Post-Game Talk: Jets slip on an oil slick and run into a brick wall. Lose 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think you might be on to something. Hard to blame him. This contract will be his last hurrah and he likely wants to land where there is a chance at success in the next few years before his career winds down. The Jets are not committed to winning in the near term - huge step back this year and lowest payroll. Looks a lot like a reboot / rebuild if / when Ladd and Buff go. Restart the clock, restart the D&D activity, could be another 5 years before there is another post season. Sorry but the players notice and talk about this stuff.

From this fan's perspective, I don't think it even makes sense to sign Ladd now. Buff, if you can keep the term reasonable, yes. Moderate overpay probably fine if you can keep him to 5 ish years. Ladd is more easily replaced than Buff. But honestly, I could see them both walking.

Maybe this is some kind of career ju-jitsu, where Ladd plays so poorly he'll be affordable by cap-pressed contenders? The way things are going he'll be signing a Jokinen deal in July. $4.5M x 2 with the Hawks?

Then Buff signs with Colorado and we'll still get to see them both a few times each season... :sarcasm:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I don't know how many people still thought he'd be a scorer here. He had two seasons in the KHL with some pretty meh results...a league that's dominated by superstars like Brandon Bochenski and Nigel Dawes. I'd certainly hoped he'd find his offensive game at some point, but it looks like it's just never going to click for him. He's a decent role player, killing penalties, drawing penalties and fun to watch. If you cotton to more of a Pelusian North/South chip and chase game, then I guess you can replace "fun" with "frustrating"... :laugh:

I think Burmi left with some bad habits and simply developed more while over there. Could take awhile to remove them all. That's just my theory though. And I think giving up on him less then half season back is premature personally.

Derfel*

I think you might be on to something. Hard to blame him. This contract will be his last hurrah and he likely wants to land where there is a chance at success in the next few years before his career winds down.

Ladd has two Stanley Cup rings. I don't think "success" is that big of a deal to him late in his career that he'd be actively looking for a strong team over a better paycheque and/or fit for him.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't think Ladd is playing poorly because he wants out or he's distracted by his contract. He's not the first to be in this situation and he won't be the last, and a lot of players don't let the contract thing affect them.

I think he's not the same since his injury, and is playing hurt. If he is playing through pain, it may be affecting his decision making as well.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Find it interesting how all the Burmi proponents have seemed to have disappeared into the woodwork, you know the guys who continually criticized myself and few others who saw early on that Burmi had plenty of flaws and would probably never be a scorer.

no one said he'd be a scorer. we said he'd be defensively responsible and creative which he's been for the most part this year.

That being said, he really needs to finish on some of these chances. I don't mind him and Ehlers together but maybe the Ehlers from 1 or 2 years later where he's become a better finisher.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Ya, I don't know, but the pattern I see is that Ladd will go hard one length of the ice per shift.....maybe 10 seconds of effort? Is that a cardio/injury thing? Very hard to say, but when you hear him talk you get all the standard lines and just a dis-engaged type of vibe that rubs me the wrong way. Yes we are hard on him, but when you wear the C and you're asking for 41M$ people expect alot.

That's really the point. He's the Captain, in a contract year, looking for big bucks.

He just doesn't look worth it. If he would take what he's worth, he would be pretty disappointed. I can't see paying him 6mm per year right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad