Post-Game Talk: Jets stumble Helle humbled Jets lose 7-5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think this post is very accurate. That's exactly how I see him, as he gets in close proximity of the net.

Beyond this though, for a waiver wire pick-up, he's been excellent (yes, excellent) at keeping plays/drives alive. I've been very impressed with his cycling, and he can push through on multiple attempts without tiring. There was a sequence last night in the 3rd period, where he was making things happen, twice dished it off to Nate Schmidt, and twice Schmidt **** the bed.

He offers pretty good utility too. I have no problem with his positioning within the defensive schemes on the PK. I'm sure there aren't many NBA fans here, but he reminds me of Jud Buechler with The Bulls during Jordan's 2nd 3-peat; a spark off of the bench. A guy who's probably not good enough to stick in the league, but somehow has a moment or two in a game, that can change the momentum; even though he makes close to no dent in the box scores.

He's one of the most likely cuts, but I can see why Rick Bowness likes him.

Yup. The guy is missing a little something. That's why he was a wire guy.

But in the playoffs I'll take a guy who goes to the net over a perimeter guy any day. Not a lineup mainstay, but he plays the right way and has some tools.

Reactions: Dale53130

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Examine the remnants of the player that was Blake Wheeler:

I thought Blake had adapted his game this year to find a really successful new version of himself. Then his nuts were obliterated into space dust and the toughest man on this team had to take some significant time off.

His return vs Vancouver was straight up pathetic. His early shifts in this game were completely awful. He did have some good shifts and that is promising. The 2-1 and 3-1 almost saw me break my TV they were so bad. When Scheifele passed to Wheeler on the 3-1, I screamed at the tv as I could feel that there was no chance we were scoring. Plus I knew that meant momentum was going the other way and the puck was in our net.

As frustrated as I was with Wheeler the fact that he showed some improvement from the last game is a good sign. Perfetti definitely looked more confident. Things will get better quickly and we can get back to enjoying wins.

P.S. our zone entries on the PP were some of the worst of all time.
Let's give Ol' One Nut a little time to get his legs back

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Examine the remnants of the player that was Blake Wheeler:

I thought Blake had adapted his game this year to find a really successful new version of himself. Then his nuts were obliterated into space dust and the toughest man on this team had to take some significant time off.

His return vs Vancouver was straight up pathetic. His early shifts in this game were completely awful. He did have some good shifts and that is promising. The 2-1 and 3-1 almost saw me break my TV they were so bad. When Scheifele passed to Wheeler on the 3-1, I screamed at the tv as I could feel that there was no chance we were scoring. Plus I knew that meant momentum was going the other way and the puck was in our net.

As frustrated as I was with Wheeler the fact that he showed some improvement from the last game is a good sign. Perfetti definitely looked more confident. Things will get better quickly and we can get back to enjoying wins.

P.S. our zone entries on the PP were some of the worst of all time.

Harsh. I thought Wheeler was fine and much better. His hands are a bit rusty from the lack of gametime but he moved well out there and found himself in dangerous positions to generate scoring chances. Hands rust will be shed in due time. That line if guilty of overpassing, so it's not just Wheeler.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Harsh. I thought Wheeler was fine and much better. His hands are a bit rusty from the lack of gametime but he moved well out there and found himself in dangerous positions to generate scoring chances. Hands rust will be shed in due time. That line if guilty of overpassing, so it's not just Wheeler.
Sure but Wheeler literally lost a puck on a 2-1 without being checked at all. Completely flubbed the 3-1. I get that his legs need time and the speed of the game but some of these mistakes are on plays where he has no one forcing him, he’s not being rushed and he still loses the puck. Wheelers puck handling skills have always been an adventure. He made up for it with his big motor, speed, size etc… passing is usually his thing. When you see him flubbing easy passes which is his strong suit it gets more frustrating. If he was whiffing on a one-timer I’d be less worried.

But like I said there was some signs of improvement within that game. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that he can get back to his pre-injury form which in many ways was a more valuable player to the team than the previous few seasons where he was racking up points but playing really bad in other areas of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad