Post-Game Talk: Jets slip on an oil slick and run into a brick wall. Lose 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
How how does our coaching staff not recognize a really hot goalie and just plant a body in front of him on the PP? You think perimeter shots were beating that guy tonight?

No kidding. I've been saying this for a while now. We aren't the type of team that gets the fancy pass, pass, pass pp goals. We simply aren't. Get a ton of shots on net during the PP with a couple of guys in front and get some greasy goals. That's what we're built for. It's so frustrating to see every one of our PP players on the boards or the blue line. You're just not going to score from there.

We get what? A single shot or maybe two on a PP? We do a great job of passing it around the perimeter to kill the penalty for the opposition though.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It's embarrassing that Ladd is holding out for big term/dollars given his play. Let's get Armia up to the 3rd line with Ehlers(or Ladd) and Burmi. Thorbs can't keep up as witnessed again when Ehlers is all alone behind the Oilers net.

I don't know how many times Ehlers has an amazing rush up the ice, carries all the way into the O zone and is all alone. Not a single jet inside of the blue line. Get this guy some line mates.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
I've done it since last season, except for of course a break near the end of the season. Maybe I'll stop if it bothers people so much, I guess. I certainly don't mean it in any mean-spirited way in the least. It's more of a record than anything?

I certainly appreciate you posting the sv% in the PGTs. Please keep it up. :yo:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Well, I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I'm sorry that it annoyed some people.

I'll stop and someone else can take up the torch, I guess.

I felt like Buff was a non-factor tonight. Anyone else?

It doesn't annoy me, I actually like it.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
If Burmi and Ehlers are so great they should be able to elevate whoever is with them. Maybe we should stop worrying about who we can get to play with Burmi and Ehlers, and instead try to get them to play with others.

There is no chemistry on that line between anyone. Yes, none between Burmi and Ehlers too. It's three guys trying hard at their own game.

Bingo, when Ehlers was playing with Schief and Perreault, Ehlers looked pretty much like Kane (the dumb one) grab the puck in the D zone, skate it straight up the ice, take it around the net and fire it on goal from the boards, sure he caught a few goalies napping back in October but now they've all read that book.

Burmi and Ehlers are two guys who cant really play with anyone, one with great moves and deke's, no shot and no finish the other a guy with great speed, great shot and no finish.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Burmi is so freakin talented. I really want him to see him succeed. Imagine if those guys could finish...wow.

Yes, he has incredible talent for carying the puck and keeping the puck. If only he could find someone open at the same time or find a way to score doing it.

He is as good as anyone in the league for carrying the puck imo.

Maybe they just need to always have someone go to the net when he's on the ice and his go-to is to simply always shoot at the net?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes, he has incredible talent for carying the puck and keeping the puck. If only he could find someone open at the same time or find a way to score doing it.

He is as good as anyone in the league for carrying the puck imo.

Maybe they just need to always have someone go to the net when he's on the ice and his go-to is to simply always shoot at the net?

The problem is he almost never puts it on net either. He spends way too much time dipsy doodling on the perimeter.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
for those pumping Armia's tires:
can we please Vine that dump and chase where he dumped it into his own O corner and easily got beaten to the puck?
that was def a highlight

Saw that play but didn't comment on it at the time, more like dumped it to the corner, held back to avoid getting hit! Pretty sure Armia would excel in a non-contact league!:sarcasm:

Some commented that the 4th line looked good, say what? The GST line is still the best fourth line (sadly) this cheap outfit has iced to date.

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If you look at the Oilers second goal you will see Ladd drifting back into the zone. Don't know if he could have caught the play but there was a total lack of effort.

Not only was it a lazy backcheck, but on the previous rush he was standing still in the neutral zone with a lazy pokecheck attempt. He is very hard to watch right now. Chevy needs to do something, or PM needs to scratch him, which would certainly raise red flags and drop his value.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Tough loss. You outshoot and outplay a team that badly and you're going to win 9 out of 10 times. Well, last night was the 1 in 10. Disappointing, but that's professional sports.

The PP is still very weak and IMO something needs to change structurally there. I don't know what they were practicing all week, I'd just like to see a different goal than just feeding pucks to Buff. Setting up cross seam 1 timers would be nice.

On Ladd, I don't know what to think anymore. I worry on one hand about the team if we lose Ladd (maybe the returned pieces never become anything), and on the other hand I worry about the team if we keep him. At the money he wants, that kind of player needs to be a lot better than what we're seeing out of him now.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Not only was it a lazy backcheck, but on the previous rush he was standing still in the neutral zone with a lazy pokecheck attempt. He is very hard to watch right now. Chevy needs to do something, or PM needs to scratch him, which would certainly raise red flags and drop his value.

Something very odd is going on. If I was in Ladd's shoes, I would be working my MF ass off every single night to wring every cent out of what may be my last contract in the NHL.

Why is he playing like this? I don't get it?

Secondly, It's a sad way to run your team, when you won't put the players where they need to be because it will look bad. What other reason is there for allowing Ladd to play this way? Are we so afraid of the optics that we will let the entire team suffer for it?

It's very odd, and I can't figure it out.:help:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The problem is he almost never puts it on net either. He spends way too much time dipsy doodling on the perimeter.

Find it interesting how all the Burmi proponents have seemed to have disappeared into the woodwork, you know the guys who continually criticized myself and few others who saw early on that Burmi had plenty of flaws and would probably never be a scorer.

KANADA89

Sep 30, 2015
Ehlers line would improve their production by a mile, if Ehlers knew how to slow down the rushes. Sure, he's fast and takes the puck to the zone well, but you can't only blame his line-mates for being "too slow".

It's plain stupid just rush rush and rush, without any secondary support. Get to the zone, slow the play down and see the back-ups rushing in for you.

There you go, can I take Maurice's place now.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Something very odd is going on. If I was in Ladd's shoes, I would be working my MF ass off every single night to wring every cent out of what may be my last contract in the NHL.

Secondly, It's a sad way to run your team, when you won't put the players where they need to be because it will look bad. What other reason is there for allowing Ladd to play this way? Are we so afraid of the optics that we will let the entire team suffer for it?

Mo is a tough spot with Ladd, guy has to play if he is on the market, needs PP time and a lot of minutes if you want him to re-sign here but on the other hand Ladd is doing NOTHING to help this team win right now and at this point should probably be on the third line.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Tough loss. You outshoot and outplay a team that badly and you're going to win 9 out of 10 times. Well, last night was the 1 in 10. Disappointing, but that's professional sports.

The PP is still very weak and IMO something needs to change structurally there. I don't know what they were practicing all week, I'd just like to see a different goal than just feeding pucks to Buff. Setting up cross seam 1 timers would be nice.

On Ladd, I don't know what to think anymore. I worry on one hand about the team if we lose Ladd (maybe the returned pieces never become anything), and on the other hand I worry about the team if we keep him. At the money he wants, that kind of player needs to be a lot better than what we're seeing out of him now.

Agree with your assessment in the bold, but we seem to be beating the odds with the number of games where we outplay the opponent and still find a way to lose.
Edmonton last night.
St. Louis last week.
Philadelphia at home last month.
I think there might be others. We seem to be the anti-2014-15 Flames. They would get outplayed and still win; we outplay teams and lose. Weird.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Agree with your assessment in the bold, but we seem to be beating the odds with the number of games where we outplay the opponent and still find a way to lose.
Edmonton last night.
St. Louis last week.
Philadelphia at home last month.
I think there might be others. We seem to be the anti-2014-15 Flames. They would get outplayed and still win; we outplay teams and lose. Weird.

This likely makes it very hard on coaching and management. You're playing well so you don't want to change much, but you're not winning, so you need to make some changes?

Weird indeed.

Derfel*

I think he's injured - not anything that would stop him from playing outright, but some lingering pain (back? ribs? shoulder?) that keeps him from 100%. I think Wheeler is in the same boat.

It's like last year we had a ton of injuries that decimated our line-up, but this year we have guys that are hurt but have decided to play hurt instead of taking a week off or something.

Maybe that isn't the case, but there are some plays where you see Ladd or Wheeler pull up where they usually would drive in head first.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

I'm pretty sure every GM in the league already knows his value. I have reached the point where I will be pissed off if Ladd is re-signed, regardless of term or money. If he leaves as an UFA, I'll just chalk it up to getting fair value in return. :rant:

Yes, I know I'm not being very rational right now. Losing to the bloody Oilers will do that to me.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ehlers line would improve their production by a mile, if Ehlers knew how to slow down the rushes. Sure, he's fast and takes the puck to the zone well, but you can't only blame his line-mates for being "too slow".

It's plain stupid just rush rush and rush, without any secondary support. Get to the zone, slow the play down and see the back-ups rushing in for you.

There you go, can I take Maurice's place now.

That's often exactly how Ehlers does play. He uses his speed through the neutral zone to back up defenders, and then stops up in the offensive zone to make a play. Unfortunately, Burmi and Thorbs are so far behind the play that Ehlers' options are cut off by the defense before he can make a play. It's a style mismatch. Besides, Thorburn isn't going to help any line offensively. A lot of the other young rookies around the league are playing with at least one top linemate.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Ladd looks like he wants out of Winnipeg, Chevy has to trade him right after the xmas break . He used to stand in front of the goalie all the time , he scored alot of redirect goals in the past doing this . He looks horrible in 80 % of our games this year and has taken some really dumb penalties , we need alot more out of our captain !!

I think you might be on to something. Hard to blame him. This contract will be his last hurrah and he likely wants to land where there is a chance at success in the next few years before his career winds down. The Jets are not committed to winning in the near term - huge step back this year and lowest payroll. Looks a lot like a reboot / rebuild if / when Ladd and Buff go. Restart the clock, restart the D&D activity, could be another 5 years before there is another post season. Sorry but the players notice and talk about this stuff.

From this fan's perspective, I don't think it even makes sense to sign Ladd now. Buff, if you can keep the term reasonable, yes. Moderate overpay probably fine if you can keep him to 5 ish years. Ladd is more easily replaced than Buff. But honestly, I could see them both walking.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Find it interesting how all the Burmi proponents have seemed to have disappeared into the woodwork, you know the guys who continually criticized myself and few others who saw early on that Burmi had plenty of flaws and would probably never be a scorer.

I still like Burmi's game. His line doesn't score often, but they also don't give up many goals against. That's okay for a 3rd line, especially since they play quite frequently with Stuart and Chiarot.

See below... (from STL game, when Maurice controlled match-ups)...

View attachment 86677

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I still like Burmi's game. His line doesn't score often, but they also don't give up many goals against. That's okay for a 3rd line, especially since they play quite frequently with Stuart and Chiarot.

See below... (from STL game, when Maurice controlled match-ups)...

View attachment 86677

Ehlers has too much upside to be used in this way and with the guys he's with now, not saying Ehlers is ready for the first line, he isn't but he is being wasted with Burmi and Thorburn.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I don't know how many people still thought he'd be a scorer here. He had two seasons in the KHL with some pretty meh results...a league that's dominated by superstars like Brandon Bochenski and Nigel Dawes. I'd certainly hoped he'd find his offensive game at some point, but it looks like it's just never going to click for him. He's a decent role player, killing penalties, drawing penalties and fun to watch. If you cotton to more of a Pelusian North/South chip and chase game, then I guess you can replace "fun" with "frustrating"... :laugh:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Ya, I don't know, but the pattern I see is that Ladd will go hard one length of the ice per shift.....maybe 10 seconds of effort? Is that a cardio/injury thing? Very hard to say, but when you hear him talk you get all the standard lines and just a dis-engaged type of vibe that rubs me the wrong way. Yes we are hard on him, but when you wear the C and you're asking for 41M$ people expect alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad