Post-Game Talk: Jets stumble Helle humbled Jets lose 7-5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I would go Barron-Lowry-Wheeler.

Won’t score a lot but will cycle around the O zone and keep the other team from scoring.
They will cycle it around until they lose control of the puck. And when it comes to racing down the ice to catch an opponent, Wheeler is one of the slower Jets. If you can't keep up with the play, you'll have less chance to keep the other team from scoring.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He's an intelligent enough player to see the ice the same way Scheifele does, and find those shooting areas. Not a lot of practice time right now, but it's an area he will need to improve on, if he wants to be one of the big guns. Scheifele pacing for almost 50 goals takes some of the pressure off.

I do think we undervalue just how hard it is to score on NHL goalies. It seems most young players have to go through a pretty big learning curve with regards to how to finish on NHL tenders.

His draft contemporaries other than Stutzle aren't fairing that much if any better then him in that regard so far:

Stutzle 18 goals

Laf 5 goals
Raymond 11 goals
Jarvis 6 goals
Lindell 4 goals
Quinn 6 goals
Mercer 10 goals

He's pretty much tracking right in line with most from a goals perspective. Holtz and Quinn are also primary goal scoring players which should show you it isn't easy to come in as a rookie/young player and finish.

I think we forget that the lethal finisher Scheifele scored 13 and 15 goals in his first two seasons in the league before taking off.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Weak start - again. No D, shaky goaltending = loss to bad team.

That's 2 of those in a row, even though we won the first one just by outscoring them.

Stop the bleeding Bones.

call it score effects, but after a poor 1st the Jets dominated the game from thereon out.

Small consolation.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Yes, that play just screamed ...."Shoot, shoot, shoot, you _____________!" (I couldn't come up with a Kanadalainenian alliteration.)
..."you scrabbling side-of-beef-faced holy-rolling processor-challenged pterodactyl-screeching jacobian-matrix partial derivative-buggering cheese-wasting toad-flusher"?

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Weak start - again. No D, shaky goaltending = loss to bad team.

That's 2 of those in a row, even though we won the first one just by outscoring them.

Stop the bleeding Bones.

Small consolation.
I liked how we played, didn't like our start and lets face it that was Helly's worst game of the year easy. Just can't come out flat like that, this i totally agree with.Last year we are probably losing 7-1 so i'm not totally down about this game. I did like our fight to try and win so i'm chalking this up as a doesn't happen often game from Helly and lets win tomorrow.:thumbu:

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
In front of his friends and family - I think sometimes you think long game and try to avoid that if you can. Maybe after the 4th if it was in any other city?

If Bowness cares more about Helly playing in front of friends and family than he does winning the game then he shouldn't be coaching. I don't think Helly's friends or family were too impressed with him allowing 6 goals on 22 shots. They probaly would have pulled him if they could have.

Reactions: rkp and hn777

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If Bowness cares more about Helly playing in front of friends and family than he does winning the game then he shouldn't be coaching. I don't think Helly's friends or family were too impressed with him allowing 6 goals on 22 shots. They probaly would have pulled him if they could have.

It's not about his friends or family being impressed with his play it's about the embarrassment of being pulled in front of your friends and family. I dunno, I think in most situations you'd pull him after the 4th (I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on a bad 1st period), but in reality it's a road game, out of conference, 1 of 82, you're not necessarily in the thick of a fight to get a playoff spot, plus Helle's been rock solid all year, maybe you give him a bit of a leash in that one.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Kuhlman continues to prove that he is completely missing the part of a player related to scoring goals.

I think 3 times in the last two games he’s been in a great position to knock in a loose puck… except…
He’s been bent over with his helmet in the defenders stomach with his stick pushing on their shins.
He sort of looks like a triangle or maybe a pylon.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's not about his friends or family being impressed with his play it's about the embarrassment of being pulled in front of your friends and family. I dunno, I think in most situations you'd pull him after the 4th (I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on a bad 1st period), but in reality it's a road game, out of conference, 1 of 82, you're not necessarily in the thick of a fight to get a playoff spot, plus Helle's been rock solid all year, maybe you give him a bit of a leash in that one.

I'm sure the coach asked if he wanted to stay in and left it to Helle.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Examine the remnants of the player that was Blake Wheeler:

I thought Blake had adapted his game this year to find a really successful new version of himself. Then his nuts were obliterated into space dust and the toughest man on this team had to take some significant time off.

His return vs Vancouver was straight up pathetic. His early shifts in this game were completely awful. He did have some good shifts and that is promising. The 2-1 and 3-1 almost saw me break my TV they were so bad. When Scheifele passed to Wheeler on the 3-1, I screamed at the tv as I could feel that there was no chance we were scoring. Plus I knew that meant momentum was going the other way and the puck was in our net.

As frustrated as I was with Wheeler the fact that he showed some improvement from the last game is a good sign. Perfetti definitely looked more confident. Things will get better quickly and we can get back to enjoying wins.

P.S. our zone entries on the PP were some of the worst of all time.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I liked how we played, didn't like our start and lets face it that was Helly's worst game of the year easy. Just can't come out flat like that, this i totally agree with.Last year we are probably losing 7-1 so i'm not totally down about this game. I did like our fight to try and win so i'm chalking this up as a doesn't happen often game from Helly and lets win tomorrow.:thumbu:

I liked the fight to try and win even after the bad start. Helle wasn't at his best but there were defensive breakdowns too. Some of those DRW goals were pretty easy by the time they went in. Maybe that is partly because of having to sacrifice D for O to come back.

Earlier in the season they were starting fast. If they are not pressing for that 1st goal then they at least need to tighten up defensively in those first 5-10 minutes.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016

How about the embarraament of 6 goals on 22 shots? Either way he was embarrassed. Or should be.

Reactions: hn777

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
No way no how.

He probably talked to him between periods and Helle said hell no!

You don't mess with a goalie having his kind of season.

I agree. Helly is having a fantastic season. But evey goalie has a bad game and you could tell from the very first goal that Helly was off. Coaches don't ask goalies if they want to be pulled because every goalie would say hell no. It's Bowness's job to give the team the best chance to win and last night he failed to do that.

Reactions: Guardian17

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Helle does not like to be pulled even when he is having a bad game. Maurice was pretty open about him and Helle having an understanding that he won't pull Helle under normal circumstances. I am sure Bowness is just carrying on that understanding.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I agree. Helly is having a fantastic season. But evey goalie has a bad game and you could tell from the very first goal that Helly was off. Coaches don't ask goalies if they want to be pulled because every goalie would say hell no. It's Bowness's job to give the team the best chance to win and last night he failed to do that.
Easy to say that in hindsight

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Helle does not like to be pulled even when he is having a bad game. Maurice was pretty open about him and Helle having an understanding that he won't pull Helle under normal circumstances. I am sure Bowness is just carrying on that understanding.

Probably, though I don't think that's necessarily something Bowness would continue. I think it being in Detroit was a factor, whether it was Bowness making the call or Hellebuyck himself.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Kuhlman continues to prove that he is completely missing the part of a player related to scoring goals.

I think 3 times in the last two games he’s been in a great position to knock in a loose puck… except…
He’s been bent over with his helmet in the defenders stomach with his stick pushing on their shins.
I think this post is very accurate. That's exactly how I see him, as he gets in close proximity of the net.

Beyond this though, for a waiver wire pick-up, he's been excellent (yes, excellent) at keeping plays/drives alive. I've been very impressed with his cycling, and he can push through on multiple attempts without tiring. There was a sequence last night in the 3rd period, where he was making things happen, twice dished it off to Nate Schmidt, and twice Schmidt **** the bed.

He offers pretty good utility too. I have no problem with his positioning within the defensive schemes on the PK. I'm sure there aren't many NBA fans here, but he reminds me of Jud Buechler with The Bulls during Jordan's 2nd 3-peat; a spark off of the bench. A guy who's probably not good enough to stick in the league, but somehow has a moment or two in a game, that can change the momentum; even though he makes close to no dent in the box scores.

He's one of the most likely cuts, but I can see why Rick Bowness likes him.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You could also have what happened to Patrick Roy too i guess if you don't pull him. Tough situation last night with Helly, i hope Bowness asked him after the first period if he wanted to keep playing.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

AHL Kuhlma, geez why did the Kraken put him on waivers, uh maybe because he’s shi………

Reactions: macmaroon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad