Confirmed with Link: Jets sign LW Axel Blomqvist

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Interesting, the way I read the rule it looked like they could technically sign him until tomorrow since he had been invited to training camp, but it seemed unlikely to me that they would release him prior to doing it.

Cool if true.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
I honestly cannot believe this. As someone who has seem him play lots, I am honestly shocked. I'm sure most of Lethbridge is as well. Maybe he had a really good showing at camp, because from what he's done in Lethbridge, he hasn't deserved this IMO.

Especially ones that are 6'5 or 6'6 and might have legitimate NHL potential.

What good is a 6'5" frame if he plays like he's 5'5"?

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I honestly cannot believe this. As someone who has seem him play lots, I am honestly shocked. I'm sure most of Lethbridge is as well. Maybe he had a really good showing at camp, because from what he's done in Lethbridge, he hasn't deserved this IMO.

What good is a 6'5" frame if he plays like he's 5'5"?

Its funny, I was going to post that he actually played big.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

Perhaps you just aren't watching him closely enough.

http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/65442

He scored the winner last night against Edmonton and was a beast all night; he was named third star of the game.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Perhaps you just aren't watching him closely enough.

http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/65442

He scored the winner last night against Edmonton and was a beast all night; he was named third star of the game.

I actually went to 15-20 games last year, and the only one game in Lethbridge this year. Funny you bring up last game, because in one of the previous games he was a healthy scratch.

Its funny, I was going to post that he actually played big.

See. I've never seen him play big, and is easily knocked off the puck. Even in juniors against players way smaller than him. This has always been my biggest issue with him.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I actually went to 15-20 games last year, and the only one game in Lethbridge this year. Funny you bring up last game, because in one of the previous games he was a healthy scratch.

That is cool; of course it isn't at all possible that a huge, once skinny, gangly kid grew into his body and looks better this year though. [/sarcasm]

I watched him run all over Moroz & Samuelsson last night; they were unable to handle him down low; Samuelsson even took a highsticking penalty against him out of frustration.

3rd star on a roadie.

Blomqvist also looked damn good scoring a couple against the Oilers prospects in Penticton last month; perhaps you missed that as well.
http://canucks.stats.pointstreak.com/gamesheet_full.html?gameid=2267477

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
That is cool; of course it isn't at all possible that a huge, once skinny, gangly kid grew into his body and looks better this year though. [/sarcasm]

I watched him run all over Moroz & Samuelsson last night; they were unable to handle him down low; Samuelsson even took a highsticking penalty against him out of frustration.

3rd star on a roadie.

Blomqvist also looked damn good scoring a couple against the Oilers prospects in Penticton last month; perhaps you missed that as well.
http://canucks.stats.pointstreak.com/gamesheet_full.html?gameid=2267477

Ok. You can make your opinions based on 2 games you saw. I'll make mine over a course of a season that I saw. I don't know why you're so defensive, I just gave my two sense, as I have probably seen him more than most people here. Apparently 29 NHL teams had the same opinion as me, as no team was willing to take a chance on him, other than the Jets. It's not the end all be all, but it is a good indication of where he stands right now, and how most scouts believe his play rates. That can change of course, but I have yet to see it.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Ok. You can make your opinions based on 2 games you saw. I'll make mine over a course of a season that I saw. I don't know why you're so defensive, I just gave my two sense, as I have probably seen him more than most people here. Apparently 29 NHL teams had the same opinion as me, as no team was willing to take a chance on him, other than the Jets. It's not the end all be all, but it is a good indication of where he stands right now, and how most scouts believe his play rates. That can change of course, but I have yet to see it.

Why would you assume that someone that disagrees with you is being defensive? I assure you that is not the case. You point out that he was passed on in the draft; no kidding. Yet, at the same time he was also able to make the Oilers draft picks look pretty plain in Penticton so perhaps the Jets might be onto something.

He is a project player, FYI.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Why would you assume that someone that disagrees with you is being defensive? I assure you that is not the case. You point out that he was passed on in the draft; no kidding. Yet, at the same time he was also able to make the Oilers draft picks look pretty plain in Penticton so perhaps the Jets might be onto something.

He is a project player, FYI.

Again 1 game, and to be honest, every team made the Oilers prospects look plain, because lets face it, its not the greatest prospect pool with all their recent graduates.

Yes, he is a project, and I was just giving my views on him. If he changes and improves great, that would be great for the 'Canes, and I would be happy. But I was just saying my opinion of him based on his play that I've seen over the course of many games.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Again 1 game, and to be honest, every team made the Oilers prospects look plain, because lets face it, its not the greatest prospect pool with all their recent graduates.

He gained like 15 pounds over the summer and is still gaining weight.

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/10703

Scouting isn't about where they stand today or last season but rather is about projections down the road. They aren't judging the kid based upon one game but rather have seen a lot of him both in their prospect camp and main camp, and they surely scouted him in the Dub as well. He is big and protects the puck well and can skate. I'll defer to the Jets assessment of him versus that of some random Oilers fan. If they sign him, cool. Regardless, for an undrafted kid he was a star against the Oilers draft picks. Heh.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
The Jets are nowhere near the pro contract limit. I am all for them taking flyers like this. No doubt Blommer has some work to do and of course he is unlikely to ever make the show, but they obviously like something that they saw.

It am curious to see how he fills out. The gains Lowry made as his mass caught up to his frame were nutty. Can that happen here (obviously to a less extent) kid has a decent tool box.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The Jets are nowhere near the pro contract limit. I am all for them taking flyers like this. No doubt Blommer has some work to do and of course he is unlikely to ever make the show, but they obviously like something that they saw.

It am curious to see how he fills out. The gains Lowry made as his mass caught up to his frame were nutty. Can that happen here (obviously to a less extent) kid has a decent tool box.

This contract will also not count this year as he is/will be assigned to juniors.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
This contract will also not count this year as he is/will be assigned to juniors.

I haven't looked it up, but I wonder how many teams have fewer pro contracts than the Jets do at the moment. I believe it was LeBrun who said the flames have lots of room for contracts - they are are 45 or 46 - I believe the Jets are at 41.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Kid looked pretty good in the Penticton tournament, and with his contract not even counting against the limit, I'm really struggling to find a downside here.

The odds are that he doesn't become anything special, or that he never makes it out of the AHL, but he's got excellent size, looked to move pretty well in the Penticton games, and has the "potential" to become something.

It will be interesting to watch and hear about him this year. I don't know much about the Swedish World Junior roster, but any chance he gets a sniff this year?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
He might have looked bad in Lethbridge last year, but he's looking pretty good this year. I thought he looked pretty darned good in the prospects tourney.

Besides, I want a guy named Axel on our team!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad