Confirmed with Link: Jets sign LW Axel Blomqvist

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ok I REALLY thought that this had to be done by the time the time the junior season started, but it looks like the Jets may have signed Blomqvist after all.

From a Swedish site.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/article17573380.ab
Here's nest Swedish to sign on for an NHL organization.
Hidden Ice Axel Blomqvist, 18, was awarded a three-year contract by the Winnipeg Jets.

They seem to be confused as well, as it states he will play for farm team, which is not possible (he must go back to Lethbridge).

Axel Blomqvist ‏@AxelBlomqvist 3h
So proud and happy to sign an NHL contract with the @NHLJets #dreamcometrue

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Ok I REALLY thought that this had to be done by the time the time the junior season started, but it looks like the Jets may have signed Blomqvist after all.

From a Swedish site.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/article17573380.ab

They seem to be confused as well, as it states he will play for farm team, which is not possible (he must go back to Lethbridge).

Interesting - I like the signing, if he truly signed. Has potential - might require a few years of nurturing, but not a bad player to take a longer-term flyer on. :nod:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

From a Swedish site.

It appears at least as if he did sign, according to my lousy internet Swedish translation anyway:

- It was a pure gamble and a fun thing for him to show himself, but he has done really well, says Blomqvist's Swedish agent Erik Ryman.
"Real Surprise"

Blomqvist said, including two goals in a game against the Edmonton Oilers. And now it's clear that the people of Skåne will remain in Winnipeg's organization.

- Yes, he has signed a three-year rookie contract with Winnipeg. It is a real surprise and a lot of fun for Axel. The idea is well that he should start in their farm team, says Erik Ryman.

Great find.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Oh that's sweet. Not too high of expectations, but as others have said, he's a project.

I had to burn a 2014 1st to make sure I got him in NHL 14 haha

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
It appears at least as if he did sign, according to my lousy internet Swedish translation anyway:

"And now it's clear that the people of Skåne will remain in Winnipeg's organization."

Great find.
Huh... I lived there 2 years ago, they couldn't have signed us all back then?

But yeah, you've got it translated correctly. His agent seems to be under the impression that Axel is starting in the AHL, don't know why. "The idea is probably that he's going to play for their farm team."

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

But yeah, you've got it translated correctly. His agent seems to be under the impression that Axel is starting in the AHL, don't know why. "The idea is probably that he's going to play for their farm team."

I'm thinking he was probably referring to starting in the AHL next season?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think he means that after junior he'll start his pro career in St. John's.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm thinking he was probably referring to starting in the AHL next season?

AFAIK, signing him is the same as drafting him...ie he cannot play in AHL until 20 years old or 4 years of CHL hockey. So it would not be until 2015-16 that he will be eligible for AHL play. I will confirm.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
And the plot thickens...

Gotta think where there smoke there's some sort of fire.
If an agent is commenting publicly either there is something there or he's not doing a very good job.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Hope this is true, he showed some nice tools in the rookie tournament. Wouldn't mind at all adding a project type prospect like Blomqvist. As others have said, after his showing, there really wasn't any reason not to sign him. Let's see how this plays out.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Never heard of him. The Swedish article seems to quote Blomqvist, but you would think he'd tweet about something like that :dunno:

Nope. Even if signed Blomqvist wouldn't be eligible for AHL for two more years, so I fail to see how.

The article quotes Blomqvist's Swedish agent, not Blomqvist himself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad