Speculation: Jets upcoming cap crunch

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Bridging Connor and trading Trouba for a cheaper, lesser player isn't really ideal though. Losing Trouba definitely makes them worse.

7 might be more realistic, but I don't see him signing for much lower. If he gets 8 years, I think 7.5 will be pretty close.
But as you have shown, you can't keep everyone. So trading a high priced guy, for a cheaper, lesser one with upside is the best outcome for the future for them.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yikes. Did not know Perreault has 2 years remaining following this one.

Might be tough to move.

He's on a decent deal. A team going cheap and rebuilding could take him just fine. He's paid a bit too much for what the Jets are using him for but he could fit into a few teams' middle six. Especially as Chevy will not want to take back salary and Perreault won't command a high-end prospect.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Ok, so Myers is gone, but how can you sign Laine, Connor and Trouba?
Definitely some trades to be had.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He's on a decent deal. A team going cheap and rebuilding could take him just fine. He's paid a bit too much for what the Jets are using him for but he could fit into a few teams' middle six. Especially as Chevy will not want to take back salary and Perreault won't command a high-end prospect.
Makes sense.

Would he be able to play 3C minutes and maybe 2C minutes on a weaker team? Maybe similar to what Bozak was doing with the Leafs when they were a weaker team?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think he gets more but I didn't want to get torched for being a Leaf fan who is "bias against the Jets" so I went low on all the salary guesses.

Why would you be torched?

Laine earning over $10M means he must have scored a lot of goals. There will be a couple odd men out in Winnipeg's cap crunch, I don't think it's any secret to anyone at this point, Jets fans included.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Watch that number be closer to 10.25m

Which is not fair, but young players are out of hand with contracts
Why? To me if you are getting their most productive years you should pay them for their productivity. Especially in a hard cap league. Means that there is less for the non elite players like how the nfl operates.

The elc contract performances provides each team a level of confidence about how likely they are to hit their ceiling. Rantanen put up 84 in year 2 and is well on pace for over 100 this year. If the Avs sign him for 6-8 years when he’s 22-28/30 isn’t that when you pay him rather than hope that paying guys very well into their mid to late 30’s works out?

Game has changed. Now that size isn’t as major a factor and the new rules with slashing the hands the young guys don’t need to be fully filled out to be productive. They can play at 170 odd pounds and do very well. Thus they put up big numbers and can show their worth sooner.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Hopefully they can keep their players together I think I’d laine takes a discount at 10.5/11 then it’s possible with maybe a trade involved somewhere there.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What's the story with Winnipeg's cap moving forward?

According to capgeek, they have:

56.3 million signed
23.1 million in space

Unsigned:

Brandon Tanev (U)
Andrew Copp
Patrik Laine
Kyle Connor
Nicolas Petan
Brendan Lemieux
Mason Appleton
Jacob Trouba
Tyler Myers (U)
Ben Chariot (U)
Nelson Nogier
Cameron Schilling (U)
Laurent Brossoit

How will this play out?

Right away I see three big contracts, with estimates around:

Patrik Laine - 10 million
Kyle Connor - 7.5 million
Jacob Trouba - 7 million

That leaves around -1.4 million if the cap stays the same. However, we've heard projections around 83 million, which would give them 2.1 million to sign the other 10 players.

I might have the numbers wrong, so please educate me.

2G for $7M

On D...
Morrissey and Niku under contract and resigning nogier for combine $5M
Trouba for $8M
Buff and zkulikov unde contract for $12M
Another D for $1M

D/G for $33M

With forwards 8 under contract for $34M

For their 5 RFAs..3 don’t get much in terms of raises and the fill another spot for $1M so the 4 combine for $5M.

They have $71M committed with Laine and Connor to sign. If the cap is $82M that gives them $11M.

If they could get someone to take Liitle off their hands( unlikely) they would have room.

They may need to trade Ehlers for cheaper ELC players and prospects/picks.

They need 9 for Laine and 6 for Connor . They need to unload 5M .

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I like the salary cap but feel bad for some teams that basically get screwed by the cap by drafting unbelievably

Yes I am talking about you Winnipeg!!

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Don't think they re-sign Myers. He's pretty bad and not even worth 5.5 now. Trouba I imagine they'll trade for another RFA dman with upside but less proven. Little chance Connor commands that much either unless he's getting max term and even then probably not. Tanev and some of those RFAs should be getting short term value contracts.

No idea what Laine's contract will look like. Anything from 8-11 million AAV could be possible but if(when) he hits 50 goals it's definitely going to be over 9. I like Bryan Little but I'd be trying to move on from that contract earlier rather than later.

Everyone knows Trouba doesn’t want to play for the Jets, just like Nylander didn’t. So they’ll get penny’s on the dollar for him, unfortunately.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
I disagree. Losing Myers, Perreault and Kulikov won't hurt but save cap space.

The $23.1 million in projected space ($26.6 million if the $83 million cap estimate is correct) already includes Myers gone in that space. You still have to fill the roster spots with someone. $26.6 million with 10 open roster spots (at least 7 for the playing roster). If Perreault and Kulikov walk you're up to $36.4 million for 12 spots. Laine, Connor, and Trouba are going to be between $20 million and $24 million leaving $12.4 to $16.4 million for 9 spots. That's almost half your roster earning an average of $1.4-$1.8 million.

It's certainly doable, but both the Leafs and Jets cap situation is going to be very interesting next summer.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Don't re-sign Myers, he's not worth anything, trade Perreault. Figure out if you can re-sign Trouba, if not trade him. Sign Connor and Laine and the rest are either minimum contracts or easily replaceable players.

Isnt losing Myers and Trouba kind of a big problem?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
It’s going to get real tight in Winnipeg with the Connor, Laine, and Wheeler contracts coming up this season. Then they have to decide what to do with Trouba/Myers. Then next year it’s the Morrissey contract.

Players have been taking discounts in Winnipeg for awhile here so many Connor and Laine will follow suit.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Everyone knows Trouba doesn’t want to play for the Jets, just like Nylander didn’t. So they’ll get penny’s on the dollar for him, unfortunately.

Maybe. He's still a valuable asset as an RFA that I could see some teams giving up something of worth for, especially if there's more than one team bidding. Him not wanting to play in Winnipeg certainly doesn't help his value but it might not hurt it all that much either. Personally find him to be kind of overrated so I don't think losing him creates as big of a hole as some do.

Reactions: mavis

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Laine will probably get more than 10m but Connor probably less than 7.5m maybe more like Nylander type money? Myers gets moved along surely, Jets would rather hang on to Trouba but that could come done to cost of contract between the two. Then expect to see a good forward flipped for a slightly cheaper Dman.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Connor's floor is the Nylander contract. So 7M not out of the question with inflation. You could argue he has been better than Nylander if he finishes with 70+ points. 7m would be a steal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad