Post-Game Talk: Jets Smash Preds 6-2

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Something my wife noticed, there was go preds chant, and it did not seem that anyone in the lower bowl were moving or saying anything.
Odd.

well it isn't that odd. I mean as of the 1 minute mark of period 3 the game was all but over. Our building gets pretty quiet when the game has gone south like that too...it's human nature. I get pretty tired of the boring refrain from the pbp/color guys during games when a team gets a lead and they start with "wow it is quiet now in this building!" I mean...d'uh.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I absolutely believe this is true--HF boards is just another media outlet. I did not say in my post that HF posts "dictate" policy--I said they "influence" Jet's policy. It only makes sense to me.

Example--if the Jets were having a really bad season--and the media was calling for the firing of the coach--it most certainly would affect Jets management. The public, and their sentiments--are "money" for the Jets. They have to pay attention to public opinion in order to keep butts in the seats. ( no exclamation mark needed here :))

Of course I don't mind you and me agreeing to disagree on this Guff --your a wise man.
I don't think HF Jets is very representative of the Winnipeg fan base. The everyday posters here are a small self selected grouping of the most fanatical fans, that want to think and talk hockey at every opportunity. Most of Winnipeg is just happy right now and enjoying the ride. I'm amazed at the shear volume of casual fans that have jumped aboard the train. Most of them have no interest in anything negative. They are embracing the story, the nice weather, wearing white and going to street parties.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
This series has emphasized the importance of Troubs on defense. If he doesn’t want to sign then I think I’d prefer we get a replacement defenseman for him in a trade rather use him to get a replacement center for Stastny.

Reactions: Ducky10

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I saw the third period live, but missed 1st and second. On the road this week, but will have to figure out a way to watch Mondays game.
I really liked the strategy to force their D from behind the net. Their top 4 all seem to like to set up shop, take a bit of a breather and then breakout. Breaking up this seemed to have them looking gassed by late in the game.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I agree that TSN is better then the CBC for hockey coverage but I give CBC kudo for having the 1st period intermission of the Caps and Pens game all about the Preds/Jets game.

If the Jets keep winning CBC will come around to acknowledging the best team in Canada.

Quick question: does anyone know who the President’s Trophy winner was this year? :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducky10 and Jet

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Ehlers and Laine can't be allowed to play on same line again. They are defensive zone train wrecks. Keep them split up.

Agree here. I believe some of our Finish friends have been saying this for awhile too, but Ehlers and Laine don't totally click IMO. Even back when they were lighting it up with Schief last year, they were the most one-and-done line ever, they just happened to score on a lot of those first chances. But they don't look great in any situation other than breakouts.

They also share similar bad habits so I'd prefer them playing with and learning from guys whose strengths match their weaknesses better.

Perreault / Laine seems like a really good fit to me.

Last edited:

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
I don't think HF Jets is very representative of the Winnipeg fan base. The everyday posters here are a small self selected grouping of the most fanatical fans, that want to think and talk hockey at every opportunity. Most of Winnipeg is just happy right now and enjoying the ride. I'm amazed at the shear volume of casual fans that have jumped aboard the train. Most of them have no interest in anything negative. They are embracing the story, the nice weather, wearing white and going to street parties.

This is a very good post. On every sports forum, not just HF Jets, the Dunning-Kruger effect is very strong, as the people who post on such forums mistake their fanaticism with actual knowledge. And before anyone gets mad at me for saying so, take note that I'm here, too. :)

The Jets certainly do market research, but they certainly don't do it by reading HF Jets. We give them no useful or even accurate information because we're a self-selected and very limited focus group. The market research the Jets do involves the community in general, and if they want to narrow it down, people at the games.

This is then combined with the well-documented fact that Jets management have had a long-term plan from Day One, a plan they have rarely strayed away from. They believe, I think, that they now have most of the pieces in place, and the coaches and GM are significant pieces. There is a 0% chance that anything we say here is going to have any influence on Maurice's (or anyone else's) future with the Jets.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

You make some good points Bogo -- but I still believe any type of media outlet, will get attention from the Jet's executive--including HF boards. They have to keep their finger on the pulse, and determine if their fan base is happy.

Notice--I did say HF boards "will not"--dictate policy or decisions--but will influence it.

It would be the same as if the Jets were having a terrible year, and all the papers and HF boards were calling for the coaches head--it would certainly get the Jet's management's attention, and they'd be very aware of this. They have to--"it's their business."

If I owned the Jets, and I was Chipman--I'd browse thru these threads--there are some very smart posters on here--like you--that have a lot of knowledge.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
When is the final Vezina voting? The outcome of our next game could determine the winner.

The final voting for all of the awards is actually done before the playoffs start, I believe, although I may be wrong. That's why playoff performance never has anything to do with who wins the awards, other than the Conn Smythe, of course.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Apart from all the cross checking the Predators defence seem to get away with, I think for the first time in a long time the refs favoured us last night, they let a lot of stuff go and frankly it made the game better..........................well of course it did we won the game ;)

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
You make some good points Bogo -- but I still believe any type of media outlet, will get attention from the Jet's executive--including HF boards. They have to keep their finger on the pulse, and determine if their fan base is happy.
Notice--I did say HF boards "will not"--dictate policy or decisions--but will influence it.
It would be the same as if the Jets were having a terrible year, and all the papers and HF boards were calling for the coaches head--it would certainly get the Jet's management's attention, and they'd be very aware of this. They have to--"it's their business."
If I owned the Jets, and I was Chipman--I'd browse thru these threads--there are some very smart posters on here--like you--that have a lot of knowledge.

HF boards don't even influence decisions with this team...thank God!

I sincerely doubt than any owner or manager of any team browses through fan forums, and I'd bet money that of all 31 NHL teams, Chipman is probably the least likely owner of them all.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Why the **** are we still talking about Hendricks?

I feel like your life would be a lot easier if you let go of trying to defend him :laugh:

Hendricks out, Perreault in and Perreault was awesome. You're going to get comments like this, and why not? Our lineup looked dynamite.

Full props to Maurice tonight for sure: good lineup, and he hasn't shied from making line changes either lately, a lot of which have been effective.

Reactions: Jets 31

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

I absolutely believe this is true--HF boards is just another media outlet. I did not say in my post that HF posts "dictate" policy--I said they "influence" Jet's policy. It only makes sense to me.

Example--if the Jets were having a really bad season--and the media was calling for the firing of the coach--it most certainly would affect Jets management. The public, and their sentiments--are "money" for the Jets. They have to pay attention to public opinion in order to keep butts in the seats. ( no exclamation mark needed here :))

Of course I don't mind you and me agreeing to disagree on this Guff --your a wise man.

Yes, I think the general noise of the fans through various outlets can influence a team over time.

I just don’t think Paul Maurice is trolling through dozens of pages between playoff games to say, “Yeah, maybe I should have played Perreault”. :)

Reactions: Exiled Jets Fan

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Presidents Cup,Presidents Trophy. Apparently when I’m half asleep I believe they’re the same thing.

no, I mean what point are you trying to make by sarcastically asking if anyone knows who won the Presidents Trophy?

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
And wow, does Rinne ever not look like himself. He's shaky as hell looking.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
fishgirl.gif

Is that a live catfish?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad