Jets to play Heritage Classic in Regina

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
The good thing coming out of this is that it tests the hockey market in Saskatchewan, which could mean it could open the door into bringing a team to Saskatchewan, more specifically Saskatoon, maybe an AHL affiliate for that team in Regina.

Baby steps lets see if they could get and support AHL hockey first, but like Dax says they need a bigger population in Saskatoon, filling Mosiac once ever 2 weeks is great 41 NHL dates and prices is a completely different animal.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The good thing coming out of this is that it tests the hockey market in Saskatchewan, which could mean it could open the door into bringing a team to Saskatchewan, more specifically Saskatoon, maybe an AHL affiliate for that team in Regina.

Junior hockey is entrenched in Saskatchewan and the NHL/AHL will not play around with that since they develop most pro players for basically nothing.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Looks like this will be a Jets "home" game.

Glad I had the experience of the 1st one, but I will be okay watching this one on TV. Also don't mind losing a home game, this will keep ST prices down by 2.5%, so should be close to a wash with the annual price hike.

Reactions: blues10

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I have it on good authority that these will be the jerseys worn =D

Atlanta-Edge-Home-NHL_Jersey.jpg
hwl

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Glad I had the experience of the 1st one, but I will be okay watching this one on TV. Also don't mind losing a home game, this will keep ST prices down by 2.5%, so should be close to a wash with the annual price hike.
Is this for sure? I actually thought they'd still charge us for 41 games regardless because we're kind of at their mercy when it comes to pricing.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

hwl

No disrespect intended Scheifele55 but I'm sceptical about that. It's unlikely that in focusing on Canadian heritage that they would have something American taking center stage. The franchises may have been a result of relocation but the roots of hockey in Canada for both Winnipeg and Calgary is what will be the main factor.

:jets

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Is this for sure? I actually thought they'd still charge us for 41 games regardless because we're kind of at their mercy when it comes to pricing.
They didn't last Heritage classic. My understanding is all Heritage classic games are owned by the NHL and they reimburse the home team accordingly.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
They didn't last Heritage classic. My understanding is all Heritage classic games are owned by the NHL and they reimburse the home team accordingly.
Well that's alright then! I didn't really check on this last time, I just assumed the worst. :laugh:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

hwl

I have it on good authority that all outdoor games suck. :naughty:

Honestly, as someone posted... think about the optics...

An NHL game hosted in a Canadian city, two Canadian teams playing, a celebration of Canadian hockey, and the NHL chooses to honor that by having the two teams wear the jerseys of an American city that lost it's franchise to relocation... TWICE! If Bettman OKs this... he might as well get on a plane after the game, fly to Atlanta, stand on the corner of Mitchell Street and Central Ave outside their city hall, and yell as loud as he can... " We are never coming back ".

Sorry, IMO you just don't do that. Imagine the Coyotes making the Jets 1.0 jersey their 3rd jersey and wearing it for half a season.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I have it on good authority that all outdoor games suck. :naughty:

Honestly, as someone posted... think about the optics...

An NHL game hosted in a Canadian city, two Canadian teams playing, a celebration of Canadian hockey, and the NHL chooses to honor that by having the two teams wear the jerseys of an American city that lost it's franchise to relocation... TWICE! If Bettman OKs this... he might as well get on a plane after the game, fly to Atlanta, stand on the corner of Mitchell Street and Central Ave outside their city hall, and yell as loud as he can... " We are never coming back ".

I should CLARIFY... it was just a joke =D Someone made a post referencing the fact that both franchises moved from Atlanta.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
They've had a few games in Saskatoon already. I think they know what the market is like. But the # of people is just not where it needs to be in Saskatoon yet for it to make the NHL comfortable. The love of hockey is definitely here and I think the corporate footprint is getting better. Mosaic, K+S, Brandt, SaskPower, SaskTel, Cameco.
We just need Saskatoon to hit 400,000+ before the NHL will even look into it.

I have been to Saskatchewan plenty of times, I just want Saskatchewan's population to rise up a lot one day because that province truly is one hidden gem. Like Saskatoon supports the Rush really well, and Saskatoon has some of the friendliest people I've ever came across in Canada and is probably one of the most unique cities I've ever seen. No offense to Regina anyway. But I find Potasch is their biggest thing, you can not miss those big potasch fields on the highway.

When I was last in Saskatoon, I was thinking they could build a giant arena next to Midtown.

By the way, that AHL comment meant if they support this Saskatchewan AHL team well, I just don't know where else would be a good location for their AHL team.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
I'm kind of surprised the Jets are the home team for this game. Two years in a row not playing the full 41 games at home.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I have been to Saskatchewan plenty of times, I just want Saskatchewan's population to rise up a lot one day because that province truly is one hidden gem. Like Saskatoon supports the Rush really well, and Saskatoon has some of the friendliest people I've ever came across in Canada and is probably one of the most unique cities I've ever seen. No offense to Regina anyway. But I find Potasch is their biggest thing, you can not miss those big potasch fields on the highway.

When I was last in Saskatoon, I was thinking they could build a giant arena next to Midtown.

By the way, that AHL comment meant if they support this Saskatchewan AHL team well, I just don't know where else would be a good location for their AHL team.

The only downside is WHL hockey would likely die in those cities. Though that may pave the way for places like Estevan and Weyburn. Yeah I work at one of those big potash mines on the highway. :DD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad