Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Marko Dano again (1y, 750K)

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Jets lost a number of "tweeners" - Griffith, Shaw, etc. A player like Dano is a replacement for that kind of deeper depth.
They needed to fill those spots and they did with a guy they know, a guy that knows the system or expectations, vs one that doesn’t.

I’m sure they don’t expect him to push for an NHL spot, at this stage, but can fill in when injuries happen.

I’m just surprised he’s still in NA, and isn’t in Europe or gone that route yet.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
If that's his AHL salary that's not a bad investment. Right now if you can get $150 000 to play hockey that's better than a lot of people are making out. Jets lost 3 guys who earned over $300 000 A salaries last year in Griffith, Shaw and Schilling. Comrie is guaranteed one way, so he'll be the highest paid, as it stands, going from $200 000 to $700 000. Unless Samberg and Niku flip places. Toninato is set to earn $350 000, and then it would be Dano at $150 000, Suess and Nogier at $100 000 each. All other players on NHL ELCs are guaranteed $70 000. I am not sure what a standard AHL contract pays. The bigger market franchises will bury more salary in their affiliates. With only 7/8 AHL forwards, there's probably room for another player or 2 at least, if there is to be an A this year.

Hope he does well in his 2nd chance. Glad he likes playing hockey in Winnipeg.

ive been saying for a while they need at least one more forward. Ideally someone on the Jets that can push Thompson down.

Reactions: mazmin

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
ive been saying for a while they need at least one more forward. Ideally someone on the Jets that can push Thompson down.
I personally think they got Thompson penciled in as the fourth line centre. Rightly or wrongly. Yeah they should sign another centre to push him down.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
I personally think they got Thompson penciled in as the fourth line centre. Rightly or wrongly. Yeah they should sign another centre to push him down.

There’s some quality players available still. The Jets should have around 2 mil at least to sign one or two.

I do agree with you though, Maurice loves his useless 4th line veteran who hurts the team more than he helps.

It’s frustrating even more because Shore was a great 4C last year.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Improves the Moose quite a bit and a good spare part for the Jets. I’m excited to see what kind of shape he’s in. This seems like his last chance to prove something in North American hockey.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
There’s some quality players available still. The Jets should have around 2 mil at least to sign one or two.

I do agree with you though, Maurice loves his useless 4th line veteran who hurts the team more than he helps.

It’s frustrating even more because Shore was a great 4C last year.
How many goals did Shore score for the Jets last year?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

If we rotate Perreault and Thompson as the 12th and 13th forward I have no problems. I am expecting Thompson to help us on the PK. I am not sure what to expect of Perreault.

I think that right now Ves-Gus-Reichel would be the top line on the Moose, and probably some combination of Toninato, Dano or Mc Kenzie with Suess as centre on the 2nd line.

Beyond that the forward depth for the Moose is still thin. I'd say the odds of Ryan White getting an AHL contract with the Moose, and a letter would be good as it stands if there is an AHL season. I don't know what kind of scramble there will be to sign players. I can see the Jets signing some 2 way contracts still to fill the Moose and depth, when there is more certainty.

With Griffith and Lipon gone, there's an opportunity for other players to get some PP time. Dano might be a player the Moose would count on for some offense, and the right situation and success might get him some games in the NHL. I'd consider Dano an upgrade on Bourque for forward depth.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
If we rotate Perreault and Thompson as the 12th and 13th forward I have no problem.

Yeah I think Thompson is a everyday player. I can see Harkins and Perrault switching in and out. Harkins should be groomed for the centre position I think he’ll do good there. Don’t see it happening with Thompson around. Unless there’s injuries.

nhlpro

Nov 12, 2015
Peg City
Yeah I think Thompson is a everyday player. I can see Harkins and Perrault switching in and out. Harkins should be groomed for the centre position I think he’ll do good there. Don’t see it happening with Thompson around. Unless there’s injuries.

I don't see sitting Perreault with his salary but I'm sure he will get hurt right away.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
I don't see sitting Perreault with his salary but I'm sure he will get hurt right away.
He’s become pretty ineffective. Last year of his contract. I can see it happening. Though he’ll still get his share of games.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Not always about goals for 4th line guys, though scoring one once in awhile would've been nice (looking at you, James Wright).
Unless you share his last name, 0 or 1 goals a year precludes you from being a "great 4C". Just my 2 cents.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Unless you share his last name, 0 or 1 goals a year precludes you from being a "great 4C". Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, he's not great but I don't look at goals as my primary state when judging 4th line guys.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yeah, he's not great but I don't look at goals as my primary state when judging 4th line guys.

That's just it. I think with Stastny this year you can easily ride 18 minutes out of your top 2 lines. 15 out of your checking line. Special teams are the primary factors in ice time. If you can get quality PK minutes out of your 4th line, I think you are just looking for neutral results 5 on 5 playing someone like Thompson for what 6-7 minutes ES, plus 2+ killing penalties. Coaching that way as opposed to 4 lines of attack is contentious, but I'll say that if you want to coach superstars, well they want to play, and that's where a coach doesn't have too much power.

If there is a lot of back to backs, it would be nice to see the talent more spread out. Maybe run the 2015 line along with Lowry-Copp and you have more balance. But less special teams depth, unless Roslovic or Harkins step up this year. I'd say Rosie deserves some looks, based on his skating.

I had to double check to see if I was in Thompson's or Dano's thread. For me Dano could be a decent replacement if and when Perreault goes down. He can play a stronger game. Has some net sense. I'd prefer to see some younger prospects get a chance first, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00