Post-Game Talk: Jets vs Avs | The Good, The Bad, and The Buff

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
But I don't like to look at it that way. I don't look at the record and say "Oh, it's ok. We can loosen up a little." No. What matters to me more is how the team is performing right now. And it doesn't look good enough IMO. The management has a lot of work on their hands, there's no denying that. It's their decision whether they want to get the most out of these players or look outside for replacements.

No it's not ok but I don't expect them to perform better than the elite teams in the league. Chicago gets blown out 7-3, Chicago blows 2 goal leads in the final minutes, Chicago loses in OT. And this has all happened in the last 1-2 weeks. It's hockey. Watch the scoreboard for a week and it happens to every team every single night.

This is the team for better or worse. There isn't going to be some magic wand trade coming. They are not going to sell off a bunch of players. Either they are good enough to get a playoff spot or not, we don't know yet. I'm not deluded into thinking they are a great team, even during 14-2 I never thought that. Maybe Duchene, Landy, Varly, EJ, MacKinnon, O'Reilly, Stastny will be career losers not worthy of ever winning anything and that's ok. They are the Avs to me and I'll hope for the best even if I expect the worst.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Looks to me like Buff made contact with Varly before it even went in... Just me though.

Yup. Gloves right to the face. And he's standing in the crease too... I know that gets ignore all the time but isn't it technically against the rules?

EDIT: Just read all the rules and I didn't see any case where what Buff did would be considered legal. The only argument would be that he was pushed in which hardly happened.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This Avs team is still young and can't handle pressure because i've noticed, every time they talk about importance of certain situations, for example, they were talking about how important this 7 game home stand is, that it is probably the most important stretch of the season where they can pull away from the teams behind them.

Every time they put some kind of pressure on themselves, they come out flat and lose games, and it happens all the time with this team. Just shows the youth and the inexperienced and the young captain who at the moment doesn't provide the much needed leadership.

Maybe they shouldn't put any pressure on themselves and just approach every game like it's nothing, play loose and just have fun, i think they'll have better outcome.

I disagree they came out flat, they actually played the first pretty well. But otherwise I agree, I cringe every single time I see "big game" in print because that's usually a bad sign. Doesn't help the media can't get one freaking original question and they have to pump up "big game" in their interviews. After the last few years of despair I don't doubt they have a long way to go mentally. Has nothing to do with who is captain, he can't snap his fingers or have some magic words to say to make it all better. I'm sure they'd love to go out there and take it game by game, sounds great in theory. All the things said here after a loss no doubt goes through their heads tenfold.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
I think the panic is caused BY the hot start. Everyone has forgotten the last few years it seems.

I feel absolutely thrilled I can watch MOST of our games now and see a competitive team that can win on any given night and show me progress.

Even if we don't make the play offs, it wasn't one of my expectations this year anyway. These losing streaks happen to most teams. It's how we bounce back from them that matters. Besides.. It's not too late to steal McDavid. :sarcasm:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Not much to analyz. This game was given away literally by dumb ass Mitchell. I thought Varly looked sharp as ever, Mackinnon looked good, Landeskog looked drunk, Johnson had a solid game.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The thing I'm taking away from this recent poor play is that at least we are still finding ways to get a loser point, which is what good teams do. In years past we'd be discussing a 4 game losing streak where we didn't get a single point. At least this losing streak is still yielding a few loser points.

Every team is no matter how good they are, are going to have streaks where they don't play well. Bad teams like the Oilers just lose games and get nothing to show for it. Teams like Chicago, LA, St Louis etc they might have 4 game streaks where they don't win but at least they get some loser points, which are what the Avs are doing right now.

Hopefully Roy can right the ship, quickly and get us back to playing some solid hockey.

Huis Clos*

Not much to analyz. This game was given away literally by dumb ass Mitchell. I thought Varly looked sharp as ever, Mackinnon looked good, Landeskog looked drunk, Johnson had a solid game.

The team as a whole only mustering one goal receives no blame?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Once again we failed to score on any of our sustained pressures, putting us in a hole and helping the Jets just continue to play their game. Mitchell makes mistakes like that every game and some people like to make excuses for him, but when he isn't scoring he is less than useless.

Truth be told, we lost that game ourselves. Varly and EJ tried to bail us out. The rest of the defense played ok, Sarich was pretty poor (I remember a few times he just stood there instead of skating after the puck). The offense was playing too pretty instead of just shooting and crashing the net. A few times we had good chances and no one was in position for the rebound.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
This isn't a panic move, but I would honestly like to see O'Reilly go back to Center. Landeskog hasn't really been going, and O'Reilly looks like a passenger most nights. Just put these two back together and watch the magic. They're both at their best when they're hounding the other team on the forecheck, and neither guy seems to be getting the chance.

Stastny-Duchene-MacKinnon
Landeskog-O'Reilly-McGinn

is what I would like to see. If Stastny is to be kept, he would be going to the wing eventually, so I don't see why they wouldn't try it. Stastny would probably benefit from being taken out of a checking role too.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
This isn't a panic move, but I would honestly like to see O'Reilly go back to Center. Landeskog hasn't really been going, and O'Reilly looks like a passenger most nights. Just put these two back together and watch the magic. They're both at their best when they're hounding the other team on the forecheck, and neither guy seems to be getting the chance.

Stastny-Duchene-MacKinnon
Landeskog-O'Reilly-McGinn

is what I would like to see. If Stastny is to be kept, he would be going to the wing eventually, so I don't see why they wouldn't try it. Stastny would probably benefit from being taken out of a checking role too.
Please make this happen.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'd prefer to see our depth return and one of our centers go back to the 3rd line. We only have 2 dangerous lines to defend right now. Put ROR or MacK back at center, spread out the lineup a bit.

ROR - Duchy - Talbot
Landy - Staz - McLeod
McGinn - MacK - Malone
Bordy - Mitchell - Cliche

But, we'll probably stack the lines instead and screw up the 3rd line with Mitchell.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So, what's your solution?

Leave everything as it is, and hope for the best?

That would be my suggestion. Easily.

Its not like we've been getting blown out in every game recently. Yes we got blown out by CHI, but that was more from a terrible performance from Giggy then anything else.

We've lost 3 extra time games to perennial power houses in LA and SJS, and a fellow bubble playoff team in Winnipeg.

Obviously it would be nice to have gotten the extra point in at least 1 of those 3 games, but its not like we lost 5-0 in every game.

We've hit a rough patch where the bounces aren't going our way. This happens to every single team over an 82 game season.

Theres no sense to change anything drastically when were still 23-11-4 and holding down a playoff spot(Something this team shouldn't even have right now in the first place).

Changing things up on a constant basis with a team as young as the Avs can actually cause more damage then good. The team needs to stay status quo for an extended stretch to actually develop chemistry with one another.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
It will be interesting to see what comes of bringing up Malone, I wonder if tangs is coming back soon as he is not skating yet! In the back of my head I fear we may see some monster trade.. Sure hope not.
I was thinking about all the former top six forwards not in nhl, Wolski Svotos mueller just off avs, must be more than 20 in ahl Europe and Russia. Just pondering possible moves... Not saying we want Wolski etc
The pre trade jitters is what I've got, nothing like a few wins to calm me

Go avs

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Bordy...
“It’s a joke. Totally on purpose, because he celes (celebrates), punches, and celes again. Cheap shot. No one saw it until we were in the gym and we saw it on the replay, and saw Varly try to stick him. We’re going to take care of that next game. You can’t do that to our goalie, especially when the game is over you know?â€
:laugh:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Something tells me Bordy won't be fairing too well against Buff.

This is Big Buff we're talking about here. Bordy got cleaned against Gazdic, I'd hate to see what Buff does to him. Especially if it's angry Buff

member 116861

Something tells me Bordy won't be fairing too well against Buff.

This is Big Buff we're talking about here. Bordy got cleaned against Gazdic, I'd hate to see what Buff does to him. Especially if it's angry Buff

That was the first fight I have seen Bordy clearly lose in the NHL. I think he would kick Buff's ass.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
That was the first fight I have seen Bordy clearly lose in the NHL. I think he would kick Buff's ass.

Buff is big enough and strong enough that he would just wrestle Bordeleau to the ground. I don't think Buff would fight him in the first place. Terrible tradeoff.

I think what is more likely is that Bordeleau crashes the net, and then fights Peluso.

I wish the Avs still had Stewart. He could go let Trouba know that if he wants to be throwing around elbows to guys like MacKinnon, then he is going to have be throwing around his fists too.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The problem with announcing you're going to do something is that it's the best way to ensure nothing happens since the league will be all over the team before the next game.

Just because you take a number doesn't mean you have to announce it to the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad