Post-Game Talk: Jets stumble Helle humbled Jets lose 7-5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hate to say it but this loss is on Helly, not bitching about him because this doesn't happen often but after the first 10 minutes this game was all Jets and if Helly plays even close to his normal we win this game. Play like this on most nights and we win so i'm not too bothered, lets win next game though.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The Jets were definitely too loosey goosey with the puck, part of that being down 3 had them taking chances all night but we saw the same stuff against Vancouver.

The difference was Rittich closed the door in the third, but Helle couldn't.

Its hard to be mad though as obviously 37 has been incredible this year. I said when people were recommending Rittich get the Van game that Hellebuyck really doesn't come back strong off of extended rest and it proved true.

What I loved about the game was the Jets never say die attitude. They fought until the last whistle and that spoke volumes to me.

I wonder if the team getting healthy has the team relaxing their defensive attention to detail, thinking they can outscore their mistakes. When they had key offensive players out, they bought into the notion that scoring was going to be hard and focused on prevention.

A key moment was when Lowry tried to get cute on the pk and it ended up in our net.

Let's hope that they return to focusing on their systems and structure, and making lower risk plays in the key areas of the ice.

Every team has games like these, but I'm not worried at all.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Still would try Ehlers with Schief and Perfetti, I think they'd benefit a lot from the space Ehlers can create and I don't think Dubois and Connor need him as much. Wheeler with those two?
Yeah I think that could work. Even though Wheeler definitely doesn't have his hands back yet I thought he had some really good board play with Schiefele, I'm not sure how he fits in with 81 and 80.

I think picking up a top 6 winger could be great for Blake. We could fashion a easy matchups 3rd scoring line (maybe with Stenlund and Barron) and then have a really effective shut down line with Lowry Big Sak and Apples.

That's 4 lines that can all beat their matchups and all have some scoring punch.

That could be the best balanced forward group we've ever seen here.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Still would try Ehlers with Schief and Perfetti, I think they'd benefit a lot from the space Ehlers can create and I don't think Dubois and Connor need him as much. Wheeler with those two?
I would go Barron-Lowry-Wheeler.

Won’t score a lot but will cycle around the O zone and keep the other team from scoring.

Pull Gagner up into the top six for a little bit.

Reactions: Buffdog and hn777

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah I think that could work. Even though Wheeler definitely doesn't have his hands back yet I thought he had some really good board play with Schiefele, I'm not sure how he fits in with 81 and 80.

I think picking up a top 6 winger could be great for Blake. We could fashion a easy matchups 3rd scoring line (maybe with Stenlund and Barron) and then have a really effective shut down line with Lowry Big Sak and Apples.

That's 4 lines that can all beat their matchups and all have some scoring punch.

That could be the best balanced forward group we've ever seen here.
I still think grabbing Toews at the deadline would work really well here. If you wanted you could put Toews up with Scheifele for faceoffs then play wing or Scheifele plays wing and then move Wheeler to the 3rd line like you say.

Reactions: Jet

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Next practice, give Wheeler a bucket of pucks and a goalie shooter tutor, and tell him he doesn’t get his McDonalds until he snipes every last one himself.
His shot is too weak at the best of times. It was his passes which stunk last night, which is out of character for him. He also looks slower than usual. Hopefully he’ll heal soon.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I still think grabbing Toews at the deadline would work really well here. If you wanted you could put Toews up with Scheifele for faceoffs then play wing or Scheifele plays wing and then move Wheeler to the 3rd line like you say.
I don’t know how the salary cap situation would fit into that.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don’t know how the salary cap situation would fit into that.
Ya it would be tough but wouldn't the Jets just be paying a small portion of the contract because it would be at the deadline? Toews would be someone that knows what it takes to win in the playoffs and being from Winnipeg might really get his juices going trying to win a Cup in Winnipeg.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Helle had an off night. Everyone has them. The encouraging bit is that they fought back to 6-5 impressively.
The Ehlers-Dubois-Connor line looks like it's ready to break out in a significant way. Perfetti-Scheif-Wheels look to become pretty dominant as well as Wheeler gets his wheels back under him. There may not be a team in the league with a top six this good if they are healthy. D zone coverage needs to be cleaned up again though.

Reactions: Jets 31 and hn777

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm fine with a loss......but this team has looked disorganized for the last 5 or 6 games. They were extremely fortunate to pick up points.
Keep in mind they were severely short handed, had illness, played 16 games in 30 days including an west coast and east coast back to back with a home game wedged in (essentially another road game). They also didn't have a practice practically the entire month of December. Then you add in holidays and family stuff.

You can see why they may have lost a bit of the structure and attention to detail they were building.

I think that this road trip will help the guys get back on track. I have a ton of optimism

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I would go Barron-Lowry-Wheeler.

Won’t score a lot but will cycle around the O zone and keep the other team from scoring.

Pull Gagner up into the top six for a little bit.
That was one of the line combinations that got scored on yesterday, for whatever reason. It's going to take a few more games for Wheeler to get into his rythym, and hopefully he gets the balls back to go hard to the net. I'm kind of disappointed in Perfetti as a shooter. Scheifele is feeding him some grade A chances he just doesn't have the finish.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
1673453228932.png

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That was one of the line combinations that got scored on yesterday, for whatever reason. It's going to take a few more games for Wheeler to get into his rythym, and hopefully he gets the balls back to go hard to the net. I'm kind of disappointed in Perfetti as a shooter. Scheifele is feeding him some grade A chances he just doesn't have the finish.

Have to wonder if the back injury impacted his ability to work on his shot in the summer. It's not as powerful as I remember.

Anyhow that is one area he needs to work on this offseason. Good news is he gets to the right spots to shoot from which is step 1.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
They would have to retain most of it. My Jets wish list is the resigning of PLD, Scheifele and Hellebuyck. If we can do that, l will be happy. Although Toews could be a very interesting piece for the playoffs.
A team can only retain 1/2 of the salary, but by the TD approx 3/4 of the season has been played so you are only talking 1/2 of a quarter of his cap hit.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
They need a shooter on the line - other than Scheif.
Need more than one option -

2 guys on the line who are better known for their passing -
As some have noted, might make sense to move Ehlers to that line -
But then you have Wheels with PLD / KC - and I'm not sure he will fit well with their game that is based on constant motion - and i don't want that line screwed up by driving a round peg into a square hole.

I guess this supports the need for another winger . . .

Reactions: hn777 and Jets 31

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Have to wonder if the back injury impacted his ability to work on his shot in the summer. It's not as powerful as I remember.

Anyhow that is one area he needs to work on this offseason. Good news is he gets to the right spots to shoot from which is step 1.
He's an intelligent enough player to see the ice the same way Scheifele does, and find those shooting areas. Not a lot of practice time right now, but it's an area he will need to improve on, if he wants to be one of the big guns. Scheifele pacing for almost 50 goals takes some of the pressure off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad