. Do you ask because Barkov scored tonight? MacKinnon scored tonight too. He's been fantastic, a difference maker on almost every shift. The whole team is in a bit of a funk right now, so I wouldn't say anyone has played remarkable offensively or defensively. He's getting better defensively. I do not think he's out of place on the top line though many prefer him at wing over center. He improves every week, hasn't even sniffed a hot streak yet. He's a very exciting player who feels like he's just on the verge of a break out. I couldn't be happier with him.

Who prefers him at Wing over Center? Center is his natural position, he can't be moved back there soon enough in my opinion. If PAP isn't seriously hurt and Tanguay comes back I can't wait to see what a McGinn-MacKinnon-Talbot line could do, since that was what Roy had envisioned in the first place.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Who prefers him at Wing over Center? Center is his natural position, he can't be moved back there soon enough in my opinion. If PAP isn't seriously hurt and Tanguay comes back I can't wait to see what a McGinn-MacKinnon-Talbot line could do, since that was what Roy had envisioned in the first place.

It was a mistake, I changed it. Totally typed wrong. I prefer MacKinnon at center too. Unfortunately I'm not sure the roster will ever be healthy enough for that 3 scoring line idea to happen again.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I think the linesman ruled the play as if Mitchell was taking the puck inside our zone, which in fact it looks like (he takes it in with his skate).
It wouldn't be offside then.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
For God's sake - this.

The overreaction here is great. First big losing skid of the season and people are already hopping off and jumping on the tank.

The best part is this isn't even a losing skid. Roy said we just finished playing 19 games against Western Conference opponents and went 9-6-4. Points in 13/19 games...yet people are acting like the sky is falling. We've actually separated ourselves from Minnesota even more now. Just need Dallas to cool off a bit (which they will).

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think Avs have have had a 10 game streak where the team is below .500 all season. The sky isn't falling. It's where it always was. Sometimes you win close games and sometimes you don't.

For the most part Avs defense have been more solid in December than it was in October. They don't allow more scoring chances. Special teams and goaltending have cooled off a bit.

Jets played a stingy game. Avs played a stingy game. One semi-broken play decided the game.

Sometimes it feels like posters here feel like they have been robbed of complaining by all this winning, so after a game like this they make up for the times they couldn't complain and wildly overreact. Relax a bit. Avs will have a month here and there where they play .500 hockey. They're not good enough to avoid it. They still have plenty of things to work on. They probably should try to upgrade through trades. No one thinks Avs are world beaters. You guys aren't the only one realizing that this team is very much a work in progress. No one was seduced into thinking the hot start was anything but a hot start.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
They are 23-11-4. They deserve to be in the playoff picture.

But I don't like to look at it that way. I don't look at the record and say "Oh, it's ok. We can loosen up a little." No. What matters to me more is how the team is performing right now. And it doesn't look good enough IMO. The management has a lot of work on their hands, there's no denying that. It's their decision whether they want to get the most out of these players or look outside for replacements.

I'm against panic moves though. If the opportunity isn't there, you can't do much to help. They missed out on Hainsey. I can't believe they couldn't sign him. He would have improved this team...

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I hope Roy gives McGinn an extended look in the top 6. If you put him with people who can get him the puck, he'd still score. He's still shooting at over 10% this year, he just hasn't played with anyone who can get him the puck.

He can also add some much needed sandpaper to the top 6, which has looked too soft the last little while.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The problem with this game, and some of the others that they've lost (whether in regulation or OT) this year is that there are teams that they SHOULD be beating. Winnipeg is a team that this year's Avalanche should be beating, they shouldn't be going into the 3rd period tied at 0.

Little by little parts of the last 4-5 seasons are starting to show up in this team, and I think it's a tad concerning. I have no doubt that Roy can get them back focused, but work has to be done. If PAP is out for a while then that will no doubt hurt, not just because when he's playing well he's a GOOD player for us, but because now the likelihood of us making any moves to address the trainwreck that is our Defense will likely be put on hold.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This Avs team is still young and can't handle pressure because i've noticed, every time they talk about importance of certain situations, for example, they were talking about how important this 7 game home stand is, that it is probably the most important stretch of the season where they can pull away from the teams behind them.

Every time they put some kind of pressure on themselves, they come out flat and lose games, and it happens all the time with this team. Just shows the youth and the inexperienced and the young captain who at the moment doesn't provide the much needed leadership.

Maybe they shouldn't put any pressure on themselves and just approach every game like it's nothing, play loose and just have fun, i think they'll have better outcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad